Author Topic: Benjamin Holliday born about 1797 in Frome Somerset  (Read 2871 times)

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Holliday born about 1797 in Frome Somerset
« on: Friday 18 May 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
Hello, Does anyone know anything about the birth of this relative of mine who was born in or near to Frome in about 1797. He married Caroline Carter in Shoreditch & died in 1861 in Stepney, East London. It would be great to have his birth date, baptism date & at which Church, & names of father + mother. I have lots of details of his life in London, but none of his birth & family in Frome. If anyone can help me with info I would be very grateful, Michael

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Holliday born about 1797 in Frome Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
Any possibility that he married twice, and that this is the birth of a daughter from his first marriage?

from IGI

Susannah Holloday christened 23rd August 1812 at Wesleyan Methodist, Frome, Somerset
Father Benjamin Holloday, Mother Betty.

Alternatively could this be a sister?

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, Thanks for your suggestions. On various genealogy websites [Ancestry, FindMyPast & FreeReg] I have found quite a number of Hollidays [or near spelling variations] in Frome from around 1750-1850 but no direct evidence of his birth details. In the English 1851 & 1861 Censuses he is shown as being born in around 1797 in Frome, Somerset [at the time living in East London & working as a tailor]. However it has been very difficult to find any direct evidence for his birth/baptism, I have even wondered if his baptism was done just before his marriage to Caroline but have found nothing. He is one of my direct descendants so I am very keen to find out his birth/baptism details. Any further info or thoughts would be most welcome. Kind regards, Michael

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 18 23:21 BST (UK) »
He married Caroline 2.2.1818 and entry shows he was a bachelor.

One of the witnesses was a Sarah Holliday
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
I have found numerous Sarah Holliday's in Middlesex around the time of Benjamin & Caroline's wedding. I am not sure whether this could be his mother, sister, cousin or other relative! I'm perplexed

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 18 07:48 BST (UK) »
Have you tried http://www.sdfhs.org

They found a 1795 baptism in  Rodden ( a parish in the hundred of Frome) for me.

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that suggestion

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to find Benjamin's birth, but there are a couple of snippets that may be worth following......

There is a Thomas Holliday, born c. 1794 Frome living in London and easily traceable on all census, he and his wife Elizabeth (possibly Vickers) were baptising children in Stepney with his occupation given as a tailor.

The only Somerset baptism I can find is a fair distance from Frome....Benjamin Holliday, bapt 3 Apr 1796 at Lydiard Tregoze, s/o Thomas and Mary.

There is the following marriage.... Benjamin Holliday, Taylor married Betty Chapman, both otp,  by licence, with consent of parents at St John the Baptist, Frome, 13 Apr 1754. Whilst they are most likely too old to be your Benjamin's parents, it is interesting that their daughter Susannah Dredge (Holliday) was baptised in 1812 at the Methodist Methodist Church in Frome at the age of 52.

This would imply that this family were nonconformists and there may not be baptisms records available.

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline drmjgould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo, Thanks for your interesting suggestions. I am following up on Thomas Holliday [on ancestry.co.uk]. Regarding baptism at Lydiard Tregoze, I don't think that is my BH as there are a number of Holliday's in that area that remain there when my BH is in East London. With the non-conformist idea that is certainly a possibility, though not carried on in BH or Thomas' life in London [from their BMD church details]. Getting back to Thomas Holliday I hope to do more research on him to see if I can find any concrete links with BH. Again many thanks for your input on this, I am very grateful & would welcome any further thoughts from you, best wishes Michael