Author Topic: Parish Clerk  (Read 1642 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Clerk
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 May 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
        My ancestor was the first clerk of St Margaret's Hollinwood near Oldham when it opened in 1769,  I have wondered if the parish registers are his handwriting or would the curate do that?

Check the marriage register.

I have an ancestor who was parish clerk in one of the Westminster churches around the same time.  He signed as witness to somewhere between 25% and 75% of the marriages on most of the pages in the register.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:42 BST (UK) »
The parish clerk was often witness at a marriage because he had to be present in order to open the parish chest to get the register out.

Sometimes, like James Liptrot at Bolton's parish church, prepared the marriage entry to the point of just needing the signatures adding (including "<name of party> her mark").

A relative of mine was parish clerk for 30+ years in the early 19th century. The clergyman liked doing the form-filling, but he signed as witness, even when there were already two signatures. He lived in a large house close to the church; apparently he was not a farmer, so inherited his money. He is down with the occupation of Parish Clerk on the 1841 census, but he was probably too old to be enumerator - 68, NOT rounded down. It's possible that he got someone else to do the leg work. He HAD been responsible for the 1821 census, along with a prominent farmer.
There are also documents referring to him as being responsible for maintaining (or failing to maintain!) the roads, so there were other parish tasks involved in the job.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 May 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I did a search on the witness section on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks and his name
came up as a witness to several marriages that didnt seem to be relatives, but at Prestwich not
St Margarets as I dont think St Margarets was licenced for marriages in its early days.
I compared the signatures and he didnt seem to be a very good writer, so pobably did not have
anything to do with the registers. His grandson was a local dialect poet and published a book in 1875
and the preface confirms his grandfather was the first clerk, taking up his duties about 1765
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks