Author Topic: Child 'boarders' of Forest Gate census 1911  (Read 2487 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Child 'boarders' of Forest Gate census 1911
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 May 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
Reading back over the old thread, I am reminded that we established that:

Henry Adams of 35 Hawley Rd was linked by the 1907 electoral roll also to Aldebert Terrace, Stockwell.

Henry Adam [sic] of Aldebert Terrace, Stockwell, was linked by 1902 newspaper reports to Govan, Glasgow and was described as a brother-in-law of John Miller (a chemist) and brother of Mary Miller nee Adam.  The 1891 Scotland census showed these people together in Dunoon, Argyll; Henry Adam was born c1870 Glasgow.

Henry Adam had, according to the 1902 news reports, previously been employed in Mexico by John Miller.

Has anything been done since the work on that thread in looking into the Scottish angle?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Who is Ursula?

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Child 'boarders' of Forest Gate census 1911
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 May 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks for your interest. It is appreciated.

After finding out about the address link between a Henry Adams and Henry Adam of Govan in the newspaper article, I started looking at Henry Adam(s). He was a railway engineer who travelled a lot because of his work. .....A guy on ancestry who is interested in his engineering has taken an interest in that particular ancestor. I approached him. He wanted to help but knew nothing about Ivy Marguerite Adams or her mother Marguerite Strain.

Henry Adam is born 15th Feb 1870 in Tradeston, Glasgow to Jessie (nee Galt) and James Adam.
1871 he is 1 yrs in Govan with Jessie and James Adam.
1891 he is a Mechanical Engineer in Fairfeld, Dunoon & Kilmun living with his sister Mary, her husband John Miller (Analytical Chemist) and his older brother John Adam a doctor
1893 called Harry Adam he is an Engineer going from Glasgow to Montreal
1895 he is on the Campania going from Queenstown port to NY
1901 he is recorded as Harry Adam in Old Kilpatrick visiting the Brunton family
Aug 9th 1901 Harry Adam (Locomotive Engineer) of residence 15 Priory Road Lambeth marries Margaret Brunton in Glasgow.
1902 he goes to Costa Rica. Same year daughter Margarita born in Govan.
1904 son Harry born in Costa Rica.
1909 son Thomas born in Stranorlar.
1911 Ireland census he is Henry Adams living with Margaret and children Margarita B, Harry R and Thomas B in Stranolar, Donegal. Working as a Foreman Locomotive Engineer.
Then he went to USA, Yorkshire, then died in Luton in 1947.

Marguerite Strain: taking up the Margaret Strain born 1885 in Greengains, Lanarkshire possible link, I found her in 1901 working on West Drumoyne Farm, Govan, owned by Mrs. Archibald Miller (78) with her son William (57). This seemed a strange coincidence as the sister of Henry Adam, Mary was married to a John Miller. I have tried to find a link between John Miller and the Archibald Miller family. I haven't found anything yet.

Charles Henry Read:
1891 census Lambeth there is a Charles H living with father George R Read a steam and hot water fitter (any connection to railway? Who knows?)

1911 there is an Arthur G Read family in West Ham. Some of his children are teachers at a 'Board' school. Connection? Who knows?

Sarah Read:
I tried to connect Sarah Read the servant living with another Henry Adams (Draper connection) of Hornsey in 1901 with the Read family Ivy Marguerite was living with in 1911, but have failed to do so.

This is where I am so far. There are lots of Henry Adams around, but can't find any connections.
Though the Albion Villa residence does seem to be connected with licensed victuallers.