Author Topic: Windows 10 update - BIG trouble!  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 update - BIG trouble!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:06 BST (UK) »
I personally would try an automatic remote restart.
Switch the computer on. If nothing happens after about 2 minutes, switch it off at the "Wall socket" not at the power button, and unplug it. Leave it for 1 minute to clear the memory and reconnect the mains cable and switch it back on. It will try and upload 10. If it does not, repeat the action 2 or 3 times. Microsoft should pick up the error, and initiate a remote startup. Basically, you are acting like you have had a power-cut.
That's what I had to do after the first 2018 update.

Malky

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 19 May 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi STG...I really feel for you...after the latest update the day before yesterday my photo Editing Software Elements V. 14 now doesn't work and it would seem Adobe can't fix it either from what I have read  >:(

I hope this solves your problem for you:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/cwindowssystem32configsystemprofiledesktop-is/4faa2c49-c964-44c8-b38f-02432af8ee0e

Carol

I'm afraid it doesn't.  I fail at the first hurdle "Open File Explorer".  My screen doesn't show it.  There's no search function, no list of programs, none of the function keys have any function.  Nothing.  There's only one icon - Recycle Bin - but the only option with that is Open, and when I click Open it says I'm asking for a function that's not available. 

Am completely stumped. 

STG

So how can you shut down?

By pressing the Power button.  Nothing else works!

Wow.... not good!

I'm looking at   Way 1: Enter Safe Mode when you can’t boot normally but have never had to do it!

Press the power button to turn on your PC, then hold the power button down until PC shuts down automatically (about 5 seconds) . Repeat this more than 2 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair (see below screenshot).

Note: This step is aim to bring up Preparing Automatic Repair screen. When Windows doesn’t boot properly, this screen pops up and Windows attempts to fix the problem by itself.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-enter-safe-mode-in-windows-10/

You are already holding the power button down until PC shuts down automatically (about 5 seconds) .

It says....  Repeat this more than 2 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair (see below screenshot)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Does pressing CTRL + ALT + DEL together not take you to another screen with the option to sign out (among others), or at the bottom right a power symbol (as well as others) which should give you the option to shutdown?  You will probably need to press all three for a couple of seconds rather than just momentarily.  Sounds like your login profile has been corrupted or renamed by the upgrade.  Is there another login account setup on the PC?

Pressing the power button runs the risk of corrupting windows further, but if all else fails there isn't much else you can do.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 May 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Usually when I switch the system on, after a few seconds of the HP logo, up comes "Welcome SmallTownGirl" and a space for me to type in my password. 

Since the update, I often can't get to the login bit, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

After an hour or so of turning it on and off, I've now got

We have some updates for you

This may take several minutes

Don't turn off your PC

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

Nope.  Just takes me to the ".... \desktop is not available."

I don't seem to be able to force it into Safe Mode/whatever it's called.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Usually when I switch the system on, after a few seconds of the HP logo, up comes "Welcome SmallTownGirl" and a space for me to type in my password. 

Since the update, I often can't get to the login bit, sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

After an hour or so of turning it on and off, I've now got

We have some updates for you

This may take several minutes

Don't turn off your PC

STG

So did you get updates?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:43 BST (UK) »
Did you try

Way 3: Start Safe Mode from the login screen

If you can boot to the login screen, you can enter Safe Mode from the login screen. The steps are similar with the steps of Way 1.

1) On your keyboard, hold down the Shift key.

2) While holding down the Shift key, on the login screen (you may call it sign in screen), at the bottom right of the corner, click the power button then select Restart. Then Windows will bring up the Windows RE (Recovery environment) screen.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
2) While holding down the Shift key, on the login screen (you may call it sign in screen), at the bottom right of the corner, click the power button Icon   then select Restart. Then Windows will bring up the Windows RE (Recovery environment) screen.

Offline angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
Glad I saw this thread. I'm having exactly the same problem as STG. I shall try these suggestions tomorrow.
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 20 May 18 07:58 BST (UK) »
OK.

The Shift/Right click the Power icon and selecting Restart worked up to a point.

I followed it through to Advanced Options - Start up settings - but after selecting my user name and inputting my password and it thinking for a couple of minutes, it gave me a message saying it couldn't repair my start up.

I'm now sitting looking at the Reset My PC options which are
1. Keep my Files (Removes apps and settings but keeps your personal files)
2. Remove Everything (Removes all of your personal files, apps and settings)

I back up my personal files every week, but am still going for Option 1.

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)