Author Topic: Windows 10 update - BIG trouble!  (Read 6847 times)

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 update - BIG trouble!
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark - I too suffered the collapse of my system (which is possibly due to a clash with AVAST & AVG free virus protection software - I had AVG). 

My laptop is useable once more - albeit void of software.  As I am weeks away from my install CDs it will be a while before I have everything up and running again, but all that I need to do can be done with free software (three cheers for LibraOffice, GIMP, Irfanview, FileZilla, etc).  As I had begun to accept a few weeks without my laptop you can imagine how happy I am!.  Thanks Hallmark!
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline cravend

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 24 May 18 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I write this with some trepidation as I am, by no means, a computer wiz. I had to do a reset on my laptop, some time ago, which was succesfull. When I next ran a security scan, full, it seemed to take hours. The reason for this was that the old version of W10 was lodged in the Temporary files and needed to be removed to free up memory. I seem to recall reading that it may be done automatically after 10 days? I searched the Microsoft Windows forum to see how to do the removal. It's quite straightforward so long as you take care which boxes you check.
Pete

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 24 May 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark - I too suffered the collapse of my system (which is possibly due to a clash with AVAST & AVG free virus protection software - I had AVG). 

My laptop is useable once more - albeit void of software.  As I am weeks away from my install CDs it will be a while before I have everything up and running again, but all that I need to do can be done with free software (three cheers for LibraOffice, GIMP, Irfanview, FileZilla, etc).  As I had begun to accept a few weeks without my laptop you can imagine how happy I am!.  Thanks Hallmark!

You're welcome!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 24 May 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I write this with some trepidation as I am, by no means, a computer wiz. I had to do a reset on my laptop, some time ago, which was succesfull. When I next ran a security scan, full, it seemed to take hours. The reason for this was that the old version of W10 was lodged in the Temporary files and needed to be removed to free up memory. I seem to recall reading that it may be done automatically after 10 days? I searched the Microsoft Windows forum to see how to do the removal. It's quite straightforward so long as you take care which boxes you check.
Pete

Yes that's what happened to one person they couldn't login as Windows had created a "Duplicate profile" the computer couldn't figure out which of the 2 wanted to log in....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline trish58

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 25 May 18 00:35 BST (UK) »
You really do need to get out more Malky  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Carol
That would be 'beep beep'
Rae, Feeney, Singleton, Appleton, Agnew, McKeachie,
Fury, & many more