Author Topic: Unknown matches: illegitimacy or over-reaction?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Billesher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown matches: illegitimacy or over-reaction?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 May 18 06:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you David and David for your excellent suggestions.

I've used the surname search on all my great-grandfather's lines, and found no meaningful connections: none at all for his mother and both grandmothers' rare names, and no obviously pertinent matches for his own extremely common surname.

I also tried searching in the 'place search' for the main areas in his ancestry, and again received negligible results.

Of course, I've also looked into those without trees (who wouldn't come up on such a search as I understand), and none of those seem relevant.

Anther point is that I know there is an American mormon distant branch on that side, who are very involved in genealogy and I was expecting to see them come up in my matches.

In short, I've yet to come across any match that I can say matches any lines of that great-grandfather's family.

As for your question, it's mostly based on looking at their trees (the ones that have comprehensive ones), as well as my own research into their trees (eg the ones that only go back 1-2 generations). When tracing these back, I was astounding to keep coming back to the same names and places, eg the "Smythe" family.

I have contacted the closer connections, and only 2 have replied, one we can't find the connection as their paternal side is unknown, and the other, has a comprehensive tree in the same vicinity as the "Smythe" family, with a potential link in the mid-18th century.

I would very much like to hear how you would continue to approach this, what the steps would be. So far you've both given me such guidance and much to work on.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 May 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
I would download my files to as many sites as possible ie gedmatch and MyHeritage allow free uploads

Or any other site that does. The idea behind this is to cast your net but also to remove any bias in the results
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 May 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
I agree with David about uploading to other sites, always good to look at more matches.

Other than that, there probably isn't much more you can do at this stage. At the moment it is speculation, but highly likely. Until the 2nd and 3rd cousins reply, it remains speculation.  I suggest you watch and wait, sooner or later you might contact someone who was told a tale about her ancestor having a 'fling' before he was married.

Have you got your grandfather's birth certificate, or looked up details on GRO? I was searching long and hard for a birth registration for one family member, no signs at all. I later found him registered under his mother's surname, though she had married by that stage.

I think you have to assume that you have discovered your real great grandfather (or at least, his siblings and parents) unless other evidence comes along to refute it. Build a tree around the new man, just like you did when you started researching your family tree, (many long years ago?).

In some ways it's like an adoptee today doing their DNA - start off investigating likely matches, what family names to pursue and build up a case for and against different candidates, if any.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 May 18 13:41 BST (UK) »
Quick note about surname searches at ancestry, in case you hadn't realised. They are not reliable at all, missing some good matches.

I was beginning to think the same as you, that my Steer line was in dispute, as I found no Steer matches at all for my great grandfather's line, plenty for his wife's line. Browsing new matches I came across someone with the same Steer line as mine, but she didn't show up in surname search.

In your case, had it only been 4 to 6 cousins you matched with, I doubt if you would have found out what you have so far, you would just have wondered how they all connected to you.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go