Author Topic: Turnbull connection  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Turnbull connection
« on: Saturday 19 May 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Hope someone can help, my brain has frazzled.

I know that my father Alexander Page-Robertson (1918-1959) and his mother Mary Page-Robertson (Gourock and Glasgow residents) sailed from Liverpool on the ‘Alondra’ for the Canary Isles on 9th October 1926. Dad’s grandmother was a Mary Turnbull, 1849-1932, her maiden name, so if she was a passenger she would have been listed as Page-Robertson as well.
On the Passenger list is a Mrs M M Turnbull and a Mr or Master A F? N?  Turnbull, aged 19, address 9 Bank St. Hillhead Glasgow. When I search Valuations Roll, there is entry Alexander Turnbull (P & O) THE HERITABLE CREDITORS OF MESSRS. DEMPSTER & DALZELL at that address, but it’s listed as ‘Govan’ not ‘Hillhead’.
Are these Turnbulls related to me or is it a coincidence they were on the same ship?
I have a photo of Dad on a pony in the Canary Islands, the reins held by a young man, who I wonder might be the 19 year old mentioned. I grew up with the story that ‘Cousin Alex Turnbull” was Dad’s favourite relative growing up. I’m hoping to get a positive link to those Turnbulls, so I can pursue that line. I come from a one child only for 3 generations, so there are not too many of us to look for, but I’m hopeful the Turnbull line should be going on, somewhere, perhaps still in Glasgow.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull connection
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 18 00:43 BST (UK) »
There are a few business related articles in the Glasgow Herald from 1931-1933

Alex AM Turnbull ( Turnbull & Co)
Electrical Engineers
9 Bank Street, Hillead

The following shows as Govan rather than Hillhead?
TURNBULL
ALEXANDER
Proprietor Occupier
HOUSE 9 BANK STREET
GOVAN

Looks like above is the father. Possibly died pre 1930?
The following look like mother and son

TURNBULL
MARY M
MRS
Proprietor
SHOP 9 BANK STREET
GOVAN

TURNBULL
ALEXANDER A M
Tenant
SHOP 9 BANK STREET
GOVAN

Possible marriage?

TURNBULL
ALEXANDER
MITCHELL
MARY MUIR
644/9 38
Kelvin

Is the son Alexander Andrew Mitchell Turnbull b 1906.?
Birth registered both Dunoon and Anderston

EDIT:
Family is in Dunoon at 1911:
 510/1 2/ 2
Dunoon
Argyll

Alexander age 64
Mary M age 44
Alexander A age 4
Marcilla GY Turnbull age 23

( possibly a 2nd marriage for Alexander Snr? Is he a brother of your dad's grandmother?)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Great info, Anne  :)

Just adding a link to someone's research on this line www.geni.com/people/Alex-Turnbull/3547267

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Thought it looked about right Monica. ;D

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:01 BST (UK) »
From the Calendar of Confirmations 1926

Turnbull,Alexander,  "Ruberslaw " Innellan, Argyllshire and 9 Bank Street, Hillhead,Glasgow, died 25 June 1926 at Innellan, testate.  Confirmation Glasgow, 22 September, to Mary Muir Mitchell or Turnbull,9 Bank Street, aforesaid, his widow .

Seems to back up what Anne has found. Death on SP gives age as 79.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
There is an obituary for Alexander Turnbull in the Milngavie and Bearsden Herald 2 July 1926.

It states he was well known in engineering circles... was a native of Kelso... early in life he took up residence in Glasgow...in 1876 became the founder of a firm of engineers and valvemakers now carried on in Bishopbriggs under the name of Alexander Turnbull and Co Ltd... and invented various types of safety valves and other appliances associated with steam boilers...he is survived by his wife and one son.

The same article is in the Kirkintilloch Herald 30 June 1926.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone, I’m not sure if it’s clarified it for me. My research has a Charles Turnbull 1812-1874, photographer. As well as Mary Turnbull who became a Page-Robertson, his son Charles 1851-? photographer, another son Robert 1842-1891, photographer. All of the children were listed on Census as photographer’s assistants. Son Robert also has a son Charles 1872-?, pawnbroker, and a son Robert, 1879-?, photographer. The Turnbull & Sons business as photographers was very successful, right into the early 1900’s, but I can’t find an ‘Alex’ anywhere! I remember by parents going to a 25th wedding anniversary celebration for a Turnbull in Glasgow, around 1958, so the wedding they were celebrating would have been around 1933. I’ll have to keep digging I think!

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 00:46 BST (UK) »
Boomeranger,
Your great grandmother, Mary Robertson maiden name Turnbull... what were the parent names showing on her marriage and death certificates?

Offline Boomeranger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
Mary McFarlane, b. 1816, d. 30 Dec.1874, 1 Northcumberland St. Crosshill, Glasgow.
Charles Turnbull, b. 1812, d. 16 Oct. 1874 same address. Both death certificates witnessed by son Robert Turnbull, 75 Jamaica St. Glasgow