Author Topic: NSW CD-ROM  (Read 1431 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
NSW CD-ROM
« on: Saturday 19 May 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Can I get a copy of this from anywhere?

The New South Wales pioneers index 1788-1918: an index to birth, death and marriage records on CD-ROM.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW CD-ROM
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
What did you want from it?
If it is a specific record, why not ask here?  Someone will surely have access to it.

However, what's on it is also on the NSW BDM  website. ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
I was ferreting about (technical term :) ) on the internet one day looking for anything relating to my son-in-law's gt gt grandparents, Samuel Brown and Honora Hanlon, when I came across a family history website that contained references to Samuel and his second wife, Pamela Wyman, and their family. An unsourced note against Samuel provided some interesting information about his children with Honora, and about their daughter Bridget specifically. I also noticed that there were details of baptisms that  I not been able to find when reseaching. The website creator credited a "NSW CDROM" as one of his sources, and gave an email address for the person who provided it.

I contacted the website creater via the form on the site to ask if they would be willing to share research relating to the people we shared an interest in common, but got a rather non-committal reply. When I asked a couple of specific questions in return, the answers were no more enlightening. The email message to the CD supplier bounced, and I couldn't find any copies for sale, only for reference in Australia.

So, I turned to that community where there is an abundant supply of amazingly talented, enthusiatic and knowledgable people who I knew would have the answer to my question, hence my original post.

It's quite possible, of course, that the CD has nothing more than the index entries already available online on the NSW website, so a secondary question, is that assumption correct, and would I be wasting my money in trying to get copies of the CD?

Thanks already to a reply to an ealier post of mine, I was pointed to an obituary for Samuel Brown, which, together with a transcription of his death register entry, an image of the marriage register for his oldest daughter with Pamela Wyman, and some interesting middle names for other children, has led me to Samuel's family in the UK.

So, in answer to the original question, I am still looking for any information about Samuel Brown and his family and their life in Oz, and as a result chasing up any source references used by anyone else in their research. You never know what might just turn up ...
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
You can get the exact dates for the event by drilling down on the NSW BDM's online indexes.  The CD is similar to the current online index, and does not give you a transcription of the registration.  You can figure out some of the parishes on baptisms/burials on the CD (not on the online index).  It covers less years than the online index, except that the births go to the end of December 1918, ie once we get to the end of this current year (2018) the CD will be totally out of date.   I cannot remember if it worked on my 32bit system, but I know I gave my copy away to my local family history group, when I updated my puter to Vista 64bit, and that was errr ... perhaps 10 years ago. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Mezentia,
The online NSW BDM online index currently allows searching for records http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

Births up to 19 May,1918 (over 100 years ago)
    Marriages up to 19 May, 1968 (over 50 years ago)
    Deaths up to 19 May, 1988 (over 30 years ago)

And tomorrow they will include up to 20 May and so on.

So it will be a day past the end of the year before it includes all 1918 births.

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 18 11:37 BST (UK) »
Samuel left a will. Can I get hold of a copy? If so from where/how?

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
When and where did he die Mezentia?

If there is a probate packet at NSW State Archives https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/ then I can photograph it next time I am there.  Probate packet contains a will, usually a death cert, names and locations of heirs etc.  Occasionally extra certs.

I think FindMyPast has copies of the wills from the will books of NSW State archives.

Ros
adding : there is a gap in the online probate indexes for deaths between 1890 and 1927 but I can check the microfiche index when I am there. 

If he died in NSW then tell us the year of his death and I can search the online indexes or the microfiche for you.

Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 May 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Samuel Brown, died 14 Nov 1889 in Bolivia, NSW. A notice about probate appeals in the Gazette on 25 Nov.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 May 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Mezentia,
   Here it is
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/312421

I will photograph the probate packet next time I am there.

Ros