Author Topic: Searching for Parents of Lancelot Tate  (Read 4244 times)

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Parents of Lancelot Tate
« on: Saturday 19 May 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hello. I have tried various sources including Family Search and have been unable to find the parents of Lancelot Tate who married Margaret Hays.  I have found information about his descendants, but cannot plug him into my tree since I cannot locate his parents.

Lancelot Tate
1787–1852
BIRTH 1787 • Doddington, Northumberland, England
DEATH 1852 • Tynemouth, Northumberland, England

Any assistance you can provide is appreciated. 

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Parents of Lancelot Tate
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 May 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
How sure are you that he was born in Doddington. You say he died 1852 yet the only Lancelot Tate I can find in Northumberland in the 1851 Census states that he was born North Shields and the same chap in 1841 says he wasn't born in county.

There is a Lancelot Tait born circa 1787 who was buried in Doddington in 1841.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 May 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
I think it was the son of Lancelot Tate and Margaret Hays, also called Lancelot, who died in 1852. (Groindex gives his est. age at death as 45).

This is his baptism from the Tynemouth Bt's.

Lancelot Tate born Oct 20 1806 Bap. 15 Jan 1809 1st son of Lancelot Tate labr. n of Durham by his wife Margt. Hayes Na of this Parish.

A sister called Isabella was baptised on the same day.

Added the baptism of  Ann Tate 8 July 1812, parents Lancelot Tate and Margaret Hays,  also states that Lancelot was a native of Durham.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 May 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
This might be Lancelot Tate senior's death

North and South Shields Gazette 30 March 1855

At Stephenson Street, on the 20th inst., aged 86, Mr Lancelot Tate, Trimmer.

Trimmer is the occupation of the Lancelot Tate that Emeltom found in the 1841 census in Tynemouth while Stephenson Street is the address given in the 1851 census.

And this might be the burial of Margaret Tate.

Margaret Wife of Lancelot Tate (abode Tynemouth) buried 1 October 1840 age 56. (Tynmouth Bts. 1835 - 1841 image 655).

There is a newspaper notice in the Northern Liberator 10 Oct 1840

At Tynemouth on the 29th ultimo ... aged 56 Margaret, widow of the late Mr Lancelot Tate.

The Tynemouth Bts are very specific at this time - Margaret's burial entry clearly states "wife of" - other entries indicate that the deceased were widows. I would be more inclined to think that the newspaper has made an error.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
emeltom: The information regarding Doddington is from family records.  I haven't found any outside documents (baptismal certificate, etc.) to substantiate that.

Isabella and Lancelot, Jr. were twins. Our records show that they had an older brother named Thomas (b. 1805) who eventually married a woman named Ann Charlton.

Thanks for the information about the death of Lancelot and Margaret.  They continue to float in the tree as long as I cannot anchor him to his parents.  The search continues...... 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/marriage-register.shtml?indexDate=185&surname=Tate&firstname=Lancelot&mode=search

There is a Lancelot Tate who married a Jane Spence at Christ Church, North Shields in 1852.  Might be have been a relation?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, this is Lancelot, Jr. (b. 1806).

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Lancelot and Isabella Tate were baptised on the same day but I do not think they were twins. Lancelot, as stated earlier, was born Oct 20 1806 while the Bt states that Isabella was born 18 Dec 1808. (See image 632 Tynemouth Bts 1762 - 1813).

Do you have baptism for Margaret Hayes and her parents names? It is always worth considering looking at the names of children to see if a naming pattern is going on.

William

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 May 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
I could look up marriage for you do not already have info and also see what other info there may be on the Tate's when I am next at North Shields library this week. :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner