Author Topic: Searching for Parents of Lancelot Tate  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Parents of Lancelot Tate
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
perhaps just a miss understanding as the first son had died and they assumed the next child as the first living son
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:33 BST (UK) »
Yes its quite normal when a first child dies, that the next one is the new first child. Its just that RSGrosse stated that according their records the 1805 Thomas went on to marry Ann Charlton, clearly not possible. I think its probably the 1816 Thomas.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
I am sure you are correct, Alan. Thomas Tate (transcribed as Late) is showing as born c 1816 in the 1851 census . His age has been transcribed as 65 in the 1861 census but image would suggest 45 (although p.o.b given as Bishopwearmouth). Son Lancelot born 1857 Sunderland - mmn Charlton.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 May 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
River Tyne, thank you for your offer.  The library might have info which I cannot find elsewhere. Is North Shields part of Tynemouth or a different area?  I'm reasonably familiar with the Yorkshire and Warwickshire areas, but not Northumberland.

I knew that Thomas was the first child born; however, I didn't know that he died as an infant.  Naming a second child with the same name is certainly not surprising.  It is very likely that the second Thomas married Ann Charlton. 

This information is very helpful.  Based upon the age of Lancelot, Sr. and the fact that they are from Durham, not Northumberland, I have very strong feeling that I know how he connects to my Tate family.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 20 May 18 21:03 BST (UK) »
Possibly the brother of Lancelot who lived in Tynemouth and John the son of Lancelot and Isabella
Bishops transcripts,South Shields.
Isabella Tate,
1st Daughter
born 7th October 1805
baptised 2nd Feb 1806
father John a shipwright,native of Elvet
mother Mary formerly Simpson,native of Whitburn

-------------------
Mary Tate,
2nd daughter
born 22nd November 1806
baptised 25th Jan 1807
father John Tate shipwright native of Bonhall,
Mother Mary late simpson native of Whitburn
----------------
Lancelot Tate,
9th June 1819
father John Tate shipwright
mother Mary
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 20 May 18 21:13 BST (UK) »

Isabella Tate.
burial St HildaSouth Shields,
9th August 1806
aged 10 months
father John a shipwright,
mothers maiden name Simpson
burial 23rd July 1810
Ann Tait
South shields St Hilda
aged 2 years
father John a shipwright
mother Mary
-----------------

Offline RSGrosse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 20 May 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
Radcliff, thank you for this.  This is the family of Lancelot, Jr.'s brother, John (b. 1773).

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 20 May 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Yes I do think it is Lancelots brother John (1773) living in South Shields,of course you will need to confirm it but the will if you have accessed it states,Lancelots  sons are  James John and Lancelot, I tried to put the will on here but the file s to big

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 20 May 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
1841 CENSUS
Hill St Westoe,South Shields
John Tate shipwright aged 70,born in county
Mary Tate,aged 65 born in county