Author Topic: Mary Green of Swavesey  (Read 871 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mary Green of Swavesey
« on: Sunday 20 May 18 12:19 BST (UK) »
Mary Green was the second wife of my ancestor William Fair(e)y and according to the census returns she would have been born about 1784 in Swavesey.  They married in Ellington, Hunts., in 1811.  I have all the census returns showing Mary, William and their children, but can't seem to get any further back to find her parents.  William was a Baptist, but Mary clearly was not, because she had to stand up in the Baptist church in Spaldwick, Hunts.,to make her statement of belief and did so so badly that she was at first rejected and had to try again.  She died and was buried in Ellington in 1865.

There are a couple of Mary Greens baptised in Cambridgeshire around the right year, but none from Swavesey, which is her given birthplace consistently on the census records.

Any suggestions as to how I can trace her further would be greatly appreciated. :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Green of Swavesey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Images of the BTsfor Swavesey are available for view on familysearch via their Catalogue. Unfortunately 1783 is missing but there is no baptism that I can see fr a Mary Green from 1780 to 1786.

FreeReg has also transcribed the PRs for Swavesey covering the 1780s and again no baptism for a Mary Green.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Was there any indication on the marriage as to whether she was a spinster or widow  :-\

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Sadly no indication of whether either had been married before on the parish register entry, although we know that William was a widower, having been married previously to another Mary, Mary Bassett.  The couple were entered as both of this parish (Ellington) and the witnesses were Thomas Harper (probably parish clerk, as he wrote so well) and Christian Abbot (his mark).

There are earlier Mary Greens christened in Swavesey, but much earlier - 1723 and 1732 - and there are two tempting entries in 1784 in Staplefod, parents of these Marys were John and Alice and Charles and Sarah.  Maybe my Mary got her facts muddled.  Shall I ever know?

Thanks for your suggestions.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.