Author Topic: George (Gray) Watson - Liverpool-Buffalo 1906 (+return) - Help please  (Read 1610 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
George Watson (as he appears on the record) Accountant aged 45 (b. 5 July 1861, Rothes, Moray, Scotland) appears on the Manifest of the Empress Ireland departing Liverpool on 19 October 1906 with a destination of Quebec, arrival 26 October 1906. 

He states that his destination is Buffalo and doesn’t give any detail on family he is visiting, so I presume he has gone for work.  Does anyone know what the route from Liverpool to Buffalo would be?

Also, I can’t seem to find any return Manifest for George, who died in 1920 in Greenock, Scotland (unless someone can verify the record 5 May 1919 to Liverpool for me?).  Informant was not a family member.

I attach one of the threads re George
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=453458.msg3151138#msg3151138

thanks in advance, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George (Gray) Watson - Liverpool-Buffalo 1906 (+return) - Help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 18 15:58 BST (UK) »
The 5 May 1919 arrival from New York to Liverpool lists George Gray Watson, accountant, age 57, not accompanied by husband or wife, country of last permanent residence - Canada, country of intended future residence - Scotland.  The address given was Rothes, Elgin, Scotland.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what the route from Liverpool to Buffalo would be?
Buffalo, Canada

As George voyaged from Liverpool to Quebec,that leg of the journey is accounted for.

It would depend which Buffalo was George's destination:
Buffalo, Alberta, Canada (described by wiki as now a ghost town)
Several Buffalo or Buffalo City in the USA - but I would have thought New York would be a closer port than Quebec)

If George intended to go to to Buffalo, Canada he would have been going to an area of small towns and fur trappers.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shellyesq, looks like our man.

Also, thanks Phillip, divorce records did say he had gone to Canada, but we really have no idea whether it was Canada or USA.  It looks as if he may have been away from Scotland for 12 years.  Any idea what records I can try to access to see what he was up to during that time?

much appreciate your help.  Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Did he pass on in 1920?
Maggsie

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Yes Maggsie, he did.  It was in Greenock. Kit

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
The 5 May 1919 arrival from New York to Liverpool lists George Gray Watson, accountant, age 57, not accompanied by husband or wife, country of last permanent residence - Canada, country of intended future residence - Scotland.  The address given was Rothes, Elgin, Scotland.

This might suggest that his destination in 1906 was Buffalo, New York (maybe it was more convenient for him to get a ship from Liverpool to Quebec, then on to New York?)  However, I can't find a likely candidate on the 1910 US census

But.... the Canada 1906 and 1916 censuses in Red Deer, Alberta on familysearch have:
1906: George WATSON born c1862, single, immigration 1902) with siblings Brodie (b c1866) James (42) Kate (39) Edward (34)
1916: George WATSON born 1862, single, immigration 1911, with siblings James (50) Kate (49) Edward (39)

This George could be a red herring - familysearch does not have census images, only transcripts, and occupations are not shown, but if your George had the same siblings...?

Philip

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
But.... the Canada 1906 and 1916 censuses in Red Deer, Alberta on familysearch have:
1906: George WATSON born c1862, single, immigration 1902) with siblings Brodie (b c1866) James (42) Kate (39) Edward (34)
1916: George WATSON born 1862, single, immigration 1911, with siblings James (50) Kate (49) Edward (39)

This George was a farmer in 1916.

The 1906 passenger list seems to have George as a US citizen, so I would think Buffalo, New York would be the most likely destination.  Buffalo, NY is probably about the same distance from the Canadian ports as it would be from New York City, so back then, people would probably sail to whatever port was cheapest at the moment and take the train on to Buffalo.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 18 09:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking into possible records. George was definitely not a farmer and the names of the siblings are unknown. Kit