Author Topic: Glespin graveyards  (Read 1900 times)

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Glespin graveyards
« on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, some of my ancestors are from Glespin. I'm travelling down M74 next week and was going to detour and see if I could find their graves. So, question - how many churchyards are there? and if anyone knows a good place for a late breakfast that would be good. Thanks

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Glespin graveyards
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
Not knowing the years likely Douglas.

And not having eaten there...no idea.  But if it was me and I was continuing on the M6 I would forgo breakfast get off at Tebay and hit the Black Swan at Ravenstondale for brunch.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline idmmdi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:02 BST (UK) »
If it's Gray's you are looking for there are several listed in the old and new sections of Douglas cemetery.

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 18 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,
22 Headstones for Gray in Stonehouse, check out www.find a grave. com and you can find more  Grave yards in and around Douglas area South Lanarkshire.
Cheers

Offline lizci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 18 20:16 BST (UK) »
Glespin was in Douglas parish, so people who lived there are most likely to have been buried in one of the graveyards at Douglas.  There is the old graveyard at the historic St Bride's church http://www.douglashistory.co.uk/history/Places/Churches&Abbeys/stbride%27s_church.htm#.WwMZgriTsyk and a newer cemetery in Ayr Road https://www.southlanarkshire.gov.uk/directory_record/141001/douglas_cemetery

The other possibility would be Muirkirk if they had Ayrshire connections.  It isn't far from Glespin, and many mining families moved from parish to parish for work.

(They're unlikely to have been buried at Stonehouse as that is many miles away.)

There's a lovely little cafe/farm shop in Douglas called The Scrib Tree http://thescribtree.co.uk/

Lizci
Gilchrist, Twaddle, Jamieson - LANARKSHIRE; Moffat, Irving - DUMFRIESSHIRE; Ninian - FIFE/EDINBURGH/DUNDEE; Campbell - ARGYLL; Johnston - BERWICKSHIRE/ROXBURGHSHIRE/LANARKSHIRE; Swanston - BERWICKSHIRE; Pirie - ABERDEENSHIRE; Cameron - FORFARSHIRE/ABERDEENSHIRE; Alexander - FORFARSHIRE; Taylor - LANCASHIRE; Dee, Rudd, Vasseur - LONDON; Johnson, Wooding, Linger - BEDFORDSHIRE; Simmons, Lane - DEVON.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 June 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in replying, had Wi-Fi issues and new phone. Anyway, thanks to you all. We went to Glespin, via Douglas and stopped lady in the street and asked where graveyard was and it was on the road to Glespin, Gateside??? By total luck we found our gt grandparents James Robb and lillias Somerville (gray is my married name) and their son John who was killed in the mines 1934. Their other son Thomas was killed in 1930 at Bankend so I'm looking for him, think there was also son James. What a lovely churchyard and I seem to have lots of ancestors in it. Went to Glespin as I heard the farm shop was good - closed on Tuesday!! Googled the Black Swan, now, that looks good, will def do that next time. Appreciate all your help.

Offline bravaal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine,
             Bankend comes under the village of Coalburn which is in Lesmahagow parish and Thomas is buried in the cemetery there. His MI reads;
     In loving memory of Thomas Robb, Alexandra Cottage, Coalburn. Beloved husband of Ellen Rodger, died 30th Oct 1930 aged 42 years: also their daughter Jean Finlayson beloved wife of Alex, McLaren died 23rd Feb 1948: his beloved wife Ellen Rodger died 16th Nov 1981 aged 86 years.
Until the day dawns  (open Book) a token of respect to the memory of Thomas Robb from the officials and fellow workers Arden Colliery, Coalburn.

Arden Coal and Gas Company owned the mine at Bankend Their chimney can be seen at the end of the rows

Bravaal
All family names in South Lanarkshire

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 June 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for this, will definitely visit his grave next time I'm passing. Great to find out who his wife was, and Jean his daughter would have been my mums first cousin. This means a lot to me, really appreciate it. Just to find out what to the other brother James. That's one for the next time I'm down at the Mitchell library. Kind regards, Elaine

Offline Ubrianis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 March 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in replying, had Wi-Fi issues and new phone. Anyway, thanks to you all. We went to Glespin, via Douglas and stopped lady in the street and asked where graveyard was and it was on the road to Glespin, Gateside??? By total luck we found our gt grandparents James Robb and lillias Somerville (gray is my married name) and their son John who was killed in the mines 1934. Their other son Thomas was killed in 1930 at Bankend so I'm looking for him, think there was also son James. What a lovely churchyard and I seem to have lots of ancestors in it. Went to Glespin as I heard the farm shop was good - closed on Tuesday!! Googled the Black Swan, now, that looks good, will def do that next time. Appreciate all your help.

Hi
I think my Grandad knew John Robb