Author Topic: Libindx-incorrect info on an entry-how can this be amended?  (Read 2002 times)

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Libindx-incorrect info on an entry-how can this be amended?
« on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
This resource is fantastic and I have used it a number of times, especially with the Edgar/Watson side of things.  I've just revisited NM092805 for Edgar Watson b1901 (actually 1900) and have found that not only is the reference to his siblings incorrect, but it names 3 living children.

I don't think that I have ever provided information for this resource, and would be surprised if I had named these children.

What, if anything, can I do to try and correct this index entry?

thanks, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Cunningham: Heworth, Gateshead & Widnes & St Helens, originating Ireland
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //
Stewart: Angus // Watson: Moray & Jamaica // Watt: Cairnie

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Libindx-incorrect info on an entry-how can this be amended?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to contact them to let them know of the anomalies?

I have no connections at all to Scotland, and therefore have no insight into the workings of such sites.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi BumbleB, I plan to email but just wondered I suppose, whether it was user submitted and if the site could do anything if I pointed it out.

Hopefully someone with connections to the site might offer advice.

cheers, Kit
Rimmer/Appleton/Ashcroft: St Helens, Lancs // Cul(le)y:St Helens & Little Bolton // Stott: Huyton Quarry & Sutton, Lancs
Carson:Belfast? & St Helens // Kelly:Mullingar, West Meath? & St Helens // Ronan: Ferns, Wexford & St Helens // Daley:Oranmore & Athenry, Co Galway //
Edgar: Bellie, Moray // Anderson: Selkirk // Rutherford: Hobkirk, Roxburghshire //

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 22:15 BST (UK) »
Kit, I have sent you a PM.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 18 11:46 BST (UK) »
On looking further at this on LIBINDX, I see that Edgar Watson's mother was Helen Taylor Edgar, daughter of James Edgar and Isabella Ingram.

Helen's sister Beatrice Gordon Edgar (1883-1971) married my second cousin twice removed, James Stephen Souter, in 1913. There were three daughters and one of the daughters had three of a family.

The birth date for Edgar Watson will have been arrived at by subratcting his age according to the gravestone in Aberlour from the year of his death, so if his birthday was later in the year than the day of his death, it will show as a year later.

From the indexes to births there were at least three children of George Gray Watson and Helen Taylor Edgar
Beatrice Isabella, birth registered Lewisham, 1898, December quarter
Edgar, birth registered Edmonton, 1900, September quarter
Vera Mary, birth registered Edmonton, 1903, September quarter: LIBINDX says that she died at Craigellachie Hotel on 8 January 1909, and there is a matching listing on SP.

There are other Watson/Edgar children born in Chester-le-Street after 1913, but they are the family of Peter Watson and Elizabeth Edgar and have nothing to do with George Gray Watson and Helen Taylor Edgar.

So it looks as if someone has confused Edgar's mother's name with his sister's.

I also wonder if Edith Larkin is Edith Tucker or Watson, wife of Edgar Watson and not of Edgar Larkin.

I see that George Gray Watson was twice married, his first wife being Elizabeth (Bessie) Glen Garden, whom hae married in 1887. There were two sons
George Glen Watson, birth registered West Ham, 1890, September quarter
Douglas Garden Watson, birth registered West Ham, 1891, September quarter
Bessie died in 1891, death registered in West Ham, 1891, September quarter. LBINDX gives the date of death as 9 September 1891, so she must have died very soon after Duglas' birth. She is buried in New Elgin with her parents, brother and sister. I see that a Douglas G Watson, aged 9, died in Elgin in 1901. Could this be him?

I have failed, so far, to find any of the family in the 1901 of 1911 census in Scotland or in England and Wales.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian, thanks for looking into the entry and surrounding information (which was already known to me).  Yes, 'sibling' Helen Taylor (nee Edgar) was Edgar's mother and should be replaced with his sister, Vera Mary Edgar 1903-1909. Vera died at 11:45 on 8 January 1909 at Craigellachie Hotel from the effects of Whooping Cough (2 months) and the informant was her Uncle, James Edgar (usual residence at the Gordon Arms Hotel, Elgin).  Her father George Gray Watson having left the family some time before.

I'm not sure whether Edgar and Edith's 3 children (all still living, as we have been in contact with them for 3 or 4 years now) should be recorded?  You would probably need to search Jamaican records to find their births and marriages.

regards, Kit

Edit: should have made mention of our 'kinship'!  My husband is related via the Edgar side (Helen Taylor's child who was adopted) rather than the Watson's.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see there are at least two earlier threads on the same family
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=453458
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793774

May I strongly recommend that if you start a new thread, you always include a link to any earlier threads about members of the same family? That saves people duplicating work already done, and prevents people forgetting what they have already read.

Offline KitCarson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Apologies, I have done on other threads, but didn't think it was necessary on this occasion.  However, I will try and ensure I do in future  :) 

Yours and other RootsChatters help is very much appreciated.

Kit