Author Topic: Frances/Fanny Goldsmith b. in London "1823"  (Read 1449 times)

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frances/Fanny Goldsmith b. in London "1823" BEST RESEARCHERS THANK YOU!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
This is the best family history research I have come across, thank you so much as it adds a lot to my family history and makes for my only truly local roots!!!!  ;)   An scholar and a gent you are Sir, much appreciated!
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Frances/Fanny Goldsmith b. in London "1823"
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:41 BST (UK) »
Excellent work jonw65.

1861 it appears Frances is still alive, down as FRANCIS Minton 1798 Wesrminster.
A Widow, occp Charwoman.

Cant find her in 1851 Census.

Aaah found her 1871 lodging in Staines;
James Harris, 72
Susannah Harris, 65
Eliza Rump, 16
Sophia Rump, 16
George Rump, 14
Alfred Rump, 9
Francis MENTON, 74, Lodger, Widow, no employment, born London*******

Death Reg  for Frances Minton Dec 1873 Staines age 75 (FreeBMD)

And from GRO;
Death Reg;
MINTON, JAMES, age    62
GRO Reference: 1856  M Quarter in STAINES  Volume 03A  Page 4

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:51 BST (UK) »
 :o you have done well on the rest of her life and that I found yesterday rapidly on familysearch; given she had so many children who in turn averaged about 8 children (including mortalities) and into the next generations into the early 1900s and so on they have many hundreds of descendants.

The question I cannot find is now this new Frances Gurney who lived to 75 (unlike her daughter my ancestor Frances who lived to 32), who were her parents?  This Berks/Bucks family must be discounted and I note a certain "Pauline Batterby" researched that contemporary Frances Gurney that she died in Shoreditch and wrongly put in the St James's Westminster marriage to Goldsmith which is totally misleading.  I think lowly Westminster records might be dry for births in that 1790s period, I don't know.

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=paulbatt&id=I00608
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
I tried to find Frances Gurney/Gunning c 1798-1800 ish also with no luck.
Being in Australia unless records are on-line I cant help with Westminster queries. Hopefully someone else can :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:38 BST (UK) »

1841 Staines has the 2x Frances (Minten/Goldsmeeth) written as
"Fran s" short for Frances.
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
True I am guessing whoever regularly transcribes that as Francis is pretty ignorant!

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
whoever regularly transcribes that as Francis is pretty ignorant!

there are nicer and more constructive ways of putting your point across..it is more helpful to add information that helps everyone.

:)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Fine.  Pre 1911 ( esp.) 6-letter plus names may have been abbreviated and then mauled by current most popular usually free databases.  This is compounded by use of copperplate joined up superscript and other long-lost practices but Which are to scholars well known and quickly researchable

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 14:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam

Welcome back to Rootschat. According to your posting profile, it looks like you've had a 10 year sabbatical away from here.

Might I suggest you take a moment to reacquaint yourself with our help and introduction pages as things have most probably moved on since your last posts in 2008 unless you've been keeping an eye on the proceedings here without posting.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/intro.php

and this

It is hoped that our members are courteous and polite to each other, making allowances for:
those who are new to genealogy and don't know the "obvious".

There are people joining Rootschat everyday with varying degrees of genealogical proficiency who benefit greatly from the snippets on information found in topics here.

Dawn   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea