Author Topic: Underwood of Rothley  (Read 688 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Underwood of Rothley
« on: Sunday 20 May 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My ancestor, Frances Underwood, was born in Rothley in 1798. Her parents were John Underwood and Jane Waldron, and they married in Rothley in 1797. Nothing has ever been found on Jane, so is there anything that can be found on John? I've found no obvious baptisms for him.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Underwood of Rothley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello
They are on the 1841 census both age 70.
John Underwood seems to have died Sep 1847 reg Barrow on Soar age 75
Jane age 97 June 1867 Barrow on Soar.

I've not got a definite sighting of either but Jane is Jane Waldram
The Waldram family in Rothley consists of Benjamin and Mary having children in the 1740's ,their son Benjamin in the 1780's and a 1784 Will for Mary leaving money to her 3 sons John,Thomas and Benjamin.
Benjamin stays in Rothley but no daughter Jane,thomas seems to have moved to Diseworth and no daughter Jane.
John who knows?

Ciderdrinker

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
MARRIAGES;
St Mary the Virgin and St John the Baptist, Rothley

Benjamin WALDERHAM to Mary SMITH 1 Dec 1730
ELIZABETH WALDRAM to Jonathan MONK 10 Apr 1760
Benjamin WALDRAM to Ann SMITH  3 Nov 1783
Sarah WALDRAM to George PRESTON 27 Apr 1795
Jane to John Underwood you have 9 Jun 1797***
Ann WALDRAM to John WHITTLE 8 Feb 1803, both of Mountsorrel Parish
Benjamin WALDROM to Elizabeth ELLIS 20 Oct 1817
(Source FreeREG)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Not John, but possible leads on Jane.  The LRFHS Poor Law Index CD has the following:

1781 Jane Waldron (no age given)
Case Type: Settlement Certificate
1st Parish: Belgrave
2nd Parish: Shepshed
Records Office Reference: 17D64/F/96

Under the same reference: John Waldron, Sarah Waldron, Ann Waldron, Elizabeth Waldron

1786 Jane Waldram aged 12
Case Type: Apprentice
1st Parish: Shepshed
2nd Parish: Sutton Bonnington, Nottinghamshire
Apprentice Master: John Clark
Records Office Reference: 394/44/16

1790 Ann Waldram aged 12
Case Type: Apprentice
2nd Parish: Leicester, St Leonard
Apprentice Master: William Findley
Records Office Reference: 394/44/21

Possibly connected
1781 John Waldrom aged 26
Case Type: Settlement Examination
2nd Parish: Cropston
Reference: 394/39/16

Cropston is only about 2 miles from Rothley
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
According to the censuses, Jane was born in Mowmacre Hill or Belgrave, which are close to each other, and so most likely the person described by Jomot.

I can't find a baptism in the area, although there is baptism for Sarah, daughter of John and Sarah, on 8th October 1770 in Thurcaston. The abode is Cropston, one of the parishes mentioned. Mowmacre Hill leads to Thurcaston and Cropston.

David

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
Going back to John, its possible we may have a distant connection somewhere down the line.

If it's the same Frances Underwood then she had an illegitimate son named Black in 1821 (the father was John Widdowson of Syston).  My GG Grandmother's sister married a Joseph Underwood in 1838, and their son was Thomas Black Underwood, born 1840.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that new information! My Frances Underwood married George Pochin in Birstall in 1816 and then moved to Wigston.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart