Author Topic: Joseph Kent, Master Mariner  (Read 2052 times)

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Kent, Master Mariner
« on: Sunday 20 May 18 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi , not sure this is the right place if not some kind person might help point me in the right direction. Kate Kent married John Huddart at Carlisle 1883, on the marriage certificate it says her farther was Joseph Kent, deceased, , master mariner. I have never found Kates birth and can't find her before 1881 although from the other census she is born c 1860 at first, she says born Liverpool in the 1911 census she says born at sea, I have looked on line to see if there's a way of tracing her father but everything I come across seems to need more information than I have.                I did find a visitor Kate Kent with a Butcher family in the 1861 census that fitted her birth but nothing else, also a death for Joseph Henry Kent in 1869 at Nantwich only he was 81 so then found him in the 1861 census birth year 1788, with his wife Anne age 43, this would fit only he was a retired farmer . Any help will be much appreciated , thanking you in advance, Nikitah.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Kent, Master Mariner
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 May 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikitah,

Looking at the census is John Huddart the same person as Robert Huthart?

On the 1891 and 1901 Kate is recorded as being born in Manchester.

Who were the witnesses on the marriage cert as sometimes they can hold a clue?

Have you tried looking for a Catherine Kent?

JJ

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 May 18 20:42 BST (UK) »
thank you JJ, yes that's Robert aka Huthart it gets very complicated, they move around  in the hotel industry, Kate is in Manchester in 1881, I have a few possibilities for John/ Robert, his father was also Joseph, labourer,  witness 1, William Allen Ure witness 2 Agnes Barrett ,  both Kate and John reside at Great Central Hotel Carlisle both 22 years, there are more mysteries for this family but I'll tell you about them later, :o I have the family in all the census after  their  marriage living at Grange Over Sands and Lancaster, and maybe J R Huddart's Death at Lancaster age 65 in 1925 and Katherine Huddart at Lancaster age 76 in 1935, but until I know for sure these are the ones I am looking for I don't want to waste money on death certificates, many thanks Nikitah.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 May 18 21:21 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has this set of records:
UK and Ireland, Masters and Mates Certificates, 1850-1927
which may help you. Beware because sometimes the search takes you not to the beginning of a man's record, but to the middle of it: worth scrolling backwards as well as forwards.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 May 18 21:36 BST (UK) »
 thanks Graham for that, I am a member of Ancestry unfortunately no longer a paid up member only because I've been doing the Familytree for many years and I thought I had exhausted it, I wasn't aware of this Joseph Kent until I got the marriage certificate and as you can see this family don't make it easy , thank you for your  help though its much appreciated. Nikitah

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
might be a red herring
Liverpool baptisms
Joseph Henry Kent
son of Joseph Kent mariner and Elizabeth
of Sim Street I think 1st December 1861
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
on an earlier baptism
for a William Henry  Kent born November 1858 ,Liverpool his mothers name is Elizabeth Kent Rogers
father a mariner living Toxteth
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
Lancs OPC has the surname for William Henry baptised 1858 as Kent-Rogers and father as Joseph Kent-Rogers.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 16:25 BST (UK) »
Also found a baptism for an John Alexander Kent Rogers 22 April 1860 Toxteth - parents Joseph Henry and Elizabeth Kent Rogers (Joseph a mariner) of 33 John St

GRO Ref John Alexander Kent Rogers - Mothers Maiden Name TILSTON       W. Derby    8b   250

Kay

Added -Parents married 2 March 1857 Walton-On -The Hill - Joseph age 22  Elizabeth age 21