Author Topic: Chasing Laughland, Lachlan, Lanchline, Laughlan  (Read 4587 times)

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing Laughland, Lachlan, Lanchline, Laughlan
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 27 May 18 07:36 BST (UK) »

What I posted was a link to show what church records are available as far as baptisms, marriages, etc. Civil registration of births started in 1864. The microfilm is at PRONI but not online.

shows a Sarah Langhland as 10 (and the person thinks its a bad transcription, that it should be Samuel who would be 10 in 1861.    The next person is my grandfather (W J Langhland)   I have today written to Ancestry to see if it can be proven or fixed.
The census image should be in Scotland's People database which would show what is actually written rather than Ancestry's transcription.

It should, but I can't find it.   I have written to them to ask if they can find it, as all the details are on it. 
Moderator comment:edited for content. Please do not copy and paste information from commercial sites, you must transcribe what you see in the images
Not sure what I posted that was deleted, but as I said earlier, these are from my notes
Name: Sarah Langhland
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Relationship: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Jane
Where born: Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Registration Number: 573/3
Registration district: Paisley Middle Church
Civil parish: Paisley Middle Church
Town: Paisley
County: Renfrewshire
Address: 8 Moncrieff St
ED: 12
Household schedule number: 35
Line: 12
Roll: CSSCT1861_80
Household Members: Name Age
William Langhland 33 born Ireland
Jane Langhland 26 born Paisley
Sarah Langhland 10

Just found some more notes of the 1861 census, but I dont have a copy of it, and I cant find it on Scotlands People
1861 Census of Scotland
Moncrieff St
William Laughland H Married 33 Miners Labourer
Jane Laughland W  Married 26
Samuel son 10 scholar
William John Son 2
George Laughland Son 6 months

Here, William is 33 and a miners labourer.

So it is William and Jane Grieve Loughlin who are your direct ancestors and their eldest child William John?   Then back to Ireland and  William's father William and his wife Jane Stewart.  Samuel, the son of William and his first wife Elizabeth who died in 1854, would be the half brother of William John.  And a step  gt uncle? Is that your reading of it? [/size]
  Correct, Not sure who is the step gt uncle of who though.

That's up to date I think, will check and see if there are any more questions to be answered.
Glos:  Burgess, Evans
Renf:  Laughlan, Grieve (Lanchline/Laughland/Lachlan) (Greive/Grive)
Drumachose, Derry: Laughlan, Stewart
S/Set:Westlake, Puddy, Dunstone
Worc: Cook, Heaven
Hants: Cook, Puddy
Cty Clare, Limerick: Gleeson, Tierney
Canada:  Goring
UK: Gorringe, Lloyd (Loy)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:19 BST (UK) »
The items removed were whole pages from Scotland's People (the large CROWN COPYRIGHT wording on the page is a clue).

The 1861 census entry is easily found in Scotland's People database. Perhaps you were using Ancestry's mis-transcription to do the searching in SP?
LAUGHLAND, WILLIAM age 33  ref.: 573/3 12/ 6  RD: Paisley Middle Church  County: Renfrew
Doing further searches they show a ten year old Samuel Laughland on the same page. Also Jane (26), William John (2) & George (0)
It will only cost you 6 credits to view the image.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
Re the step gt uncle ..it would not be your  'step' but half gt uncle. I made a mistake saying 'step'.  Half is the correct relationship.  Samuel born 1851 is  the half brother of your grandfather? ie Samuel is the half brother of William John who is your ancestor. So the children of William John, your parent among them,  would have Samuel as their half uncle and you would have Samuel as your half gt uncle. 

PS I note that one of my posts was edited. I find this odd as I do not have access to anything other than the indexes of SP, as it is a paying site.  I think I may have C & P'd from an earlier post and that might have been taken from SP? It certainly did not have Crown Copyright on it.   

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 27 May 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
I lost a whole post  >:(
Samuel is my half grand uncle according to the relationship calculator.
I bought the 1861 census - but it had appeared almost the same as the notes I had previously provided only this time it was shown as Samuel (not Sarah).
William (his father) being 33 - he is a ? labourer b in Ireland, Jane 26 b Renfrewshire, Paisley, Samuel 10, Scholar of Lanarkshire, Glasgow, William Jnr 2, son of Ayreshire, Auchinleck and then George ? mths, of Paisley, Renfrewshire.    Just in case you were wondering, my grandfather was definitely was born in Auchinleck (Cronberry in fact) as his father was working in the mines at the time.  I cannot read what sort of labourer he was (it says something labour).  I am  having trouble saving this census - for some reason it won't open.   Will have to contact Scotlands People.

So it's back to the drawing board to find out if it was Elizabeth Kerr who married William Laughland.
Glos:  Burgess, Evans
Renf:  Laughlan, Grieve (Lanchline/Laughland/Lachlan) (Greive/Grive)
Drumachose, Derry: Laughlan, Stewart
S/Set:Westlake, Puddy, Dunstone
Worc: Cook, Heaven
Hants: Cook, Puddy
Cty Clare, Limerick: Gleeson, Tierney
Canada:  Goring
UK: Gorringe, Lloyd (Loy)