Author Topic: Chasing Laughland, Lachlan, Lanchline, Laughlan  (Read 4595 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing Laughland, Lachlan, Lanchline, Laughlan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
On your other, thread they aren't RC

Really, I have no proof, but surely in Derry - they would be catholic mostly wouldn't they?

Have you searched the RC registers?

No,what is the site please?

It's in my reply

Reply#4
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 07:58 BST (UK) »
Have you searched the RC registers?[quote/]

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0363   start too late!!

Yes, they were in Scotland by the time of Samuels birth in 1851, William and his first wife, that is.

I had done a search and found that an Elizabeth had married William Laughlan, but wasnt sure which Elizabeth - it could be Kerr, or Bell.

In the previous thread there were references to children of a William and a Jane Loughlin/lochlin around Limavady
Catherine dau of Wm & Jane Laughlin Parish of Ballykelly Jan'y 24 1814
John to parents William & Jane Loughlin dated to 1820
Robert son of Wm & Jane Lochlin, Broglasco, T. Finlagan Feb'y 5th 1823
then possibly 'your' William born 1827

How certain are you that then parents were married shortly before William's birth in 1826 ie that he was an early child rather than a later one? Have you looked at any of these other possibles ie Catherine, John or Robert?  I am not denying that it may be correct, but I have never seen them.
   I don't think I've ever mentioned that they were from Ballykelly or Broglasco or Limvady.

I have never mentioned Catherine, John or Robert.

For William Laughlan b 1800 & Jane Stewart b 1800 - I've only ever found one son for them, William b 1827 (b County Derry) - I am sure there are others, but I've no proof.

1851 Census William Lauchline (Labourer) and Elisabeth both 24 and Samuel 2 mths Both born Ireland, Samuel, Barony, Lanarkshire
FHL Film Number:   6035516

1861 Census of Scotland
Moncrieff St
William Laughland H Married 33 Miners Labourer
Jane Laughland W  Married 26
Samuel son 10 scholar
William John Son 2
George Laughland Son 6 months

Glos:  Burgess, Evans
Renf:  Laughlan, Grieve (Lanchline/Laughland/Lachlan) (Greive/Grive)
Drumachose, Derry: Laughlan, Stewart
S/Set:Westlake, Puddy, Dunstone
Worc: Cook, Heaven
Hants: Cook, Puddy
Cty Clare, Limerick: Gleeson, Tierney
Canada:  Goring
UK: Gorringe, Lloyd (Loy)

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 23:40 BST (UK) »
Not sure how joining a lodge would change the religion though perhaps if it was the Orange Lodge in NI it would be usually protestants joining? Not sure, just speculating. 
In 11 April 1884, William Lochlin (as he then spelt his name, and had been since he was married Jane Grieve, joined the Grand Lodge of Scotland No. 73 (Thistle & Rose), Glasgow.  So it was just a guess, I suppose.    Why else would he change it to a scottish spelling?

I have no marriage cert for William Laughland and Janet Stewart.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 May 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused by your reply.  I am not sure why you are listing on the Co Derry board if you are not sure that they came from Derry, somewhere. (Limavady, Ballykelly, Tamlaght Finlagan are all places in Co Londonderry.   In fact Ballykelly and T/F are very close.  Limavady would have been a very close larger town. 

Just so we can get back on track:
could you advise where the birth took place of the ancestor you are chasing was registered/noted. 
Could you please advise the support you have for the view that the child born in 1827 was born early in the marriage and not later in the marriage

If the birth took place in Co Londonderry then the births that others have found in the same decade and to parents with similar names are very worthy of further investigation.

Genealogy is not an exact linear search back.  Sometimes we have to search for descendants/contemporaries who may not be our exact ancestor.  My query was, assuming that the family came from Co Londonderrry, whether you had looked at these other people born around the same time as the person you are searching for.  For instance, if they emigrated other jurisdictions may have had birth, death marriage requirements that had a greater level of detail than in Northern Ireland or Scotland. 

For instance I would count the three names found/suggested already 'in', until you either find supporting evidence for or against.  Then I would search intensively to find out more about these other three. 

Also with naming patterns the names of the children can give some clues as to birth order.  So it is always useful to have/list the siblings of those you are looking for. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 May 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
Re 11

Joining a Lodge would not of itself change one's religion.  If a person was keen on having a new life though it could be a way of cementing a change.  Unless this ancestor was literate, then it may have been the person entering up his membership that spelled this name in the only way he, perhaps as a born and bred Scot, knew.  Couple this with an accent and you can get all sorts of spellings. 

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 May 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
I am a bit confused by your reply.  I am not sure why you are listing on the Co Derry board if you are not sure that they came from Derry, somewhere. (Limavady, Ballykelly, Tamlaght Finlagan are all places in Co Londonderry.   In fact Ballykelly and T/F are very close.  Limavady would have been a very close larger town. 
I am listing on the Co Derry board because William Laughlan b 15 Apr 1827 was born Co. Derry.   I have never mentioned (or even heard of) the names you mentioned (Limavady, Ballykelly, Tamlaght Finlagan),  The name Drumachose has been mentioned though.   His father William Laughlan b about 1800 was simply born in Ireland.  It is these two Laughlans I am trying to trace.
Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,
William John, Son aged 2, born Ayrshire, Auchinleck and 
George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Renfrewshire, Paisley.  Therefore William must have been born in Ireland in 1828, Jane in Paisley in 1835.
Samuel (whom we know nothing about) must have been born in 1851.  I believe William came from County Derry, Ireland, but yet to confirm.
William was deceased prior to 1878 and Jane re-married a Mr. Baird.
Attached documents are all I have.
The marriage of William Laughlan (16 Oct 1855) shows his birth date as born April 15th 1827 at County Derry, Ireland.
If the birth took place in Co Londonderry then the births that others have found in the same decade and to parents with similar names are very worthy of further investigation.
Where do I look (I am in Australia and not familiar with Irish BDM)
Out of 4 William Lochlins, 3 were first sons if that helps, re naming patterns.

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 May 18 00:42 BST (UK) »
Attached are marriage certificates and a death certificate, which is all I have.

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 May 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Marriage certs.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 May 18 01:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those. It looks as though at the time of the marriage in Scotland to Jane Grieve in 1855 his father, William was still alive though his mother, MS Stewart, was dead.  Father was a gardener.  It also may read that the father was still alive at the time of Scottish-residing William's death in 1868.  Is this how you are reading it?

In 1858 on Griffiths Valuation there is a William Loughlin mentioned 4 times - Carrick East, is one of the townlands that is mentioned.  Here he leases, from John Loughry, 20 perches being a house and garden.  If this is your William, the father then this ties in with him being a Journeyman gardener.  He would travel to his work and was a skilled worker.  Again two of the other three listings could also be him.  The last listing is in Derry itself where a William Loughlin has a small garden in a tenement in Shantallow. 

Carrick East is described here
https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/keenaght/carrick/carrick-east/

If you use the mouse to manipulate the map you can see why some of us are mentioning Limavady, Ballykelly and if you look for these townlands on the same viewer above as well as Drumachose, you will see why these may be clues. 

The fact that William the father may have been alive in 1868 will be a further clue. 

NB I did search on Griffiths for Lachlan, but nothing in L'Derry. To me Lachlan is the Scottish version and Loughlin may be more common in Ireland.  Spoken slightly differently I think.  NB the landlord in the Carrick t/l is John Loughry.

You may find listings under M'Loughlin or O'Loughlin. Just add these to your list of names to search under.