Author Topic: Chasing Laughland, Lachlan, Lanchline, Laughlan  (Read 4605 times)

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing Laughland, Lachlan, Lanchline, Laughlan
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 26 May 18 01:54 BST (UK) »
L1 are my grandparents
L2  "     "   great grandfather with second wife Jane Grieve
L3  L2 is with Elizabeth Kerr (not proven) and Samuel -I mentioned earlier that Samuel shows up in the 1861 census as being with William Laughlan & Jane Grieve as being 10 yrs old.
The 1851 census shows him with a William Laughlan & Elizabeth (?) as "just" born, in other words "0 months"
You can see that William Laughlan & Jane Stewart were my great great grandparents.   I dont know his siblings.
The 4th child of William and Jane Grieve (she went on to have 5 children) - was Jane Galloway Laughlan, and Jane Grieve's parents were Peter Grieve & Jane Galloway - further proof.

Still catching up.
Elizabeth Laughlan (tho spelt Lanchline) death certificate is sent separately as are the trees.
Glos:  Burgess, Evans
Renf:  Laughlan, Grieve (Lanchline/Laughland/Lachlan) (Greive/Grive)
Drumachose, Derry: Laughlan, Stewart
S/Set:Westlake, Puddy, Dunstone
Worc: Cook, Heaven
Hants: Cook, Puddy
Cty Clare, Limerick: Gleeson, Tierney
Canada:  Goring
UK: Gorringe, Lloyd (Loy)

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 26 May 18 01:59 BST (UK) »
am having trouble attaching.  Will keep trying.

Sorry, I have to go out - I will try again when I get home.  I know it doesnt make sense right now - I'll try once more.

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 26 May 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
It came up once, but disappeared again :(  no trying to send L3 & death cert.

I give up - I really must go, will try again when I get home.

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 26 May 18 04:21 BST (UK) »
fingers crossed

Moderator comment: image subject to copyright removed. You may post your own transcription

Offline joody_anne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jood
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 26 May 18 05:26 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if the Bell option is a goer, yet. The reason for this is that while you have put William's status in the 1851 census you have not put Elisabeth's or John Bell's.  So what did she say her relationship was to either the Bell family or even to William himself.  In the 1851 census there is a 10 year old Elisabeth.  I think to explore the Bell connection then concentrate on tracking back or forward the Bell family  appearing in the 1851 census where you find William, Samuel and Elisabeth.  It may be that they were known to either of the Ireland based families, they may have gone over before.  I would also see if I could see a connection between the 10 year old Elizabeth Bell and the 24 year old Elisabeth Laughlin.....god parent, sponsor etc?
I showed you earlier that Elisabeth was 24 and shown as the daughter of William Bell in 1861 Census

OK I give up - we will go for Kerr then.

In 1851
Name:   Elizabeth Bell
Relationship:   Daughter

Father:   William Bell
Mother:   Mary Bell
Where born:   Barony, Lanark
Town:   Barrachnie
County:   Lanarkshire
Address:   Flocks
ED:   31
Page:   18
Household schedule number:   64
LINE:   16

William was born in Drumachose, Derry. on 15th April 1827.
This would likely be Drumachose Parish in Co. Londonderry. If the marriage was Church of Ireland then the records are quite good for such an early period.  C.I.  Drumachose  (Derry diocese)  Baptisms, 1730-52 and 1804-98; marriages, 1728-53 and 1805-45; burials, 1730-36 and 1804-81; etc. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf
  This didn't help (the site) to find any births, is there any other site?

Is the death of Elisabeth Bell in 1854 under the name Bell or Laughlin or alternative spelling?
Elisabeth Lanchline (copy sent earlier)
Not sure when exactly Samuel was born in 1851, but there is a Lanarkshire death for a wee baby with a parent called William.
It may be that Elizabeth Kerr/Bell Loughlin died around then?
Name   Mclachlan
Gender   Male
Birth Date   01 Nov 1852
Birthplace   GLASGOW,LANARK,SCOTLAND
Death Date   01 Nov 1852
Father's Name   William Mclachlan[/quote]
Cant be right because as I said, he was mentioned in both 1861 census with William (Laughlan) and Jane (Grieve)
I was told years ago that this census
William Langhland
 in the 1861 Scotland Census

1861 Scotland Census
Name:   William Langhland
Relationship:   Head
Spouse's name :   Jane Langhland
Where born:   Irland
Town:   Paisley
Address:   8 Moncrieff St
ED:   12
Household schedule number:   35
LINE:   10

shows a Sarah Langhland as 10 (and the person thinks its a bad transcription, that it should be Samuel who would be 10 in 1861.    The next person is my grandfather (W J Langhland)   I have today written to Ancestry to see if it can be proven or fixed.

Moderator comment:edited for content. Please do not copy and paste information from commercial sites, you must transcribe what you see in the images

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 26 May 18 07:14 BST (UK) »
great will have a look! thanks again

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 26 May 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
William was born in Drumachose, Derry. on 15th April 1827.
This would likely be Drumachose Parish in Co. Londonderry. If the marriage was Church of Ireland then the records are quite good for such an early period.  C.I.  Drumachose  (Derry diocese)  Baptisms, 1730-52 and 1804-98; marriages, 1728-53 and 1805-45; burials, 1730-36 and 1804-81; etc. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf
This didn't help (the site) to find any births, is there any other site?

What I posted was a link to show what church records are available as far as baptisms, marriages, etc. Civil registration of births started in 1864. The microfilm is at PRONI but not online.

shows a Sarah Langhland as 10 (and the person thinks its a bad transcription, that it should be Samuel who would be 10 in 1861.    The next person is my grandfather (W J Langhland)   I have today written to Ancestry to see if it can be proven or fixed.
The census image should be in Scotland's People database which would show what is actually written rather than Ancestry's transcription.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 26 May 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Lachlan dies in September 1854. The unnamed  child with a father called William McLachlan  was one who was born and died in Nov 1852 so she could possibly be the mother of this child.  If it was a difficult or premature birth it could have contributed to her death later  as a result of a decline. 

1851 census
Name:   William Laughline
Relationship:   Lodger
Where born:   Ireland
Civil Parish:   Barony
County:   Lanarkshire
Address:   524 Duke Street
ED:   5C
Page:   13
Household schedule number:   48
LINE:   9

This looks likely for the little family of three - William, Elisabeth and Samuel.  William has put himself down as lodger rather than brother in law.  The 1851 Scottish census was carried out as at 31/3/1851 so Samuel at 2 months would have been born in late January 1851 perhaps.  The census shows William as being born in Ireland (irland).  What are the birth places of Elisabeth and the Bell family in that census. 

The earlier and later Bell entries don't look as likely to me, yet.  The John Bell in the 1841 census is shown as being 2 years younger than the Elizabeth Bell in that census. In the 1851 census above the John Bell is shown as being 10 years older than Elizabeth. 

Moderator comment:edited for content. Please do not copy and paste information from commercial sites, you must transcribe what you see in the images

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 26 May 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
So it is William and Jane Grieve Loughlin who are your direct ancestors and their eldest child William John?   Then back to Ireland and  William's father William and his wife Jane Stewart.  Samuel, the son of William and his first wife Elizabeth who died in 1854, would be the half brother of William John.  And a step  gt uncle? Is that your reading of it?

I am still feeling that it is perhaps the Elisabeth Kerr/Carr Loughlin  Irish connection who is the mother of Samuel and that either the 1846 Irish or the 1848?  Ayr marriage are possibly theirs.  I would have expected to see an earlier birth than Samuel's.

A shortlived baby to a Wm Laughlan in Lanark

Name   Laughlan
Gender   Male
Birth Date   16 Mar 1848
Birthplace   GLASGOW,LANARK,SCOTLAND
Death Date   16 Mar 1848
Father's Name   William Laughlan