Author Topic: Osborne Family - clean up request & help with dating please  (Read 1557 times)

Offline gisela

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Osborne Family - clean up request & help with dating please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 18 18:09 BST (UK) »
Can I please also add to Carol great suggestions.

I would scan the image and save the file, then rotate the image in the scanner, 180 degrees (looking at the image upside down), and scan again. Save that file. Both images would be placed together in a single file, lined up, and blended together (as light from the scanner passes over, and highlights the damaged areas, changing the direction of the light on the image changes how the damage is captured).

Often, that process can minimise, and sometimes eliminate the cracks, which obliterate some portions of the face. This extra little bit of prep work can greatly reduce the amount of work needed, thus keeping the photographic qualities of the image.  Perhaps you could try my suggestions, or instead, post the two scans.

I hope this helps

Gisela

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 18 18:34 BST (UK) »
Can please also add to Carol great suggestions.

I would scan the image and save the file, then rotate the image in the scanner, 180 degrees (looking at the image upside down), and scan again. Save that file. Both images would be placed together in a single file, lined up, and blended together (as light from the scanner passes over, and highlights the damaged areas, changing the direction of the light on the image changes how the damage is captured).

Often, that process can minimise, and sometimes eliminate the cracks, which obliterate some portions of the face. This extra little bit of prep work can greatly reduce the amount of work needed, thus keeping the photographic qualities of the image.  Perhaps you could try my suggestions, or instead, post the two scans.

I hope this helps

Gisela

Hi Gisela - sorry I don't understand. Scan the image & save - done. Then re-scan the image again (upside down in the scanner) - done. So I have 2 images - how do I place them in a single file, lined up etc  :P
Keith

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 18 19:34 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 21 May 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
One from me
Pat

Thank you Pat - sorry the image was of poor quality but your restore & also Carol's are terrific as I can now see family faces for the very first time.
Much appreciated
Keith

Offline gisela

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 21 May 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Can please also add to Carol great suggestions.

I hope this helps

Gisela

Hi Gisela - sorry I don't understand. Scan the image & save - done. Then re-scan the image again (upside down in the scanner) - done. So I have 2 images - how do I place them in a single file, lined up etc  :P
Keith

You would post both images then we'll put them in a single file via Photoshop or those using Gimp or any software that use layers should be able to put the images in a single file.

Hope this helps.

Gisela :)

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 May 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Gisela - 2 images as suggested - hope this is what you mean  ???

Keith

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 03:56 BST (UK) »
Couple from me.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline gisela

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Gisela - 2 images as suggested - hope this is what you mean  ???

Keith

Yep! Please see example I've put one layer on top of the other using Photoshop and move them in certain positioning to eliminate the grains and brought them into one single photo. I've barely cleaned the photo just got rid of couple big circle spots. The photos are smaller size to your original I've noticed but anyway just giving you an idea.

Gisela

Offline Avondale16

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Couple from me.
Peter

These are great Peter - thanks so much
Keith