Author Topic: CWGC Appeal for relatives...Pvt Frank Henry Sawyer.  (Read 1891 times)

Offline ofnightsky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CWGC Appeal for relatives...Pvt Frank Henry Sawyer.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Dear cuffie81,

I don't know how to begin to thank you for your efforts yesterday. I am absolutely blown away....!!!! I have been mostly limited to Ancestry.co.uk for family tree research, and so I don't even understand how/where you got all this information. This is the side of my family tree about which I have the least information, and all these snippets have brought it to life for me!!! I am particularly curious about my great-grandfather, John Francis Sawyer, Frank's brother. My father has told me stories about him and I'd love to know more. In your post above you wrote, "I think this death is a better match than the one Sandra posted, and the birth date tallies with other 'certain' records, that we can't mention."

As you can probably imagine, I would love to know more about the unmentionable records you hint at. Can you please tell me where to look for them?

Thank you so, so, so, so, so much for sharing all this. I can't wait to tell my dad and his cousin what you've learned about their ancestors.

Helen

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Brother John Francis Sawyer - 1890 - Jan-Feb-Mar    Chelmsford - 4 a 452

John F Sawyer married Jessie Franklin - June 1913 - Woodbridge    4a   1787   

Couple had at least 2 daughters and 2 sons

Sawyer    John H    Franklin    Plomesgate    4a   2007    - March 1914

Sawyer    Joan C    Franklin    Plomesgate    4a   1782   - December 1915

Sawyer    Frank H    Franklin    Woodbridge    4a   1587  -  December 1925

Sawyer    Peggy O    Franklin    Woodbridge    4a   1698  -  March 1928

There is an ancestry tree on this family - message sent

Sandra

Great newspaper reports. Any luck with CWGC ?
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Brother John Francis Sawyer - 1890 - Jan-Feb-Mar    Chelmsford - 4 a 452

John F Sawyer married Jessie Franklin - June 1913 - Woodbridge    4a   1787   

Couple had at least 2 daughters and 2 sons

Sawyer    John H    Franklin    Plomesgate    4a   2007    - March 1914

Sawyer    Joan C    Franklin    Plomesgate    4a   1782   - December 1915

Sawyer    Frank H    Franklin    Woodbridge    4a   1587  -  December 1925

Sawyer    Peggy O    Franklin    Woodbridge    4a   1698  -  March 1928

There is an ancestry tree on this family - message sent

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ofnightsky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
No reply from CWGC as of yet...

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
Glad it's of use Helen, it's always nice to be able to help fill in some blanks. With a bit of luck it may help locate more relations of Frank's for the CWGC.

As for the 'certain' records, it was a reference to the 1939 Register. Some recordset are under copyright so we're not allowed to post details on RootsChat, and the 1939 Register recordset is one of those. And if we do the moderators will give us a ticking off and delete the posts. However, as Ancestry have recently acquired the rights to the 1939 Register you should be able to locate your various family members fairly easily. If you're not aware, the 1939 Register recorded people's birthdate, rather than age, so it's a useful source to cross check birthdates against birthdates from other sources (eg death registrations).

As for the other records, baptisms are from the parish registers. There are various sources you can find these including FamilySearch, FreeReg and SEAX (Essex Archives).

The probate records are from the government probate search service. Ancestry and FindMyPast also have these records but I often use this site instead, despite me having subscriptions to both of those services.

The birth registrations are widely available but a while back the GRO made public new indexes (births: 1837-1917, deaths: 1837-1957) which, for births, include the full name and mother's maiden name (from 1837) and for deaths, include the age (from 1837), details which aren't available in previously published indexes. The site is free to use, you just need to register, but if you've ever ordered any certificates online from the GRO you can use the same login credentials.

The newspaper items are available in the British Newspaper Archives. The BNA coverage varies from county to county but has very good coverage for Essex, so you should be able to find some more items on your various family members.

And a few more that may be of interest...

Essex Newsman
20 April 1907
Deaths
King - On the 7th April, Henry King, of the Royal Oak, Ingatestone, suddenly, of heart failure, in his 75th year.

Essex Newsman
01 March 1913
Ingatestone and Fryerning
The funeral of Mrs Mary Ann King, aged 79, who passed away on Feb 21 at "Homeward", Chelmsford, took place at Fryerning Cemetery on Wednesday afternoon. The Rev W J House officiated. Deceased was the widow of the late Henry King, licensee of the Royal Oak, Ingatestone, for thirty-nine years. The chief mourners were: Mr and Mrs King, Ingatestone (son and daughter-in-law), Mr and Mrs Ketley (daughter and son-in-law), Mrs Sawyer (daughter), the Misses E. and J. King, Mrs Gillman, Miss Ketley, Mrs Orton and Miss O Sawyer (granddaughters), Mr P King, Mr E Ketley, and Mr F Sawyer (grandsons). Wreaths were received from: Mr H King and family, Mrs Sawyer and family, Mrs Ketley and the boys, Mr and Mrs Gillman, Len and Gracie, Mrs Shaw, Mr and Mrs Clinch (Ealing), Mr and Mrs Hicks, Mr and Mrs Oddy.

Chelmsford Chronicle
09 April 1943
Margaretting
Greetings From Middle East
Mrs E Swayer, of West View, Chignal Road, Chelmsford, who formerly resided for 50 years at the Bakery, Margaretting, celebrated her 80th birthday last week. Among messages of congratulation was one from her grandson (A.C. J.H. Sawyer), serving in the Middle East.

Chelmsford Chronicle
08 October 1920
War Memorial At Margaretting
Screen in Church and Cross In Village

Article about the erection and unveiling of the chancel screen in the parish church and the granite cross in the village, in memorial of the men who lost their lives in the war.

Includes the inscription on the cross:

For God, For King , And Country
In ever grateful memory of the men of Margaretting who fought and fell in the Great War, 1914-1918.

This memorial is erected by the Parishioners.
Bartrop, William B; Beer, Edward B; Booty, George H; Brett, George A; Christy, Thomas H; Chapman, George W; Corby, William H; Elton, Gordon D. G.; Flack, George J; Harris, Joseph; Horseley, Herbert; Rice, John; Sawyer, Frank H; Willis, Herbert J.

"R.I.P."
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson