Author Topic: Speed in Lambeth, London early 20th century  (Read 1719 times)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Speed in Lambeth, London early 20th century
« Reply #9 on: Monday 21 May 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
1881 -

John Speed   43 Horse Keeper
Sarah A. Speed   17
John Speed   15
Jennie Speed   10
Alma Speed   8
Benjamin Speed   5
Frederick Speed   3
RG11 Piece 8 Folio 91 Page 7

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 May 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage of an Alma Speed in 1908, Barton upon Irwell. On the marriage cert her age is recorded as 27  ??? Father's name is John Speed, Blacksmith.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-YSNT-PRN

On the 1911 Alma Higgins' place of birth is Kilburn, London.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWBD-MFY

Perhaps she altered her age because of marrying a younger man ( it has been known  :) )

JJ

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 21 May 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
Do you have Percy's bc which states his mother to be Alena or is the information on his mother from the baptism record?

The reason I ask is that I wonder if the mother's christian name is Alma and that the baptism record has been mistranscribed.

Looking at the handwriting on the baptism entry I agree with JJen that the mother's christian name is most likely Alma.

Take a look at the way the same clergyman wrote the 'm' in 'salesman'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TheOnlyRogueAngel

• RootsChat Member
  • Bringing order to utter chaos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
Ray, I got the information from the baptism record, and found Percy on the 1901 census living with Jesse and Sarah Jane Cousins, listed as their adopted son.

* Lindsey, Alena could very well be Eleanor. Thank you.

JJen - That's great. I couldn't find an 1891 entry for Alena, just Helena and Ellen and an Annie Magdalena. I didn't think of Alma. Thank you for the census record posts, I'll certainly be looking into them.  :D
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
JJen, I see, clearly Alma when you know how to look at these things. I've transcribed records before, so I know it's not easy to always get it right. Thank you so much for your help.   :)
Cawlbeck, Colbeck, Colbrook, Colebeck, Colebrook, Colebrooke, Coulbeck, Cowlbeck [UK, USA, NZ, Australia, Canada] Hamer [South Yorkshire, UK], Lucas [Cardiff & Gloucestershire, UK] Pennell [UK], Speed [UK], Udall, Udell [UK & USA], Webb [Staffordshire, Dorset, UK], Foot, Foote [Dorset, UK].

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 09:02 BST (UK) »
If your only source of information is the baptism, then it might be worth obtaining the birth certificate to confirm the mother's name, which, I'm pretty sure, will be Alma, as suggested by JJ.

interestingly Percy's birthplace in the 1911 is given as Stepney Crossway according to Family
Search? http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m3k/

Googling this doesn't produce anything, but a suggested alternative is 'Stepney Causeway' which proves to have been a Barnardo's Home. http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/StepneyDB/ So maybe this is where he was placed after his birth, and is the place from which the Cousins family adopted him?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:42 BST (UK) »
I did wonder about that. I was looking for a 1901 census entry for Percy, but couldn't find one, and Googled the Stepney Crossway/Causeway, coming to the same conclusion. We can only surmise that his mother left him there after his baptism.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
I was looking for a 1901 census entry for Percy, but couldn't find one

Percy is in Hampreston, Dorset, as a ‘nurse child’ with what looks like Jesse and Sarah Jane Cousins in 1901.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
Okay. Thank you. :)

Where did you find that.? I looked through FamilySearch and Ancestry.co.uk... or maybe I just need glasses. :D