Author Topic: Death Certificate...  (Read 1836 times)

Offline S128

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death Certificate...
« on: Monday 21 May 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm becoming a little confused from the search of my Grandfathers side of the family. Having received a death certificate today of a person we haven't been able to find much information on, I'm a little more confused and I was wondering if anyone could be of help to me.

My Great- Great Grandfather Frederick John Mardon had two children with a woman named Bertha Rivett (2x Great Grandmother). One of them being my Great-Grandfather. On his and his Brother's birth certificate the Father is listed as Frederick John Mardon & Bertha as Mother but she is called Bertha Mardon (formerly Rivett). Taking on my 2x GG's last name....

On her death certificate she is called Bertha Rivett and is listed as having died at a different address to Frederick. He is the informant (causing her body to be buried). But then in her occupation she is shown as being Frederick's domestic housekeeper at his address & labelled as a spinster. She was 46 when she died in 1927 from tuberculosis.

From being told stories from my Grandfather (who is no longer alive, so I can't ask him any questions about it), after she died both of the children were put into an orphanage by Frederick John Mardon & they never saw him again.....

I know that Frederick was married previously but I have found a trail of his first wife and she seems to be no longer living with Frederick past 1912, the year that my Great- Grandfather was born.

I know there was a stigma attached to having children out of wedlock back then but I find it rather sad that having had his two children & being involved with him from 1912 till 1927 (which is a long term relationship) she is just listed as his domestic housekeeper & a Spinster according to him... Presumably he is the one who gave them this information having been the informant & then their two children being put into an orphanage shortly after... It all seems very odd to me.

Apologies for the long text. I know obviously no one can really tell me what happened but has anyone else come across such things in their family research?

Thank you to anyone who replies

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death Certificate...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:29 BST (UK) »
Cohabiting couples told all sorts of stories to make them appear a married couple, I could give you several examples I have come across. Frederick obviously decided it was best to register Bertha's death in her correct name and status.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 18 14:51 BST (UK) »

I know there was a stigma attached to having children out of wedlock back then but I find it rather sad that having had his two children & being involved with him from 1912 till 1927 (which is a long term relationship) she is just listed as his domestic housekeeper & a Spinster according to him...

He didn't really have much choice (other than to commit perjury). If they never married, then he wasn't a relative of hers and unless he was present at the death then "causing her body to be buried" may have been the only qualification he could fit in to be able to register the death.

The same qualification gets used today for co-habiting couples quite regularly.

If she was using his name then the names  of the father and mother on the birth certificates could be OK, but it sounds like they were falsely claiming to be married - to be sure you need to look at the informant column.

Offline S128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
Cohabiting couples told all sorts of stories to make them appear a married couple, I could give you several examples I have come across. Frederick obviously decided it was best to register Bertha's death in her correct name and status.

Thank you

Offline S128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:08 BST (UK) »

I know there was a stigma attached to having children out of wedlock back then but I find it rather sad that having had his two children & being involved with him from 1912 till 1927 (which is a long term relationship) she is just listed as his domestic housekeeper & a Spinster according to him...

He didn't really have much choice (other than to commit perjury). If they never married, then he wasn't a relative of hers and unless he was present at the death then "causing her body to be buried" may have been the only qualification he could fit in to be able to register the death.

The same qualification gets used today for co-habiting couples quite regularly.

If she was using his name then the names  of the father and mother on the birth certificates could be OK, but it sounds like they were falsely claiming to be married - to be sure you need to look at the informant column.

Thank you for your reply.

The informant column on which document, sorry?

Offline S128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:11 BST (UK) »

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
The informant column on which document, sorry?

The birth certificates of the children - as they only have a single informant, but mother and father are both named, then you can be certain that they were claiming to be married.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:20 BST (UK) »
The death certificate gives Bertha's normal address as the same as Frederick's, so she died away from home.

A quick search shows 73a Devons Rd as the Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum, later known as St Andrews Hospital.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline S128

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 May 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
The death certificate gives Bertha's normal address as the same as Frederick's, so she died away from home.

A quick search shows 73a Devons Rd as the Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum, later known as St Andrews Hospital.

Thank you. I thought as it was under occupation it meant that was where she worked?

I had just Googled the address where she died before refreshing here and had come to the same conclusion!