Author Topic: Whatever happened to Grace Waterston  (Read 868 times)

Offline paul_mc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Scottish Guy researching his roots....
    • View Profile
Whatever happened to Grace Waterston
« on: Monday 21 May 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors Helen Waterston had a child out of wedlock.

That child was Grace Waterson - No father listed on her birth certificate. She was born at 89 Townhead Street, Hamilton, Sep 3 1862, Illegitimate. No father listed. Birth certificate signed by grandmother Catherine Waterston - All this information from her birth certificate.

In 1870 her mother Helen married Thomas Law Henrietta Street, Pollockshaws, Dec 9 1870 and in 1871 Grace is listed at 37 New Street, Eastwood, Renfrewshire As per 1871 Census - Name recorded as Grace Law, Apr 1871.

After that there is no trace of her. I can't find a death certificate, or a marriage certificate. Nothing really .

Can any of you good people help me out and allow me to complete a records of Grace's life.

Thanks in advance
Paul
McCARROLL, MCCARDLE, COX, STRACHAN, CALDWELL, RAMAGE, WOOD, JOHNSTON

Offline lismore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Grace Waterston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi paul_mc,

There is a mariage on Scotlands People for a Grace Waterston marrying John Keay in 1879 in Methven, Perth and Kinross, could this be her.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever happened to Grace Waterston
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 22:11 BST (UK) »
There was a Grace Waterston born in Methven in 1858 and I suspect it was this one who married there in 1879. The Grace that the OP is researching was born in Hamilton in 1862. Grace’s mother, Helen/Ellen Law nee Waterston died in 1876. Thomas Law remarried the following year to Elizabeth Nicholson or Williamson but she shows up as a widow in 1881. A number of children are living with her including Catherine Haddow Law and Mary Law ( down as Mirren) who were legitimate children of Thomas Law and Ellen Waterston. Grace is not with them.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)