Author Topic: Rebecca CADMAN formerly DEATH nee NICOL  (Read 2408 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rebecca CADMAN formerly DEATH nee NICOL
« on: Tuesday 22 May 18 03:25 BST (UK) »
Could SKS please check for:

1) a marriage of Rebecca DEATH (nee Nicol) to a CADMAN between 1663 and 1678, possibly in Lavenham; and

2) a death of Rebecca CADMAN between 1695 and 1710 at Lavenham or possibly Brent Ely (Eleigh).

I have been searching for this for a very long time without success so any help would be particularly appreciated.
Kind regards
francoso

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rebecca CADMAN formerly DEATH nee NICOL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi francoso,

The SuffolkFHS burial index is showing a Rebecca Cadman  buried 28-3-1706, wd, Brent Eleigh, St. Mary.

I can't help with a marriage as my records only start in 1754.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for that burial, Ribbo39_Alan, that's certainly nailed that for me. I hope it's not too much to ask you if you would kindly look for a burial of a CADMAN (Rebecca's husband) between say 1695 until her death in 1706, presumably in Brent Eleigh or possibly in Lavenham.

Again, thanks for your help -- much appreciated.
Regards
francoso

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
 Hi,

Nothing is showing up for either Brent Eleigh or Lavenham.

Do you have a 1st name for him as there are about 150 "Cadmans" listed for Suffolk. I'm not conversant with the geography of Suffolk parishes so he could in a nearby parish.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hello, Alan. Regrettably I don't have a first name for the husband CADMAN. However, there is a Robert CADMAN who was the father of five children between 1671 and 1679 in Lavenham, one of whom is a Rebecca CADMAN. So chances are that the mother Rebecca Death nee Nicol  could have married a Robert CADMAN. But I have no idea where he died. With no more children listed after 1679 with father Robert CADMAN, perhaps he died shortly after that time.

Anyway, thank again for all your help. Hopefully someone will come up with a marriage between 1674 and 1678, but if not Brent Eleigh or Lavenham, then I am "out of ideas".
Best
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
Soory, that should read a "marriage between 1664 and 1678".
francoso

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Well,  looking for burials of Robert Cadman in Suffolk , there are a few but nothing between 1608 and 1761 unfortunately.
The Rebecca Cadman I gave earlier is the only "Rebecca Cadman" recorded in the index.

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 22:26 BST (UK) »
Again, thanks for looking, Alan. Maybe the subject Robert CADMAN has been mis-transcribed -- it wouldn't be the first time that has happened as some of the original records are very difficult to read.
francoso

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 May 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hello francoso

Burials at Lavenham before 1750 are not included in the Suffolk FHS's published burial index but they are covered by the Society's search service and can also be seen at the Suffolk Record Office (SRO) or in London at the Society of Genealogists.

The only indexed CADMAN burial at Brent Eleigh between 1590 and 1900 is the widow Rebecca's in 1706. However, the sole CARMAN buried there (in July 1679) was probably the intestate John CADMAN alias CARMAN of Brent Eleigh. Records of the administration of his estate in 1680 are at the SRO in Bury St Edmunds. They could reveal the name of a widow or another family member.

CADMAN may occasionally have been mistranscribed as CANHAM. Among the burials at Brent Eleigh is a William CANHAM in 1687 - two years after the marriage of Rebecca ELY and William CANHAM at Lavenham, according to Boyd's index (Findmypast).

Boyd also indexed the wedding of Rebecca NICOL and George DEATH at Bury St Edmunds (St Mary) in 1643. To establish whether she subsequently married a CADMAN and lived until 1706, it may be worth downloading the SRO's copies of potential relatives' wills, such as those of Brent Eleigh (or Ely Combust) residents George DEATH (1664) and John DEATH (1696 & 1700).

David