Author Topic: Computer help with keyboard symbols  (Read 3487 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Computer help with keyboard symbols
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, Alt-code works fine, but when I need one pound sign, I tend to need a couple of dozen.

I can get by with most keyboard layouts, but the most frustrating for me was German. Swapping just two of the letters around is just too close to English to get me into touch-typing mode. At least French makes me check each keystroke.

I was once responsible for a program which needed a Hungarian keyboard layout. There are just too many accents to make things sensible on 102 keys. It needed to switch between sets using Ctrl-Alt-F1 and Ctrl-Alt-F2. Luckily I didn't need to define that system, just do the programming to make it work.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Computer help with keyboard symbols
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, kiwi, I did not know that one.  I'm still fairly au fait with the F keys (being an oldie who learned how to type properly, I very rarely use the mouse when typing any type of script - letters, e-mails, this post, etc) but that one was new to me and has been stored away for future use.  Now, whether or not it will stay there as I age...but thank you anyway!
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee