Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 73104 times)

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
I've hit a brick wall, I'm trying to find my 3rd Great Grandfather Giovanni Battista's death index (eventually to order the certificate).

Some general information about him:

Given name(s): Giovanni
Surname: Battista
Birthdate: 19 May 1847
Birthplace: Rocca d'Arce, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy
Alternative Birthplace: Cassino, Frosinone, Lazio, Italy
Estimated date of death: 1901 - 1910
Name of spouse at death (second): Anastatia Finley Whalan (Battista)
First spouse: Elizabeth Ellen Lawson (mother of all his children)

Siblings: Vincenzo Battista & Antonio Battista (Vincenzo was living with Giovanni in 1881 census)
Children to Elizabeth Ellen Lawson (biological): Pasqualino, Georgina, Orselina, Elizabeth Ann, Antonio, John George, Vincent C, William Armstrong & James
Children to Anastatia Whalan (biological): Henry Leo

England Census Info

Place of residence 1901: Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
Place of residence 1891: North Shields, Northumberland, England
Place of residence 1881: Newcastle on Tyne All Sts, Northumberland, England

Other Info

Two of his children's marriage entries list his name as "John Battista" (Giovanni is John in Italian), one marriage in 1910 states he is deceased.

Since he is alive in the 1901 census, but listed as deceased in his child's marriage in 1910 and does not appear in the 1911 census, he probably died between 1901 and 1910. Although, I have not limited my search to just those date ranges. Here is my 2nd Great Grandfather's marriage from 1910, listing his father as deceased: https://i.imgur.com/Mwq6o2t.jpg

I can not find him in the England & Wales, Civil Registration Death Index (Ancestry, FreeBMD and GRO). I was not able to find his (second) wife in any future censuses. However, I did find her death index in 1934.

What I have searched:
  • GRO index, FreeBMD, ancestry.co.uk, FamilySearch, North Tyneside Council online records, Sunderland Council online records, Northumberland Council online records & Newcastle Council online records.
  • All Battista (and misspellings/phonetically similar names) death records from 1899 to 1922 throughout England. None of which match the age at death between those years +/- 5 years. None of which match any variations or misspellings of his name.
  • Gravestone websites for his name.
  • England and Wales will search (probate indexes) - GOV.UK
  • British Newspaper Archives, searched for Battista in tynemouth/northumberland, found a few mentions of his sons and siblings, but nothing about him. Searched for Anastasia Whalan/Whelan, couldn't seem to find anything.
  • Scotlandspeople website for the surname Battista, from 1899 - 1940. Only managed to find this: https://i.imgur.com/zgZJeJw.png

I've also requested a manual search from 1900 - 1911 from the North Tyneside Registrars (who are responsible for record keeping in the regions Giovanni lived in, in his last two censuses). They were not able to find his death but did find his first wife's death in 1900 (Elizabeth); he was listed as the spouse and reporter.

Current leads I'm looking into:
  • New Orleans Passenger Lists (1884) and New York, Passenger Lists (1891), ports of departure from Naples and Palermo, similar age to my Giovanni. Giovanni Battista was a common name; it doesn't seem likely this is him considering he lived in the UK and doesn't appear to be very wealthy (that'd be UK to Italy, Italy to US, US back to Italy or UK...).
  • Whether he went back to Italy (visit or whatever) and died in Italy. None of the Italian records I could find online from http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/en or Ancestry/FamilySearch matched. Will be sending a request for a death certificate to the commune he was from Rocca D'Arce and Cassino.
  • Checking property ownership, if he owned property, I could check when the ownership changed (suggested to me elsewhere). Not sure how to go about this yet, on the list.
  • 'Giovani Battista' death index/certificate from 1915. Died in Chelsea, aged 55 years. Here it is: https://imgur.com/1W3G9E1 Age is off by about 13 years, location isn't where I'd expect and doesn't match with his son's birth certificate listing him as deceased in 1910. Could be him, but there's a lot wrong here, and I'm not sure how to check it.
  • I've ordered Anastasia's death certificate, waiting to receive it. Perhaps it will provide some further information.
  • British Newspaper Archives, could have definitely missed something. Novice using the website, still need to learn how to effectively search that site. https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
  • Potentially he was buried next to his first wife (Elizabeth), second wife (Anastasia) or perhaps one of his brothers Vincenzo or Antonio. Anastasia was buried in St. Dominic, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. The others I don't know. Worth checking out.

This thread is continued below, in the next post.
Battista
Lawson

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:08 BST (UK) »
Ran out of characters, some further info...

I will be requesting manual searches of records from Newcastle, Northumberland and Sunderland.

FreeBMD and GRO index searches for only the surname Battista and phonetic variations (no given names entered) from 1900 - 1922 throughout England result in no names or death ages that are close. I've found his children's death indexes, even his brothers who died in 1900 and 1936. I'm running out of ideas; any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure if this link is viewable:
Ancestry family profile: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/150930472/person/282002756595/facts

1911 census, family locations:

Giovanni Battista, 64 - Missing
Wife: Anastatia Battista, 48 (Whalan) - Missing (remarried?)

Biological children (to Elizabeth E. Lawson)
Son: Pasqualino Battista, 32 - Navy (not present in 1911 census, but entries in 1911 for UK Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services)
Daughter: Georgina Battista (Birmingham), 29 - Staying with sister Orselina in Tynemouth.
Daughter: Orselina Battista (Spence), 26 - Tynemouth, head of house.
Daughter: Elizabeth Ann Battista, 25 - Missing (married or dead?)
Son: Antonio Battista, 22 - 3 Back Barrington Street Monkwearmonth Sunderland, head of house.
John George Battista, 20 - Tynemouth, married. Not present in 1911 census. Has a 1911 marriage index.
Vincent C Battista, 16 - 11 Alexandra St Victoria Garesfield Nr Rowlands Gill, boarder, coal miner.
William Armstrong Battista, 13 - Sculcoates, Yorkshire-East Riding, inmate.
James Battista, 11 - Tynemouth, Northumberland, inmate.

(Step-children from marriage to Anastatia Whalan)
Step-daughter: Maria Alicia Whalan, 25 - Missing (married or dead?)
Step-daughter - Eleonore Whalan, 22 - Missing (married or dead?)
Step-daughter - Anastasia Whalan, 19 - Missing (there is a potential marriage record in 1916)
Step-son - Michael Whalan - dead

All children have been separated. Anastatia Battista cannot be found in the 1911 census, although there does appear to be electoral records of her from 1913 onwards (under Anastatia Whalan). I'm not sure if this is her, I suspect this is actually her daughter of the same name. She reappears in 1934 for a death index as Anastatia Battista (age and location seem correct).

The youngest two of Giovanni's children are "inmates" at Humber Industrial School Ship.

My other posts to genealogical communities:
r/Genealogy - https://www.reddit.com/r/Genealogy/comments/8jgvb2/missing_death_index_and_certificate_england/

British Genealogy - https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/92019-Missing-death-index-and-certificate
Battista
Lawson

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
It’s possible he could have died over the boarder in Scotland?
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:41 BST (UK) »
It’s possible he could have died over the boarder in Scotland?

Ah yes, good point. I forgot to mention, checked Scotlandspeople website for Battista's only thing I found was this: https://i.imgur.com/zgZJeJw.png No death, marriage or birth. Used their fuzzy and phonetic searches as well.

EDIT: I haven't purchased the census record, not sure if it's worth looking into?
Battista
Lawson

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 12:46 BST (UK) »
I’m afraid  that was the only suggestion I could come up with, other than could he have taken a trip to Italy and died there.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
I’m afraid  that was the only suggestion I could come up with, other than could he have taken a trip to Italy and died there.

Hmm, ok. Thanks for the suggestion anyway, might end up ordering that census if I get desperate.

If he did die in Italy, I hope he died in his commune... otherwise I don't think I'll ever find the certificate.
Battista
Lawson

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
"Anastatia Battista cannot be found in the 1911 census, although there does appear to be electoral records of her from 1913 onwards (under Anastatia Whalan). I'm not sure if this is her, I suspect this is actually her daughter of the same name. She reappears in 1934 for a death index as Anastatia Battista (age and location seem correct)."

Do you mean voting records?  Women didn't get the vote until 1918 and then it was only for women over 30 years of age.
Have you looked in the Newspaper Archive to see if there were any obituaries or marriage announcements or other articles for the family?  I have found the Newcastle newspapers were particularly fond of printing local news .
Also, do you know where his widow Anastatia was buried after her death in 1934 - maybe it was with her husband.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
When I am next at North Shields library I will see if they have any information.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
Do you mean voting records?  Women didn't get the vote until 1918 and then it was only for women over 30 years of age.
Although women rate payers were allowed to vote in local (but not parliamentary) elections from about the 1870s. So there are some on the rolls for this purpose.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk