Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 69583 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #144 on: Friday 15 June 18 12:26 BST (UK) »
Good point Jomot.  Although, workhouse record for Orselina indicates he was living at Turpin's Bank in July 1902.

Giovanni was recorded as a travelling musician at one point.  It is possible he may have died somewhere but have been unidentifiable when found.

I have a bloodline ancestor who was found dead in the River Tyne - albeit he was found the next day and an inquest was held.  I also have another ancestor - a  trainee pilot who was washed out to sea and never seen again during a storm in 1902.  There were plenty of witnesses in that case.
Perhaps Giovanni may have had an accident of some sort but there may have been no witnesses and he may have been unidentifiable when found.  Unfortunate but I suppose it could be a possibility.

I do hope one of these certificates might reveal something new which might help.  Even if not, hopefully one day another descendant who may know the answer may see this post and may contact Battista to let he or she know what happened. 

This once happened to me - a brick wall which was virtually impossible to solve was solved by another descendant (previously unknown to me) getting in touch and revealing all big time.  So keep casting out that net Battista.  You just never know this puzzle may well get solved this side of heaven.  Hopefully. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Sunday 17 June 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
This is just a post about something which a local studies member of staff said to me in conversation yesterday which might be something to consider.

In conversation, this staff member mentioned that if someone worked on a boat and died then the captain would register them at the next port they came to.

I wonder if Giovanni may have sought work on a boat on the Tyne sailing either from North Shields or Newcastle?  Perhaps he may have died on the boat and might be registered in a different country, for example Norway.  I would imagine at that time there would have been plenty of work in this area for anyone wishing to go to sea and various jobs available.

I don't know much about sea deaths concerning if there is a list somewhere of names.  Perhaps another RootsChatter may know.  I wonder if he did die at sea he may also have been buried at sea.

I saw a marriage record yesterday at a North Shields Church (1950s - in a volume) for someone whom I believe is a Grandson of Orselina.  Obviously, I won't post details for your records Battista as this person may still be alive.  However, I think it could well be possible that descendants of Giovanni may still be in this area.  (Although, I do not know this.). Another, descendant could well be the key to solve this puzzle for you - perhaps by word of mouth stories that have been passed down to them. 

As I think I have mentioned before, I once had a huge brick wall solved through an on-line appeal which was eventually spotted by another descendant.  And my brick wall was as seemingly as unsolvable as yours is - so don't give up hope. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Sunday 17 June 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
I've been following this thread without being able to add anything constructive but it occurs to me that on a ?marriage certificate mentioned earlier in the thread, Giovanni was recoded as deceased.  This implies that the family knew he had died, as opposed to him merely having gone missing or having died but been found by away from home and having been recorded as unknown.

Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sunday 17 June 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
Giovanni was recoded as deceased.  This implies that the family knew he had died, as opposed to him merely having gone missing or having died but been found by away from home and having been recorded as unknown.
d

I think I’m right in saying that if a person was missing for more than 7 years they could be presumed dead even if there was no positive proof  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Monday 18 June 18 10:20 BST (UK) »
I was talking to someone on Saturday who told me of someone in their ancestry who declared their Father dead even though he wasn't.  This person was apparently underage and would have needed her Father's consent - which would not have been given.

I do suspect in Giovanni's case he was likely to be dead.  However, there is always the possibility that he may not have been.  As Jen says he might have just been presumed dead.  Or there could have been a family fall out due to abandonment and he may have become 'dead' in their eyes though still around somewhere.  He may have been in the run.  So many possibilities!  And no further on to solving this as yet! :-\

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: Saturday 30 June 18 12:58 BST (UK) »
I am just passing some information told to me by someone else -

There is a will on Ancestry apparently for a Giovanni Battista 1931.  Died at the Italian Hospital in London.  Widow was named as Camilla. 

This may not be the Giovanni who is being searched for.  However, it might be worth looking at as bigamy did happen.  I wouldn't rule anything out without further investigation.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: Saturday 30 June 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi RTL

I'd already looked at that one and he's in London with wife Camilla in 1911, aged 40 & married 8 years, so presumably the Giovanni Battista who married Marta Camilla Brenta in 1903. 

I guess it's possible it could be the same person - the timescale certainly fits - but he'd need some excellent moisturiser to get away with claiming to be 40 when he would have really been 64 (but if it is him, I definitely need to know which brand ;D )
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Saturday 30 June 18 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jomot,

As mad as it might seem I still wouldn't rule this one out without further investigation.

My own Dad (now deceased) would have been able to pass for in his forties when in his sixties and his sixties when in his eighties if he had wanted to - maybe some people just have good genes.  Perhaps Giovanni had great genes. :)

I have not seen the will myself - I have been told it is in Italian.  However, in absence of any other Giovanni I do think this one might be worth investigating.  Bigamy might be a possibility.

Wouldn't it be great if this mystery could get solved!

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Sunday 01 July 18 03:37 BST (UK) »
From the Free Search on Durham Records Online,

Cemetery Registers
Sunderland
Elizabeth Ellen
Battista
abt 1909