Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 73365 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Battista,

This is what I have been able to find at North Shields local studies for you:

Burial Record for Elizabeth G Battista.  (Freebmd shows her as Elizabeth E Battista age 12.  However, in the burial record the letter looks quite like a G for middle name although I could be incorrect and age is 42 not 12.)

Entry: 2283
Elizabeth (G?) Battista
Female
42 years
Bird Street
Wife of Frank Battista
Date of Burial: 17 Sept. 1900
Unconsecrated Ground:  looks like 7700 but there is a possibility it could be 7760.

Death notice of John G Battista in the Shields Daily News - Thursday November 30 1916
'BATTISTA.- Killed in action, on Nov. 5th 1916 aged 25 years, Private John G Battista, beloved brother of Lily Spence, 3 Norfolk Street, North Shields - His King and country called him, the call was not in vain, On Britains's roll of honour, you will find this hero's name.'

Shields Daily News - 9 December 1916
In this newspaper there is a photo (head and torso shot of him in uniform and cap); not a brilliant photo but you can make out his features.  You will be able to get a copy by writing to the library.
Under the photo his name is spelled as Batiste but has the correct spelling in write up:

'Pte J G Batista, Northumberland Fusiliers, of Double Entry, Church Street, killed in action November 5th.'

So perhaps Lily lived at 3 Norfolk Street and John's address was Church Street?

See links below on his memorials.  If you have more information on him on his life story/background I am sure the 'North East War Memorials Project' would appreciate hearing from you.  They do very good story write ups on a feature on their website called 'Every Name A Story.' :)

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=6609

http://www.newmp.org.uk/detail.php?contentId=9045

I will go to Newcastle library soon and see what I can find out on Anastasia.  I hope the above Battista information may be relevant to your research.

Best Wishes :)

Added: I forgot to add name of cemetery.  It is Preston Cemetery, North Shields.  Thanks Jen for letting me know if omission - what would I do on here without you to keep me right.  :) ;)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline battista

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Burial Record for Elizabeth G Battista.  (Freebmd shows her as Elizabeth E Battista age 12.  However, in the burial record the letter looks quite like a G for middle name although I could be incorrect and age is 42 not 12.)

Entry: 2283
Elizabeth (G?) Battista
Female
42 years
Bird Street
Wife of Frank Battista
Date of Burial: 17 Sept. 1900
Unconsecrated Ground:  looks like 7700 but there is a possibility it could be 7760.

Yea, the death index for "Elizabeth E Battista" is transcribed as 12, although I looked at the original record available on ancestry and it is in fact 42. I've reported that error on both Ancestry and FreeBMD.

Frank Battista huh, there's another version of his name I haven't seen before. This record looks correct, right age, matches the death index date range and the 1901 census for Giovanni lists him living at 9 Bird Street.

Amazing that you've found her, I didn't know the date of burial or where she was buried.

Unfortunately, I have no information on J G Batista as of yet, but I have contacted some distant relatives who might. Hopefully, they'll get back to me.

Thanks for all this info you've gathered RTL, all new to me :D
Battista
Lawson

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 11:42 BST (UK) »
Give me a week or two and I will fit in a visit to the Newcastle library as soon as I can.  I will try to find out more for you such as a burial place and death notice for Anastasia.  If I can find plot section and grave number you will be able to contact the bereavement services with the information and check if any others are in the same grave. :)

You're amazing :) I didn't realise libraries carried that information.

Newcastle City Library has an excellent Local Studies Department containing a wealth of information  :)

Where did you actually find this record?

Answering my own question  ;D I see that it's on Family Search as a burial record.

However, searching the film number (1936946) on the Family Search catalogue I see that it is in fact listed as a death record from St Dominics, not a burial record.

So I'd now very strongly suggest that she is not buried there but in a municipal cemetery in Newcastle.

Ah ok, I see. I wonder how hard it is to track down which one?

I suggest you wait until RTL has had time to go to Newcastle Library. As she said earlier, there might well be a death announcement in the Evening Chronicle which gives the place of burial.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
Couldn't resist it - I am on a roll, so have cancelled something to come to Newcastle.  However, death notice for name you give turns out to be puzzling ???:

Evening Chronicle - Thursday 19 July, 1934

'Whelan.- 169, Portland Road, on the 17th inst., aged 72 years, Anastasia, beloved wife of the late Michael Whelan.  Cortege received at St Dominic's Church, Friday, 9.45 a.m.  Requiem Mass 10 a.m.  Interment All Saints 10.45 a.m.  Friends please accept this the only intimation.  On whose soul, sweet Jesus, have mercy.  R.I.P.'

Could husband have changed both names or did she remarry or is this another lady entirely? ???  Very puzzling!  Not sure if this might be a bit of a break through of your brick wall - I hope it is.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
Potentially he was buried next to his first wife (Elizabeth), second wife (Anastasia) or perhaps one of his brothers Vincenzo or Antonio. Anastasia was buried in St. Dominic, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. The others I don't know. Worth checking out.
Do you have Antonio's death? Only I've found a reference to an "Anthony" Battista who died in December 1911. Perhaps he went under the anglicisation of his name?
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
Couldn't resist it - I am on a roll, so have cancelled something to come to Newcastle.  However, death notice for name you give turns out to be puzzling ???:

'Whelan.- 169, Portland Road, on the 17th inst., aged 72 years, Anastasia, beloved wife of the late Michael Whelan.  Cortege received at St Dominic's Church, Friday, 9.45 a.m.  Requiem Mass 10 a.m.  Interment All Saints 10.45 a.m.  Friends please accept this the only intimation.  On whose soul, sweet Jesus, have mercy.  R.I.P.'

Could husband have changed both names or did she remarry or is this another lady entirely? ???  Very puzzling!  Not sure if this might be a bit of a break through of your brick wall - I hope it is.  :)

Now this is very interesting.

This burial has got to be the same one as that found on Family Search as Anastasia Battista Whelan. There can't have been two burials of an Anastasia Whelan at St Dominics on the same day!

It says she is the widow of the late Michael Whelan.

Giovanni was born c. 1847

There is a death in Newcastle on Tyne in 1904 of a Michael Whalen aged 57, i.e. born 1847

Is this just a coincidence?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:14 BST (UK) »

Now this is very interesting.

This burial has got to be the same one as that found on Family Search as Anastasia Battista Whelan. There can't have been two burials of an Anastasia Whelan at St Dominics on the same day!

It says she is the widow of the late Michael Whelan.

Giovanni was born c. 1847

There is a death in Newcastle on Tyne in 1904 of a Michael Whalen aged 57, i.e. born 1847

Is this just a coincidence?

I think it is just a coincidence  >:(

Anastasia's first husband was Michael Whelan.  The death announcement doesn't mention her second husband  :-\

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
I think it is just a coincidence  >:(

Anastasia's first husband was Michael Whelan.  The death announcement doesn't mention her second husband  :-\
Do you know her maiden name? I thought of this myself but am struggling to find a Michael Whelan/Whalen married to an Anastasia anybody.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:31 BST (UK) »
Per the linked posts, Anastasia Whalen/Whelan is on the Newcastle voting records at various addresses from 1903.  No husband is listed, and the return to her maiden surname suggests they may have separated.

In later years Mary Alice Whelan is with her, as is John Slavin.   A Mary Alice Whelan died in Newcastle in 1952 aged 66, which would fit with her daughter Maria Alicia.   

A John Slavin & Anastatia Whelan married in 1916, and there is a death in 1922 for an Anastasia Slavin aged 28, so likely the daughter as there are two Slavin/Whelan births, one in 1916 and one in 1919.
Returning to this for a moment, I think this may be the son born in 1919.

"SLAVIN - Newcastle, 7 Clarence Street, 25th inst., aged 20 years, Joseph Emmanual, dearly beloved son of John and the late Anastasia Slavin (nee Whelan). Cortège to be received into St. Dominic's Church, Tuesday, 8:20pm; Requiem Mass, Wednesday, 10am. Interment All Saints' Cemetery directly after Mass. All friends, neighbours, and members of Blessed Sacrament Guild kindly invited. On whose soul, sweet Jesus, have mercy. RIP."

Printed in the Evening Chronicle, 27th March 1939.