Author Topic: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]  (Read 74309 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing death index and certificate [Brickwall]
« Reply #225 on: Monday 22 October 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, I will check within the next few weeks - even if just to say all the boxes have been ticked before you go on to ask for a second check at Bolton.

If you know Pasqualino's date of death I could check for any possible notices including memoriams if you don't already have these. (When work hours permit).

I see according to freebmd an Elizabeth Battista married someone with the surname 'Englush' in 1919 December quarter in Newcastle.  Unfortunately marriage does not provide place of marriage.  I wonder if this person may be this ancestor Elizabeth? If so I wonder if she may have changed son John's name also to 'English '?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Monday 22 October 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much RTL - any and all info is useful.  I often find that things I think aren't of any use often come into play later on  :)

Regarding the Elizabeth Battista marrying English - she is one of my GGAunts, a daughter of Vincenzo.  She married Percy English and I have photos of her and her family.  Vincenzo also had an Eliza born 1893.
Walton, Battista, Moss, Maybury, Armstrong, Walker, Greenup, Norman, Holliday, Steele, Palmer, Graham, Sieverdink

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
I cannot find Elizabeth or son John at either the Harton (South Shields) or Sunderland workhouses.

I have found the Maria Battista death entry at St Mary RC in Newcastle upon Tyne:

It records that Maria Battista died in Maii -  no death date.  Home address given as 115 Blandford Street.  Burial at Elswick Cemetery on 29 May.  Death must have occurred back end of May as death entries above this one are for 20 and 27 May respectively.  There is a word in left hand margin but neither the staff or I can make this out ..

However, peculiarly the burial entry at Elswick is actually for

Entry 49365
Vincent Battiste (sic)
Male
1 mth
115 Blandford Street
Burial May 29 1916

???
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
Baptism for this Vincent:

St Mary RC, Newcastle upon Tyne 1916
Vincentius Battista
Born 9 April
Bapt 26 April
115 Blandford St
Angelo Battista
Anna Maria (Baker)

Antonio Guaglieri
Frances Guaglieri

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
I have found Pasquair story in Whitley paper.  Give me a few minutes to type. :)

Added:

Whitley Seaside Chronicle & Vistors'Gazette - Saturday, Aug 12 1911

'The usual fortnightly Petty Sessional Court was held at Whitley Police Buildings on Wednesday forenoon.  Mr H. Oswin Bell presiding.  The other magistrates on the bench were Mr F.E. Weightman, Mr R.L. Dees, Mr H. Richardson, Mr W.L. Dowling, Mr T.H. Askew, and Mr Morton.

OBSTRUCTION BY ICE CREAM VENDOR
Pasquair Battista, 25, Coronation Street, North Shields, ice cream vendor, appeared to answer a charge of obstructing the free passage of the Promenade, Whitley Bay, on the 26th July.
A police constable spoke to the offence.  Defendant, he said, was obstructing the traffic at 2 o'clock on the afternoon of the date mentioned, and he ordered him to move on.  At four o'clock he again found him obstructing the traffic.
Defendant contended, through an interpreter, that he did not understand the police-man's orders.
He was ordered to pay 7s 6d., including costs.'

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Fab RTL - thanks so much!

So, Angelo Battista was the third Battista brother Antonio's eldest son and Hannah Maria Baker was Angelo's wife.  She died in 1972 so it can't be her.  I knew about the baby Vincent... but perhaps there were twins?  Vincent and Maria?
Walton, Battista, Moss, Maybury, Armstrong, Walker, Greenup, Norman, Holliday, Steele, Palmer, Graham, Sieverdink

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
I think there may have been a mix up at the Church.  My guess is that perhaps the people concerned with burial confused baby Vincent with his Mother's name in part (Maria/Mary).  Perhaps she went by Mary rather than Hannah?  Baby only one month old so perhaps easy to confuse as a girl, perhaps?

There is no Maria buried according to the burial register .. only baby Vincent.

By the way, above newspaper for Whitley Bay was a weekly one.  The crimes and misdemeanors make fascinating reading.  Apparently, there was also a children's court.  There is also a write up of a charge of little children stealing toffees.  I have also come across someone 'dangerously' driving around Whitley Bay at 10 miles an hour! ;D

Gosh!  I am glad I live in Whitley Bay now and not then with all that crime around back then .. ice cream vendors blocking the path, toffee stealers and boy racers!  Whew!  ;D ;D ;D

This Whitley paper is my favourite newspaper; I hope to see this on-line one day.  Amazing reportage during the Great War especially.

Offline Love&Leaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
Definitely a possibility I suppose.. she was known as Hannah though on all the other docs I have on her.  At least its pretty certain that this Maria is not Marieta. 

I am in the process of trying to connect something from the Pasquale/Marieta marriage certificate to our Battista's..  there are definitely some addresses that cross between the three brothers families - for example Blandford Street is where my GGrandad Antonio (Vincenzo's son) lived with his young family, clearly close to his cousin Angelo.

Addresses seem to be a good to follow up on census's given what Wolfie found.  Regarding that though, in the region of Italy my ancestors are from it was more common for the name Battista to be given as a Christian name or middle name.  So it is likely that that family on the 1911 census are indeed Loretto's rather than Battista's.  Can't rule it out completely though because of the address being the same as on the Bernardo Battista baptism  :-\

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Tuesday 23 October 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
Well, I suppose if we keep digging now and then, you never know we might get to the bottom of things eventually .. :)