Author Topic: Patrick Joseph Maloney born 4 April 1903, location unknown but possibly Co Mayo  (Read 2017 times)

Offline jtobred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am currently stuck at a brick wall in my family tree. I am searching for the parents and birthplace of Patrick Joseph Maloney who was born on the 4 April 1903 somewhere in Ireland, possibly Westport, Co Mayo or Co Sligo. Patrick married Margaret Maughan but I am unsure of the date, though from the date of the eldest child’s birth, I suspect it was around 1938. They had as far as I am aware, two sons and four daughters. Patrick passed away on the 3rd of June 1986 in Rugby, Warwickshire. Any information regarding his parents, birthplace and marriage dates would be very much appreciated, many thanks in advance!

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
This may be him although DoB is Apr 02 1903 LINK #176
The handwriting is very difficult to read but the civil district is Castletowngeoghegan, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath

There is also a birth on Apr 03 1903 in Tipperary LINK #318

edited to add
This could be the marriage LINK #50
Shown as Patrick MALONEY m Margaret MONAGHAN in Ballina on Oct 14 1935
His father is shown as John which would tie to the Co. Westmeath birth

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
after consideration I believe the place of birth is shown as
"at the side of the road Rathnamuddagh"
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Have you checked the 1911 Irish census? I see 3 who were 8 yrs old on Mayo and a few others who were 7 or 9... so bu looking at the family on each of them could you potentially work out from the names used in the family if they are likely to be 'your' Patrick Maloney as names in Irish families tend to repeat in later generations more so than some from other places
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I could be way out but I think the mother's maiden name in that 1903 Mullingar birth could be Rooney not Mooney
There is a possible marriage in Dublin 1900
John Maloney and Mary Ann Rooney
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10300/5749300.pdf
and a possible daughter Lizzy in Longford in 1908
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1908/01633/1653122.pdf

Offline jtobred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you so much myluck! I think you’ve nailed it with those two records! Would anybody be able to transcribe the occupation of Patrick’s father? It looks to me like it says hawker/sealer & something else?
Sinann I think you’re correct, Rooney is definitely an Irish traveller surname

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
General Dealer & ?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
I haven’t seen this mentioned but it looks as though his father might have married on the same day - the top entry. If so, it would give another generation.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jtobred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thank you for pointing that out heywood! Would anybody be able to transcribe the address? I can’t read it at all :( it’s interesting that they’d get married on the same day. Obviously the woman he married then isn’t the mother, I can’t seem to find another marriage record for him?