Author Topic: Manchester Archives  (Read 1511 times)

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manchester Archives
« on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Hello
        Is anyone going to Manchester Archives anytime?
I got a pdf death for Alfred Collin who died 6 May 1856 aged 8 months
and I am looking for confirmation that he was buried at St James Greenacres Moor Oldham.
Greenacres Cemetery was not yet open and he is not in St Marys or St Peters.
Oldham Interest Centre only have odd years for St James so it would mean going to Manchester
for a single look up.
Many thanks
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Archives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:33 BST (UK) »
Burials from St James, Oldham are included amongst the Manchester set of burials on the Ancestry site -- filmed records of the actual parish register. They appear to run through the period in question without missing any sections -- there was no burial recorded for an Alfred Collin at the correct time I'm afraid.

This just states St James, in the Borough of Oldham -- so maybe it is a different St James you are seeking.

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, I didn't know that they had been filmed although I am not with Ancestry.
The family lived at Lower Moor Street ( later Shaw Road) which is in the parish of St James, so if the burial isn't there I can't think where it could be. All the children were baptised at St Peters and the family grave was at St Marys.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 11:48 BST (UK) »
Yes it does seem strange he isn't listed. I did look through each page around that time.

I wonder if he was simply omitted from the parish register. It would be easy enough to NOT record something.

It would be worth checking if there are Bishop's Transcripts for that period (must confess I am not sure when Bishops Transcripts stopped being produced -- must check!)

The other thing is Grave Registers, which are a bit like gold dust. They have details of everyone buried in a particular grave, who bought the grave etc. The church itself may still have those - or the local Archives. It depends if they have survived. Where they HAVE survived they are extremely useful.
Places of interest;

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
Oldham Local Interest Centre have confirmed it is the same church, I never knew they were online. I think you are right he was probably omitted from the register. I think he will be buried in a Robinson family grave, his grandfather Edward died 1857 before the Greenacres Cemetery opened, his widow is in there in 1874 and one of ours, John Collin an unmarried man was put in with her in 1887, so it seems they just filled up the graves, there are no headstones.
Many thanks

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
Collin --are you sure about this please?

A John Collin who died in 1887 - address 71 Lee St -is listed on Family Search as buried in Greenacres Cemetery. (If it's the same John Collin.)
Places of interest;

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
Yes thank you, that's the uncle of Alfred.
I did a bit more digging and besides the grandfather in 1857 there is also Sarah Jane Robinson aged 12 in 1856 and two babies both called Esther Robinson in 1841 & 1843, they will all be together but I can't find a burial for any of them, very odd!

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 15:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry I now see what you mean
William Robinson was buried in Greenacres in 1874
His mother  Mary was put in the grave in 1883
John Collin the brother in law was put in 1887

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Yes -- William and Mary Robinson seem to be in the same grave as John Collin -- K111 at Greenacres Cemetery. (Family Search).

However I cannot find the other family members - Esther Robinson x 2 and Sarah Jane Robinson at St James, Oldham.

Really sorry (also checked the on-line non-conformist burials without success)
Places of interest;