Author Topic: Evan Evans...looking for a few of them.  (Read 4286 times)

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Evan Evans...looking for a few of them.
« on: Wednesday 23 May 18 03:30 BST (UK) »
Lots of Evan Evans in my family.  Looking for information on three of them.

The youngest Evan, is my GG Grandfather.  Lived in Gerlan, near Bethesda, until 1904 - when he moved to Mountain Ash in South Wales.  We believe that he worked at Penhryn Quarry until the strike.  Cannot figure out where he is buried...Mountain Ash, or was he laid to rest near Gerlan.  Do not have a death date for him, but know that he was born around 1874 in Llanllechid.  Have record of his baptism at Glanogwen Church confirming that. 

Evan's older brother Evan, is the second one I am looking for information on.  He was born 1860, in Llanidan Anglesey.  He passed away before the 1881 census (likely before his brother Evan was born in 1874, so we think he died at around age 13) and I have no other information about him, other than he had moved with the family to Gerlan.  Would like to know what happened to him and where he is buried.

Their father Evan Griffith Evans (not a very creative family ;) ) was born in 1835 in Malldraeth, Anglesey.  He moved to Gerlan before the 1881 census, and lived there at 16 Goronwy St. (His older son Evan had passed away by then, and the younger son Evan (my GG Grandfather) was 7).  He passed away in November of 1904 in Gerlan, and I have his death notice, but cannot figure out where he was buried.  Notice even stated that he was a church going man, and a member of the Conservative Party.

Essentially would like to know where my Evan Evans' were buried, and any other information that can be found on them.  Thank you in advance for any help!  My sister and I are traveling to Gerlan (from the US) in less than a month, so we would love to be able to check out some of these places.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Evans...looking for a few of them.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 08:27 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat

Evan's older brother Evan, is the second one I am looking for information on.  He was born 1860, in Llanidan Anglesey.  He passed away before the 1881 census (likely before his brother Evan was born in 1874, so we think he died at around age 13) and I have no other information about him, other than he had moved with the family to Gerlan.  Would like to know what happened to him and where he is buried.

Do you have him on 1871 census  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I can see the family on censuses from 1861 to 1891 -

1861 - In Brynsciencyn, Anglesey Evan 26; Mary (wife ) 29 with sons Thomas 4 and Evan 1.Mary seem to originate from Llangeinwen and Evan from Maltreath - both in Anglesey.

1871 - In Well Street, Llanllechid, Evan 36 Mary 37, Thomas 13, Evan 11, Mary 8, Owen 6, Emmanuel 4 Robert John 10 months.

1881 - In Goronowy Street, Llanllechid - Evan Evans 47, Mary 48, Thomas 28, Mary 18, Owen 16, Emmanuel 14, Robert 10, Evan 7.

1891 -   Still in Goronowy Street, Evan 56, Mary 58, Emmanuel 24, Robert 20, Evan 17.

If you look for a death of the young Evan (born 1860) it looks like he died in 1873 age 13 - Free BMD has a death for Bangor District Mar Qtr Reference 11b/418 which may be him. 

If you subscribe to the Ancestry genealogy site you will see a number of family trees relating to some family members - perhaps you would be able to contact them prior to your visit? I haven't checked them all but for example one tree suggests that Owen Evans died in 1924 in the Bethesda area. It is also suggested that the father of Evan Evans (born c1835) was Thomas Evans (c1802) with his father being an Emmanuel Evans.

It looks to me there is a quite a big family out there waiting for you to find them.

Hope this helps

Alan

Another god source to look at is www.familysearch.org  which may help you to find more information.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 13:46 BST (UK) »
Burial at Glanogwen 1st April 1873
Evan Evans of 19 Well Street, Gerlan age 13

1901 Evan the elder still in Goronowy Street with wife Mary.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have some of the Gwynedd Family History Society publications relating to parts of Anglesey (South West Sector) and can give you information on the early names -

In the parish of Trefdreath -,
Emmanuel Evans of Tyn Llwyn, buried 31 Aug 1836 age 73;
His wife was Elizabeth Jones also of Tyn Llwyn was buried age 79 on 2 July 1842.

The baptism booklet shows a Joseph Evans being baptised at Capel Bethel, Trefdreath on 7 October 1806 - Emmanuel's parish is shown as Trefdreath, Elizabeth's being Denbighshire - Llansannan.

There are several more names in the burials booklet relating to Tyn Llwyn as follows -

Thomas Evans - age 43 - 28 May 1842
William Evans - age 6 months - 20 Feb 1843
Thomas Evans - age 3 - 3 Nov 1841
Emmanuel Evans - age 2 - 13 March 1838 
Elizabeth Evans - age 25 - 4 December 1839

Not sure how it all fits together but at least it is a start.

There is also the mention of a Marsly Rowland age 88 from Tyn Llwyn buried on 8 December 1818 and a Margaret Evans age 1 said to be daughter of Evan Joseph late of Tyn Llywn on 12 July 1843.

Food for thought.

Alan

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The memorial inscription booklet for St Nidan Church, Brynsciencyn has the grave of Joseph Evans (C041) who was buried October 1863 - age 58  and his son Owen - age 25 who was buried with him on 26 December 1865. His address was Tyn'rardd, Llanidan.

If you so wish, you can see Joseph, his wife Mary and family in the 1841/51/61 census records.

Alan

Offline HDeFer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 May 18 02:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone!  Looks like you are all spot on with identifying the family, and did give me some new information - Emmanuel Evans death date for example.  Much appreciated!

I can piece together some of the other death dates that you found...
I believe there was quite a sad time in the family with regards to this group.

"Thomas Evans - age 43 - 28 May 1842
William Evans - age 6 months - 20 Feb 1843
Thomas Evans - age 3 - 3 Nov 1841
Emmanuel Evans - age 2 - 13 March 1838 
Elizabeth Evans - age 25 - 4 December 1839"

Thomas was married to Elizabeth, who passed away in 1839.
Thomas and his son Evan (not on the list and is my GGG Grandfather) moved in with Elizabeth - who was the widow of Emmanuel.
Thomas passed away in 1842.
Elizabeth (Thomas' mother) died right after the census in 1841.
Not sure where little Emmanuel and William fit into the mix, first I've heard their names - but that doesn't mean they don't fit in there :-)

So, the grandfather, grandmother, mother, father, and possibly 3 siblings of my GGG Grandfather Evan Evans all passed away with a few years, leaving him quite alone as a young boy (I believe he was around 7 during the census).  In the next census it shows Evan (or an Evan with the same name - which I realize is quite likely) as a servant on a farm on Anglesey.  What a life he must have had.

I looked up the burial registration for the young Evan (born 1860) and that record does look like it belongs to the right guy, meaning he is buried at Glanogwen.  I have the death record for his father, Evan Evans, having passed away in November 1904 at between 66 and 69 years of age, but cannot locate where he is buried (record says Llanllechid).  Anything that popped up in your searches that may have been related to him?  My thought is that he is buried at Glanogwen as well.  Most of his children were baptized there over a span of quite a few years.  We cannot locate him in the parish death records though.

As for Tyn Llwyn, any clue if it is still standing?  Would love to be able to drive by it in a few weeks when we visit.  Sounds like it was in the family for a while.

Thank you all for your help.  It is exciting to find information on a large group of family members like this.  I have been so impressed by this group of wonderful people willing to help in the search.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 May 18 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Family Search has the baptism of a William Evans 24 March 1803 father Mannel Evans - is it possible that he was another brother for Thomas and Joseph? Maybe Emmanuel and William belong to him?

I don't know the area too well but you could perhaps ask on the Anglesey Board if anyone knows where Tyn Llwyn is in Maltreath? The censuses always show at the beginning of the census a description of the area contained in that census area.
For example in 1841 (District 14 which contains Tyn Llwyn) it says all that part of Trefdreath which lies on the east side of the road leading from Tan y Lan to Yard Maltreath inclusive of yard, village to north side of river.

Alan

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 May 18 08:56 BST (UK) »

Go to Maximum enlargement and Tyn Llwyn is on bottom left near fork in road betwen Trefdraeth Quarry and Y Gorlan
http://map.coflein.gov.uk/index.php?action=do_zoom&cache_name=gazetteer_ora_trefdraeth&gazid=174827

On Google Maps you can see the lane leading to it on maximum magnification and if you zoom oout you can see it from the air. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2052329,-4.3839204,3a,75y,126.29h,55.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM1nvvFJ0Y2LV04CbdtPQkA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656