Author Topic: Colonel / General Doughty  (Read 2603 times)

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colonel / General Doughty
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 11:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks

There is no date on the letters though my grandfather who filed the original wrote the following:

"Letter from America written in the days of the paddle steamer......from Elizabeth Doughty to her daughter Emma"!

From Wikipedia research this "time of the paddle steamer" would appear to be from around 1807.

What I do know however:

Eliza Doughty (DOB unknown, Place of Birth unknown)

mother of

Emma Doughty (DOB unknown, Place of Birth unknown)
married
Benjamin Wild (DOB 1792, Manchester, UK, Died 1836, Manchester) - various ranks in the army (29th Regiment of Foot) through Peninsular War.

parents of

Emma Caroline Wild (DOB 1819, France (British Subject))

Assuming youngest age to be with child being say 18, and not more than 2 years older than her husband, this would put her DOB approx between 1790 and 1801.

Also reference to grandchildren in the letter - Mary and "the boys" - so no Emma Caroline yet.

Thus would put the date of the letters any time between 1810 (if already at least 2 children) and 1819 when Emma Caroline arrived!! (Fits with the paddle steamers!)

Lots of holes and assumptions here but best I can go with.

Whether Elizabeth was resident or visiting is unknown - though have found no Colonel or General Doughy's in the British Army at this time (if visiting).

Thanks and best regards
Marcus

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 May 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
The first transatlantic voyage by paddle steamer was in 1819 - the SS Savannah.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 May 18 00:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shaun - had not picked that up - something to look further into today.

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 May 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Evidently the John Doughty you mentioned married an Elizabeth LaFever about 1778 in New Jersey.  Son James was mentioned as the "first child" in the info I saw from Family Treemaker.

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 May 18 04:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks SLStephens.
I hadn't picked up anywhere that James was "first child" and assumed was an only child.
Thanks again

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 June 18 04:51 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any information on any Colonel and/or General Doughty's from around the late 1700's / early 1800's in the USA.

I have copies of family letters from an Eliza (Elizabeth) Doughty (5x G Grandmother) writing to her daughter Emma in the UK from the USA, referencing her husband (presumably), a Colonel Doughty. Later letters refer to him as General Doughty.

Further, we understand Emma Doughty married a Captain Wild, who fought in the Peninsular Wars for the British who had a child named Emma Caroline Wild (born in France).

The only Colonel / General Doughty I can find that would fit timing wise would be General John Doughty (b.1754), but any genealogy links only show he has one son - James.

Generals George S. Doughty (b.1795), Enoch Doughty (b.1792) and Solomon Doughty (b.1772) - would all be likely too late.

Any help appreciated

Just an update on further research on this.

Whilst the family understanding was that Benjamin Wild married an Emma Doughty - this may not have been completely accurate.

What we have discovered is as follows:

1) We have found Eliza Doughty (born England) in the 1850 US Census living with a William Doughty (who has turned out to be Colonel William Doughty - naval architect - which fits). Residing with them is an Ann Jane Wild (born England). They were residing in Georgetown, Washington DC

2) We have found William Doughty's last will and testament which mentions his "Step Daughter" Annie Jane Wild (though by this stage in 1859 - he had a different wife, thus assume Eliza(beth) had died sometime during the 1850's. This Will also mentions her sister Emma and a brother Edward.

3) I have found Capt Benjamin Wild of the 29th Regiment, as father to 2 children baptised in Walmer, Kent (presumably at based at the barracks there) in 1816. Mother listed as Elizabeth. Children baptised were Ann Jane Wild (born 1814) and James Lees Wild (born 1816).

4) Further I have found a burial inscription / memorial to Benjamin in Manchester following his death, beloved husband of Eliza, buried with his son James Lees Wild (died age 12) and John McCandlish Wild (born 1830 / died @ 15 months).

Thus have deduced that "Emma Doughty" never existed and has been added to the family tree somewhere over the last 150 years.

Captain Benjamin Wild married an Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) who had at least 4 children - Ann Jane, James Lees, Emma Caroline (born France) and then a gap to John McCandlish (though maybe also an Edward somewhere)

After Benjamin's death in 1836 (and before 1850) Elizabeth Wild heads to the US and marries a Col William Doughty - though I can find no evidence of this other than the Census, Will and a single mention on here - http://cowaro.com/Genealogy/Surname_file/Doughty.html#LB_50 - with a mention of 1844.

Thus the letters we have that are from Eliza Doughty to Emma are actually to Emma Caroline - which also fits as names contained within also fit with the "grandchildren" mentioned.

So next step would be - does anyone have evidence or know where to find evidence of a marriage between Eliza(beth) Wild and William Doughty (1773-1859) in Washington DC? US records I find are sparse online for DC.

Also back to the drawing board on Eliza(beth)'s maiden name - though wondering if the "Lees" or "McCandlish" connection may appear somewhere.....

Many thanks
Marcus

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 June 18 09:56 BST (UK) »
There's a lot of Doughty's in USA on familysearch.

This hasn't been mentioned on this Thread as far as I can see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doughty.

Found William Doughty on 1850 Census District of Columbia - Washington - Georgetown, NW Ward.

202/216

William Doughty 77 bn Pennsylvania
Elizabeth 53 bn England
Anne G Wilde 33 bn England

Wilde's said to be related to Sir John Moore (General British Army and Corunna).
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 June 18 13:43 BST (UK) »
https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045462/1856-11-21/ed-1/seq-2/
 - third column, towards the bottom, records that "Mrs Doughty", wife of "Col William Doughty", had died on Wednesday night after a few days's illness.

Paper's date was 21 November 1856, a Friday, so that puts her death as 19th November 1856.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84020074/1844-05-15/ed-1/seq-3/
 - here, a mention of the death of Eleanor Doughty, wife of Col. William Doughty. She was 74 in 1844 (but I suppose he was in his 70s by this point too?)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 01:52 BST (UK) »
Fantastic - thank you.

The dates fit, though he also had a further wife - Mary Ann - before his own death in 1879 - who survived him and is mentioned in his Will.