Author Topic: Colonel / General Doughty  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Guitarswithcapos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Colonel / General Doughty
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 18 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hi I live in the US in a town called Somerville N.J.  Eliza Van Arsdale Doughty is the full name of the woman who’s letters you possess. Her husband was a state senator named Eugene S. Doughty. They came from an affluent powerful family with both military and political ties throughout central New Jersey. My friend and I would love to see a copy of those letters as we are currently investigating the remnants of the property where this family once had their ancestral home.

Offline Guitarswithcapos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 18 03:04 BST (UK) »
Also the family had several military members holding ranks of colonel or higher. Eliza Doughty would have entered the family through marriage to Eugene Doughty and his father Solomon Doughty was in fact a Major General in the US army, possibly even having served during the American revolution.

Offline mjtaylor1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Guitarswithcapos - I am not sure this will be the right Eliza Doughty, as this one was certainly married to a Benjamin Wild here in the UK prior to her move to the US. The names of the grandchildren noted in the letter doesn't match either.
Thanks for coming back though - but the mystery continues.
Best regards
Marcus