Author Topic: edinburgh birth help required  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: edinburgh birth help required
« Reply #9 on: Friday 25 May 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Ah, I see. I searched for a John Muir born 1822 plus or minus 5 years. The one with wife Susanna is listed as 50, which means born 1830 or 1831, so no wonder I didn't find him.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 May 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
So family names match, ages match they were in the same locations at the same time but to confirm 100% I need to find there births.
I've been mulling over this, and I'm not sure that finding their births will actually prove conclusively who was who.

You have evidence from the 1841 and 1851 that they were all born in Midlothian, and you also have evidence from the 1841 for the children's years of birth (except John, who was not listed with his parents and siblings). From the 1851 census, you have evidence for more precise years of birth for George and Jane/Jean/Jan(n)et, and confirmation that they were born in Midlothian, possibly Edinburgh.

If any of them had married in Scotland after 1855, their marriage certificates would have provided definite evidence because Scottish marriage certificates give the full maiden names of the couple's mothers. But without knowing Jane/Jean/Jan(n)et's surname from other evidence even that wouldn't be proof.

I looked to see if Susannah Muir, née Patterson, had died in Scotland but that does not seem to be the case. It would be possible to find out whether her husband died in Scotland, but a bit time-consuming, especially if he didn't, and with the eight-year discrepancy between his DoB as stated in your first post and his age as recorded in the 1881 census. 73 deaths of John Muirs born between 1821 and 1831 were registered in Scotland after 1881.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline squatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 May 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Susannah Muir died in cornforth in 1903

James was married in Scotland in 1852 but the record only mentioned bride a grooms name and brides fathers name.

A had a look at Helen smart Muir birth, it only told us what we already new and that they are the hunslet family. I did again say James was born in edinburgh.

I did try and find a George Muir with a sister jannet Watson but according to 51 census she would have been born in the 1770's so no luck

John Muir would have been the oldest child and aged 19ishmay have left home, I know he was in durham pre 1850 because that's when he married Susana

Thanks for your help in the search