Author Topic: Frederick Siggs Chelsea 1846  (Read 725 times)

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Siggs Chelsea 1846
« on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to pin down what happened to this man. He was born in Chelsea in 1846 appeared on the 1851 and 1861 census returns, joined the Royal Artillery in 1870 ( d.o.b. given as 1849 ) and last record that I can find is as a deserter in 1876. After this he disappears without trace. Can anybody find anything that I can’t ?!? Thanks, Kevin.
Siggs of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex, Chelsea and Fulham. Whiffing/Whiffen of Suffolk. Wise of North East Hampshire (Fleet, Church Crookham area)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Siggs Chelsea 1846
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Do you know where he was posted in 1876 when he deserted?

He quite possibly changed his name (easy to do at the time) and moved countries so some more information about his family would help. For example, parents names including mother's maiden name, any sibling names, etc. Exact birthdate if you have it.

If I have the right person, he and some of his siblings were registered as / used the surname of Ohren in addition to Siggs, although I can't find him under either name.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:19 BST (UK) »
That's right. His mother was Margaret Ohren, used the name Siggs. His father, Charles Matthew Siggs died in 1855, had previously been married so I guess this family were all 'illegitimate'. His family mostly remained in the Chelsea / Fulham area. His brother Joseph died in Fulham in 1930. I know what happened to all of the family bar Frederick, he remains a mystery. His joining the army is a recent relevation, since I started researching my family maybe 15 years ago, his fate has always eluded me.
Siggs of Suffolk, Cambridge, Essex, Chelsea and Fulham. Whiffing/Whiffen of Suffolk. Wise of North East Hampshire (Fleet, Church Crookham area)

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:22 BST (UK) »
1851 census

Charles Siggs Head Married 46 Milk Man Aveley, Essex
Louisa Siggs Daughter Unmarried 12 Scholar Fulham
Mathew Siggs Son Unmarried 10 Scholar Fulham 
Fanny Siggs Daughter Unmarried 9 Scholar Fulham 
Jesse Siggs Daughter Unmarried 7 Scholar Chelsea 
Frederick Siggs Son Unmarried 4 Scholar Chelsea 
Eliza Siggs Daughter Unmarried 2 Chelsea 
Sophia Siggs Daughter Unmarried 5mo Chelsea

Moderator comment: edited for content. Please do not copy and paste transcriptions from commercial sites. You must transcribe what you see in the images.

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
This is the family. For reasons unknown the mother wasn't present at the time of the census.

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:28 BST (UK) »
Again in 1861. Father now dead.

Margaret  Siggs  Head  Widow  39  Ironer  Stepney
Matthew  Siggs  Son  Unmarried  20  Carman  Walham Green
Louisa  Siggs  Daughter  22  Servant  Fulham
Jessie  Siggs  Daughter  15  Shirt Maker  Chelsea
Frederick  Siggs  Son  18  Scholar  Chelsea
Jane  Siggs  Daughter  9  Scholar  Chelsea
Joseph  Siggs  Son  6  Scholar  Chelsea
Edith  Siggs  Visitor  4  Scholar  Chelsea

Moderator comment: edited for content. Please do not copy and paste transcriptions from commercial sites. You must transcribe what you see in the images.

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
Sophia in 1851 is Jane in 1861 ! Her name was Sophia Jane.

Offline Kmsiggs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:35 BST (UK) »
I'm also curious as to who Edith Siggs is. I've found a record of her birth on freebmd and there is a record of her death in 1862. I know of no other related family living in the area. I suppose I could apply for a birth certificate. Unless it was the illegitimate child of one of the siblings.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 May 18 21:54 BST (UK) »
I'm also curious as to who Edith Siggs is. I've found a record of her birth on freebmd and there is a record of her death in 1862. I know of no other related family living in the area. I suppose I could apply for a birth certificate. Unless it was the illegitimate child of one of the siblings.

GRO site shows mother's maiden name. None recorded for Edith - usually suggest illegitmate