Author Topic: Netherlands and France: Bredeka  (Read 5430 times)

Offline grahamd15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Netherlands and France: Bredeka
« on: Thursday 24 May 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for more information to do with a certain Bredeka family from the Netherlands however I am unsure where to search.

My ancestor Andre (Andrios +other variants) Bredeka was born in Rijnsburg during 1782 to Jacob Bredeka and Debora Bilsteijn. Debora died in 1784 at Amsterdam. Jacob married again to Anna De Wit on 26 June 1785 again at Amsterdam. Firstly, I'd like to find more information on Andre and his family in the Netherlands if possible.

Andre at some point moved to Saint-Malo in France and was marred three times:
1. Jeanne Marie Leleer m. c. 1810
- Victor Auguste b. 1811
- Caroline Athalie b. 1812
2. Jeanne Francoise Charuel m. 23 June 1832
- Isidore Andre b. 1833
3. Jeanne Gabrielle Francoise Tabourel m. 4 March 1839
- Edmond Andre b. 1839
- Edmond Charles Edouard b. 1840
- Edmond Charles Isidore b. 1841
- "Anonyme" b. 1842
- Charles Henry b. 1842
- Alfred Eugene b. 1843

I'd like to find out what happened to the children of Andre as well, they were all born in Saint-Malo and I only know what happened to my ancestor Edmond Charles Edouard (who moved to Australia in 1860).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Offline jayaygee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Netherlands and France: Bredeka
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 May 18 15:34 BST (UK) »
Geneanet at geneanet.org has quite a lot of information.  You can consult the trees for free but need to be a Premium member to see some of the rest (marked "P").

See also the Archives Départementales de l'Ille et Vilaine (department 35) on line at
http://archives-en-ligne.ille-et-vilaine.fr/thot_internet/FrmSommaireFrame.asp
Look at the "Tables décennales" first to find mentions of the name and then consult the relevant registers to see the full entries.

Regards
Judith
BDF Twigg, Ellingham, Gates
BKM Bilbey, Collins, Brandon, Norwood, Smith
HAM Holloway (Romsey area)
HRT Brooks (Tring area)
LDN Saunders, Beedle
MDX Saunders
MLN Maitland, Robertson, McGlashan(all Edinburgh)
OXF Morby, Cross, Gardner (all Banbury area)
SAL Jones, Mathews, Higginson, Davies, Gobourn, Blount
WAR Pritchard (Birmingham)
WRY Dickinson, Atkinson, Mellon, Pritchard, Ashforth, Helliwell, Hague, Dungworth (all Sheffield area)

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
It seems that you know enough regarding this family's deaths and marriages in Amsterdam so I won't bother with those events.

However have you already had a look at Jakob (de) Bredeka's files in the Amsterdam series "Boedelpapieren 1634-1938"?. Stick the following page in Google translate to understand the gist of this series: https://archief.amsterdam/indexen/boedelpapieren_1634-1938/handleiding/index.nl.html

There are 2 files available:
1794 (cover + 8 pages) - https://archief.amsterdam/indexen/boedelpapieren_1634-1938/zoek/query.nl.pl?i1=1&a1=bredeka&x=9&z=a#A05783000207 (Note: The 1782 baptism of son "Andries" is mentioned in this file)

1789 (cover + 1 page) - https://archief.amsterdam/indexen/boedelpapieren_1634-1938/zoek/query.nl.pl?i1=1&a1=bredeka&x=9&z=a#A05780000017

Sylvia

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:16 BST (UK) »
P.S. If the page does not display properly, make sure Adobe Flash is allowed to run for this site

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:28 BST (UK) »

From a previous link that I'd mentioned, it appears that Jakob died in Netherlands Indies. Unfortunately I won't be able to glean his parents from that event. However, I wonder whether Jacob, his parents and his siblings are mentioned in the following events (there are actual documents on the Amsterdam site if you really want them)

(marriage)
inschrijvingsdatum: 05-08-1757
naam bruidegom: Bredeka, Andries
naam bruid: Mulder, Elisabet
bronverwijzing: DTB 601, p.85
opmerkingen: Huwelijksintekeningen van de KERK.
Archief van de Burgerlijke Stand: doop-, trouw- en begraafboeken van Amsterdam (retroacta van de Burgerlijke Stand)
Ondertrouwregister: NL-SAA-26182613

(baptisms)
kind: , Jacob Dionisius
doopdatum: 07-06-1758
kerk: Lutherse Kerk
godsdienst: Evangelisch-Luthers
vader: Bredika, Andries
moeder: Mulders, Elisabeth
getuige: Jacobs de Boer, Hendrik
getuige: Cornelis, Antje
bronverwijzing: DTB 241, p.79(folio 53), nr.9
Archief van de Burgerlijke Stand: doop-, trouw- en begraafboeken van Amsterdam (retroacta van de Burgerlijke Stand)
Doopregister: NL-SAA-23850837

kind: , Anna Catharina
doopdatum: 15-02-1762
kerk: Kerk aan huis
vader: Bredeka, Andries Gottlieb
moeder: Mulders, Lijsje
bronverwijzing: DTB 245, p.3(folio 2), nr.3
Doopregister: NL-SAA-23824494

kind: , Jan Wilhelm
doopdatum: 21-02-1768
kerk: Kerk aan huis
vader: [de] Bredeka, Andries Gottlieb
moeder: Mulders, Elizabeth
getuige: Bredeka, Elizabeth
getuige: Hagenseeker, Jan Wilhelm
bronverwijzing: DTB 251, p.89(folio 60), nr.8
Doopregister: NL-SAA-23864909

(burial)
ingeschrevene: Breedeka, Andries
datum begrafenis: 28-10-1808
begraafplaats: Heiligewegs- en Leidsche Kerkhof
bronverwijzing: DTB 1248, p.170vo en p.171
Begraafregisters voor 1811: NL-SAA-10936854

Sylvia

Offline grahamd15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 May 18 03:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith I'll have a look through those!

Wow! Thank you for finding all of that information for me Sylvia. Unfortunately I am unable to read Dutch, if you wouldn't mind would you be able to translate them for me?
If Jacob died in the Netherlands Indies does that mean he was part of the Dutch East India Company?

Daniel

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 May 18 06:40 BST (UK) »
I assume that by now you’ve taken my advice and read the “handleiding” page using Google Translate, so you’ll be able to understand why those 2 files were created.

I’m not great at the interpretation of these old documents, but here’s the gist:
The 7 Oct 1889 file is a declaration that Jakob de Bredeka from Amsterdam will pay off a 150 guilder debt with his first pay as a “matroos” (sailor) to the “East Indies”. His ship is the “Nieuwstad”.
The document seems to be a VOC Hoorn document, so I’m not sure whether the East Indie Company in Hoorn had loaned him money to pay off existing debts or whether it was for other reasons.   
A note was scribbled in 1792. I’m guessing that he’s paid 38 guilders and that he has died. Finally it says “niets te goed”. It could either be that the VOC has wiped his debt or that he owns nothing.

The orphanage creates the May 1794 file and it is all about son Andries. It includes his parents, their church membership, their background, how much they owned, when they died etc (especially the very convoluted page 3)
Page 4 is an extract of Andries’ baptism: He was baptised on 28 April 1782 in Naarden
Page 5 talks about Jacob’s church membership
Page 6 lists the estate for the couple . There is “geen goed” i.e. they left nothing.
Page 7 is a VOC declaration that Jacob went to the East Indies as a sailor on the “Nieuwstadt” and that he died in the hospital in Batavia on 8 Sep 1790 …. “zonder iets na te laten” (no estate).
Page 8 covers Debora’s 1784 burial.
Page 9 is an extract of the parents marriage: On 29 July 178? (not sure what the scribble represents) Jacob, born Amsterdam and  Debora, born Beverwijk married in Naarden.

According to those 2 newspaper articles, Andries had disappeared from the orphanage and they are looking for him. In 1875 he is described as tall and skinny.  It also mentions “DIA Weeshuis” and I assume this stands for Diaconie Weeshuis (there is a picture on the “handleiding” page)

Sylvia

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 May 18 07:09 BST (UK) »