Author Topic: Williams family 1911 census Sutton Oak  (Read 1126 times)

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Williams family 1911 census Sutton Oak
« on: Thursday 24 May 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
The Williams family were living at 50 Joseph St, Sutton Oak, St Helen's Lancashire in the 1911 census, namely William, his wife Sarah and daughters Doris and Myfanwy. Sarah's widowed mother Mary Thomas was also living with them.
Sarah was born in Coedpoeth, Denbighshire in 1877/1878. I don't seem to be able to find out what happened to any of them after 1911.
Does anyone know if they stayed in Sutton Oak? they moved there circa 1908, as Doris was born in Blaenau Ffestiniog in 1907 and Myfanwy in St Helens in 1909.
Hope someone can help, Nellie

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Williams family 1911 census Sutton Oak
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Do you have the actual date of birth for any of the Williams family? It would be helpful to find them after the 1911 with that information as the name Williams is so popular.

JJ

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry JJen, this is the problem I am having. Sarah's birth was registered Jan-Mar 1878 so could have been born late 1877 and the 2 girls' births were both registered Apr-Jun quarter. William may have been born in Carnarvonshire in 1879. The family do not seem to have been baptised so cannot narrow down the search. I thought that the 1939 census may help but it just seems to have helped rule out all the possible marriages for the girls as the ages don't add up ( assuming the correct information has been given/recorded). No surviving family members have been able to help identify them which makes me think they did not return to Wales.
This is just a last resort long shot... You never know who may be reading this. Thanks, Nellie

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
I think Sarah's maiden name is Thomas. The GRO index shows a Doris born Ffestiniog Reg District in 1907 maiden name Thomas and a Myfanwy born Prescot Reg District in 1909 mother's maiden name Thomas.

I think Myfanwy is living in Liverpool in the 1939 National Identity register

Not sure it's the right Myfanwy. I think you need to get a birth certificate or 2 to find the family definitely in the 1939 National Identity register.y

If the girl's were born in March their births may not have been registered until April. You have 6 weeks to register the birth.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
If Myfanwy is the one in liverpool in 1939 she died in Liverpool in 1983 - the birth dates of 1/2/1909 match

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 May 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
i had seen the Myfanwy Williams in Liverpool in the 1939 register but I was not convinced that this is her. The other members of the household could be an aunt and cousins but the head of the household Sarah Williams is not her mother. She could of course be a stepmother and the others may be her step siblings. It may just be a coincidence that she is living with a family sharing the name Williams.
i will have a good look at this when I have the time but at first glance it seems not a good fit.
A birth certificate for Myfanwy will probably be the next step. Nellie

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
There's a possible Doris in a hospital in 1939 in Lancaster again without a date of birth it's hard to tell if it's your Doris.

Offline NellieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
I have now received the birth certificate for Myfanwy (dob 4th May 1909) and discovered that she married Evan Jones in Wrexham in 1935 so suspect that the rest of the family may have moved back to Wales too. In 1939 Evan and Myfanwy were living in Ruabon with no children.
Nellie

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 June 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the update  :)

Death? -

Myfanwy Jones
Death Age - 72
Birth Date - 4 May 1909