Author Topic: Where is St Joseph RC Cemetery Birtley?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is St Joseph RC Cemetery Birtley?
« on: Thursday 24 May 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandmother Bridget Conroy died 4 June 1892.  Burial entry in St Joseph RC Birtley records that she was buried on 7 June 1892 at Cemetery of St Joseph Birtley.  Does anyone have information on this cemetery, please?

I have visited the Church but the grounds look quite small.  Surely this can't be the cemetery?

Will appreciate any information.  Thank you.:)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is St Joseph RC Cemetery Birtley?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 May 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
It would appear that in the 1960's the graveyard was mostly cleared of it's gravestones and re-erected by a wall. -

http://www.stjosephs-birtley.co.uk/phistory.html#The%20Grounds%20and%20Graveyard

JJ

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 May 18 22:02 BST (UK) »
You can see the burial ground on this 1896 map https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/427281/556015/12/100615

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 May 18 22:16 BST (UK) »
 The Gravestone Photos site shows in its section for cemeteries in co Durham that St Josephs RC Church, Birtley is "pending" - so might be worth keeping your eye on. It looks as though the gravestones have been photographed but have yet to be indexed. (The photographs I have downloaded from this site have all been a very high quality).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for these posts.  The history link is very interesting.  The old map comes up with a subscribe to view.

I expect she may not have had a grave stone as her husband - my Great Grandfather Simon Peter Conroy was a miner and I have discovered in my researching to date that they had ten children.  So most likely money may have gone on the living rather than memorials for the dead.  However, I could be wrong.  I have other ancestors buried here too so I do have an interest in this place.

Many thanks JJen, Stan and Millmoor I do appreciate that you have taken the time to help me with my query. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 May 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
The old map comes up with a subscribe to view.

The map comes up with the message "Subscribe to view mapping at this zoom level"
You only have to subscribe if you want the maximum zoom, you can zoom out until you get the map, I am not a subscriber. Zoom out using the - in the top left corner. If you keep zooming out you will get the modern map.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 May 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Stan!

Now I am getting 'The page cannot be displayed' - some technical difficulties - however, I will try again later.  I do appreciate your help. :)

Offline stevej60

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 June 18 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi River tyne lass,yes St Joseph's burial ground does surround the church and is very small the last
burial's were During  the great war, after the Belgians left Elisabethville their Cemetery on the Lamesley
road was used for Birtley Catholic burials formany year's until it was full.
Bland(Chester-le-street) Round(Dudley/Durham)Kirton(Gateshead)
Smith(Gateshead)Littleton(Sacriston)
Wayman(Cambs&Newcastle)Green(Lincs)Smith(bucks)
Watson(Gilling west & Gateshead)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 June 18 09:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you Steve.  I was quite surprised when I visited the Church and saw the small grass area around it.  I thought surely all those people including my ancestors (who are recorded on the microfilm at the archives) could not all be buried here surely?

It does make sense that they would have to be buried elsewhere.