Author Topic: LAndSWRY Laborer occupation  (Read 3097 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LAndSWRY Laborer occupation
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Could  be Ballast Train Guard ? That is a guard on a train carrying ballast and sand to deliver to permanent way gangs along the railway line.

Ballast Guard: A goods guard in charge of train of trucks conveying ballast for use in repair of permanent way. From "A Dictionary of Occupational Terms"
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 10:58 BST (UK) »
Where does this Henry Robins live,how old is he and when you say family,who are they?

In 1891 there are 148 people called Henry Robins, I'm not going to look at them all for you  ;D

Carol

From the transcription on Familysearch
He appears to be 35 years old born Berkshire, occupation given as "ballist train guard LSN"
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
It is Train

Stan

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
Where does this Henry Robins live,how old is he and when you say family,who are they?

In 1891 there are 148 people called Henry Robins, I'm not going to look at them all for you  ;D

Carol

From the transcription on Familysearch
He appears to be 35 years old born Berkshire, occupation given as "ballist train guard LSN"

How did you even get to the 1891 census on Family Search,it is the most confusing of all the websites and very American biased.

I log on and get "Search Historical Records" you then put a name in but if you don't know their approx date of birth you get thousands of possibles. I don't see anywhere to enter an occupation least of all narrow down a particular UK census?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
The company looks to be the London & South Western again. Probably couldn't squeeze in the "&".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Carol8353

Familysearch is not a sensible first place to try to look for a census entry.  I'm afraid you need one of the pay sites, or to go to a record office.  If a census entry comes up on FS it's a free bonus!

Melbell

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
In 1901  he is a Foreman (Ballast Train).

Stan

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 23:18 BST (UK) »
Having worked for South West Trains at Wimbledon, I'll add that ballast is the name for the pieces of stone that the sleepers and rails are bedded on to. It is the off-white mis-shapen stones, one to two inches across.

Martin

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 June 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
Carol8353

Familysearch is not a sensible first place to try to look for a census entry.  I'm afraid you need one of the pay sites, or to go to a record office.  If a census entry comes up on FS it's a free bonus!

Melbell

Melbell,that is exactly my point,unless we are given more info from the start how can we possibly find someone on the censuses on either Find My Past or Ancestry,both of which I have subscribed to for at least 20 years.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk