Author Topic: Mounted Guards North End Station  (Read 832 times)

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mounted Guards North End Station
« on: Friday 25 May 18 06:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have found a Mounted Guards record for my multiple great grandie John Parsons in the National Archives (with thanks to a RootsChat member). He joined the Mounted Guards in March 1834 and his first station was North End. I have no idea where that is (I live in Australia) and Google Maps hasn't been particularly helpful. I note that either side of this posting his children were born in Ringwould and then Sandwich. Any ideas as to where this station might have been (or still is!) greatly appreciated :)
Holohan, Darenzy (various), Farmer, Peacock, Formby, Hannon, Parsons

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mounted Guards North End Station
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 18 06:35 BST (UK) »
Could be this North End:

North End (Deal), Kent
Historical Description
North End, a place, with a coastguard station, in the E of Kent, near Deal.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1894-5

https://ukga.org/england/Kent/towns/NorthEnd(Deal).html

Tony

Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much tonepad. I think that is a great contender :) Fits with what I know of the family in that period. :D

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:30 BST (UK) »
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
ADM 175-6 shows a John Parsons joining the Mounted Guard on 11 March 1834 and stationed at “North End” Deal.
He then served at Kingsgate and South Shore stations and was removed from service on 5 May 1838.

The Mounted Guard was the land based part of the Coastguard service, then trying to control smuggling activities. They were recruited mostly from cavalry regiments and the police..

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 May 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian999, thanks for that additional information. Another RootsChat member recommended me to ADM 175-6 but I have been unable to download it - keep getting an error message each and every time over a period of a week (and again this morning just before posting this). I have reported this to the National Archives and they had similar problems so sent me the download only of the one that shows the North End entry. I'm intrigued - "he was removed from service?" What does this mean? When his son was born in 1843 (my multiple great grandie) occupation of father was shown as Coast Guard Service. Is this something different? Does the entry show where he (and his wife) were born at all? I'll have to ask the NA if they can send me this download as well. Thanks again :)

Offline Ian999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
JR, send me a PM and I will respond with a pdf copy of the relevant page from ADM175-6.
“Removed” from service has no particular connotation and was used commonly.
It does not show where he or his wife were born.

You are in a better position than me as I have been looking for years for an ancestor who left a cavalry unit and joined the Mounted Guard. I have no firm idea which cavalry regiment he was leaving. I have spent a lot of time and money searching the payroll records of various likely regiments to see if I could identify which one was the correct one. Then I could try and find the Attestation Papers which might show his birthplace and parents.

If you know he was definitely in the 3rd Dragoon Guards you could circumvent the Mounted Guard search and go directly to the payroll records and then his papers (if they were retained, -- several I looked at did not have such papers).

Good Luck

Offline Mehrtsgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 26 May 18 04:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian999 - appreciate your help. PM sent. I'm glad "removed" wasn't something to hide with the family skeletons!! Good luck with your own search :)