Author Topic: Thomas Jerman  (Read 6540 times)

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jerman
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
Did Thomas' son William Jerman/Williams (1868) who's birth was registered as Jerman marry Jane Jones in Q2 1892 as William Jerman?

It looks like it - marriage 20 May 1892 at Llangwyfan parish church of William Jerman, 24, b, labourer, son of Thomas Jerman, labourer and Jane Jones, 17, s, dau of Robert Jones, labourer. Both bride and groom of Plas, Llangwyfan. FindMyPast has the marriage but the parish is wrongly transcribed as Llangristiolus.

I can't find the 1911 census, can you point me in the right direction? Do you know when they left Anglesey?

Anglesey - Thomas:
Bodedern, Heneglwys, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Jones:
Llanfaethlu, Llanfair-yn-Neubwll, Rhoscolyn.
Anglesey - Parry:Llanfair-yn-Neubwll.
Anglesey - Lewis:Llanbadrig.
Anglesey - Willins & Tyran/Tyrer

Caernarvonshire - Evans and Lewis:Llanberis.

Denbighshire - Jenkins:Llandynan, Llantysilio, Cerrigydrudion.
Denbighshire - Jones:Rhos, Ruabon.
Denbighshire - Jones:Henllan

Flintshire - Mathews:Northop

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 May 18 19:21 BST (UK) »
I can't find the 1911 census, can you point me in the right direction? Do you know when they left Anglesey?
OK, got it now
Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones:

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 May 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Some more information on William Williams and his brother John in Llanbradach, Glamorgan in 1911 (note no mention of Jerman).

In 1901 it seems William Williams is a boarder at Pontypridd (RG13, 5016, 132,4) while his wife Jane and the older children are in Anglesey:
Jane Williams, 26, b. Newborough
Elizabeth J. Williams, 6, b. Treorchy
Mary C. Williams, 4, b. Treorchy
Catherine Williams, 2, b. Trefdraeth
(RG13, 5275, 49,7)

Catherine's birth was registered on Anglesey - Catherine daughter of William Williams/Jane Jones b. Trefdraeth 4 Nov 1898 - as was Robert, son of William Williams/Jane Jones b. Llansadwrn 18 Feb 1902.

Looking at the children of John Williams in the 1911 census, those born in Anglesey had their births registered as:
Catherine, dau. of John Williams/Maggie Williams b. 4 Dec 1903, Trefdraeth
John, son of John Williams/Maggie Williams b. 21 Oct 1905, Llangristiolus

John & Maggie Williams were in Aberfan in 1901:
John Williams, 23, b. Bodorgan, Anglesey
Maggie Williams, 24, b. Llangristiolus, Anglesey (RG13, 5026, 66, 10).

I can't find the marriage of John and Maggie Williams, nor the death of Maggie, in Anglesey records.
Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones:

Offline Mike Thw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 May 18 06:49 BST (UK) »
I think (maybe) John and Maggie's marriage was registered in Bangor in Q2 1900.

Nearest death of Maggie I can find was registered in Carnarvon Q1 1911.

Offline John Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 June 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Most of my ancestors were named Jerman .The Thomas Jerman iv,e seen mentioned here  I think is my ancestor .Thomas Jerman born 1778 in llangadwaladr and lived at a house called (college) near Aberffraw .  yours john

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 June 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Welcome to RootsChat.

I'm not related to the Jerman (Jarman, German etc.) Anglesey family but most of my family history is based on Anglesey and I have researched this family a bit in recent years.
The Thomas Jarman discussed in this post was (probably) the son of William and Mary Jarman, born Aberffraw Oct 1830. I haven't previously looked at Thomas Jerman b. 1778 in Llangadwaladr, but he is clearly from an earlier generation.

I've listed below some of the facts I have been able to find about him and his family - apologies if you already have this information.

Census 1841: Coledge, Llangadwaladr - Thomas Jarman, 60, weaver; Elizabeth, 45; Thomas, 15; Lewis, 5; all born Anglesey.

Census 1851: College, Llangadwaladr - Thomas Jerman, 72, weaver; Elizabeth, 56, Thomas, 27, weaver; Lewis, 15; all born Llangadwaladr.

Census 1861: Colledge, Llangadwaladr - Thomas Jarman (but transcribed Farman), 83, widower, pauper; Lewis, 25, weaver; both born Aberffraw.

I think Thomas Jerman married three times:
Thomas Jerman married Gwen Roberts 4 Jan 1820, Llangadwaladr, both otp.
Thomas Jerman, of Llangadwaladr, widower, married Elizabeth Jones, otp, spinster 21 Jun 1830, Aberffraw.
But note that Thomas signed his name in 1820 but signed by mark in 1830.   ???

Judging from the baptisms and burials below, Thomas was married first to a Mary Jones, I guess sometime before 1801, but I haven't found the marriage.

Baptisms:
Dorothy the daughter of Thos. Jairman was baptized 7 Dec 1801, P. of Llangadwalader.
Margaret daughter of Thos. Jarmon of the parish of Llangadwalader was bapt. ?? Jan 1804.
Jane daughter of Thos. Jarmain by Mary his wife, parish of Llangadwaladr was bapt. 12 Mar 1806.
Anne daughter of Thos. Jarmain by Mary his wife parish of Llangadwaladr was baptized 2nd July 1808.
Dorothy the daughter of Thomas Jairman by Mary his wife was born 11 Apr and bapt. 29 Apr 1810.
(The above in Rhosmeirch Independent, Llangefni, on Ancestry)

Margaret dau of Thomas Jarman weaver, College, (Llangadwaladr) & Mary Jones (Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf) b. 14 Jun 1811.
Mary dau of Thomas Jarman weaver, College, (Llangadwaladr) & Mary Jones (Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf) b. 2 Aug 1813.
Elizabeth dau of Thomas Jarman weaver, Llangadwaladr, (Llangadwaladr) & Mary Jones (Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf) b. 20 Oct 1815
Thomas son of Thomas Jarman weaver, Blach (Aberffraw) & Gwen Roberts (Llangadwaladr) b. 13 Jul 1823.
(The above in Calvinistic Methodist Births/Baptisms, Anglesey - (Pre-1837), Genuki)

Deaths/burials:

Burial Mary Jerman, College, 26 Oct 1818, age 44 – Llangadwaladr PR
Burial Mary Jerman, College, 12 Jan 1819, age 4 – Llangadwaladr PR
Burial Gwen Roberts, College, 11 Dec 1828, age 48 – Llangadwaladr PR
Death Thomas Jerman, Llangadwaladr, 27 Aug 1851, weaver age 28. Informant Jane Roberts, Llangadwaladr.
Death Thomas Jerman, Collage Llangadwaladr, 20 Jun 1862, weaver age 84. Informant Sarah Jones.
Death Elizabeth Jerman, Collage Llangadwaladr, 12 Jul 1860, age 67, wife of weaver Thomas Jerman. Informant Lewis Jerman.

Llangadwaladr parish records has his baptism - 'Thomas the son of John Jerman and Jane Roberts his wife was baptized 10 April 1778'.

I have also found baptisms for several of his siblings, it looks like many of the Anglesey Jarmans may be descended from John Jarman and Jane Roberts.

I hope you find some of this useful, how are you connected to this Thomas Jerman?

Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones:

Offline John Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
The Thomas Jerman Jones who lived at college in parish of llangadwaladr wes married at Llanbeulan chapel  on 9th may 1797 to Mary Jones.  My grandad,s name was Thomas Jerman Jones  and he lived in Portdinorwic. yours john

Offline dragonT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hello John,

Thanks for the PMs and the details of Thomas Jerman's marriage to Mary Jones. This marriage is shown here  too (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QGKV-1M43).

While researching Thomas Jerman and others with the same, or similar, surname on Anglesey it became clear that several were siblings, children of John Jerman and Jane Roberts. You have told me that you have information about fifteen of their children (!), so I'll just list what I found below. Please correct this and add those I've missed!

Thomas baptized 10 Apr 1778 Llangadwaladr, son of John Jerman & Jane Roberts his wife. You mentioned that Thomas was the youngest child.
William (crossed out and replaced by Richard) bpt. 8 Jan 1775 Aberffraw, son of John Jerman & Jane his wife.
Hannah bpt. 28 Mar 1773 Llangadwalader, dau. of John Jerman of Treberfedd & Jane Roberts his wife. Hannah German, infant, buried Aberffraw 9 Mar 1774.
Edward Jerman buried 22 Feb 1832, Aberffraw, age 61 (b.~1771)
Lewis Jarman died 10 Sep 1856, age 87. Born Llanllyfni according to 1851 census (b.~1769)
Dorothy bpt. 16 Oct 1767 Llanllyfni (CAE) dau. of John Jerman Teacher of a Welsh school by Jane his wife.
Richard bpt. 15 Dec 1765 Aber (CAE) son of John German by Jane his wife.
Ellen Jerman (may be husband's surname?) buried 30 Mar 1830 Llechcynfarwydd age 77 (b.~1753)

Your PM mentioned that John Jarman was born Bugeildy/Beguildy, Radnorshire in about 1713. I've noticed that Jarman is a much more common name in the Radnorshire/Montgomeryshire area. There is a baptism which may be him. It is rather faint and in Latin - on 20 Feb 1714 at Bugeildy, John (Johan) son of John German and Elizabeth his wife. 
Anglesey - Thomas:
Anglesey - Jones:

Offline John Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 July 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
Good morning Idris, In reply to your (PM) . I will do my best to answer the questions you asked me.
         1) The date of the marriage was 9 may 1797,Bride,s name was Mary Jones
        2) No details of the marriage sorry .But this might help .Their first child was born in 1829 in Trefdraeth.
         3)Jane Jarmen,s children.
              1. Edward Jones ,born 1829 in  Trefdraeth
              2. Ann Jones ,born 1831
              3.   Thomas Jones (Missionary) born 1833 Llangristiolus
              4.Mary Jones ,born 1837
                5.William Thomas Jones born 1839in Llechcynfarwy
               6.Margared Jones born 1841 in Llandrygan
                7. Hugh Jones born 1844 in Llanbeulan
               4)Sorry donnt have details when Edward born but this might help us  .Edward Jerman son of Thomas Jerman and Mary Jones.
              5) I can,t help you on this question.Sorry
        Ihope this info is of help to you.
     All the best.  your friend John