Author Topic: John Dunbar Birth 25 SEP 1797 Keith, Banffshire, Scotland  (Read 2228 times)

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Dunbar Birth 25 SEP 1797 Keith, Banffshire, Scotland
« on: Friday 25 May 18 13:07 BST (UK) »
Looking for John Dunbar born 1797 in Keith, Scotland

His parents were John Dunbar and Anna Barber.

He married Margaret Bain 22 Feb 1824 in keith.

We believe they came to Canada between 1836 and 1840 based on births of children

They had the following children

John Dunbar 1824–1902

James Dunbar 1826–

William Dunbar 1828–

Alexander Dunbar 1830–

Robert Dunbar 1831–1913

Isabella Dunbar 1833–1917

Margaret Dunbar 1836–1918

George Dunbar 1840–

We know his wife Margaret passed 3 JAN 1890 in Wroxeter, Huron County, Ontario, Canada. 

The 1851 census of Canada shows Margaret is a widow so John passed before that.

We know some family headed to Michigan USA for work but have not found John there as yet.

We also wondered if Margaret came to Canada pregnant as John passed suddenly in Scotland.  We know sister Isabella arrived around 1837 so there was family.  Margaret passed at Isabella's home. Nothing definitive in Scotland.  Also nothing coming up in Michigan
Dunbar, Clark,Bain, Lipp, Campbell, Pope, Barnard, Handcock, McAdams,Creath

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Dunbar Birth 25 SEP 1797 Keith, Banffshire, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 18 15:02 BST (UK) »
Previous thread on George Dunbar for back ground info...............

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=784495.9

Previous thread Isabella Dunbar for back ground info

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=761204.0

Canada Deaths and Burials, 1664-1955 (Index only)

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1520609

In some provinces, authorities began registering births, marriages, and deaths since the 1860s. Complete registration in all the provinces and territories was achieved in the 1920s.

You will need at least the approximate year and place in which province the death occurred. You may need to search other records  such as family Bibles, genealogies, local histories, biographies, cemetery records, pension files, newspaper notices, and probate files etc................

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandra

I have searched the cemetery where daughter Isabella is buried which is in the town where John's spouse passed.  Unfortunately there is a nearby cemetery that has been unmaintained for many years and many markers lost along with records.  There was at attempt to save what is there but no marker for a Dunbar.

Also tried online cemeteries in the Brantford area where the family lived for a period of time

Nothing on Family Search.

So far no luck in Scotland

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 May 18 23:28 BST (UK) »
Did you check the back of George Barnard and Isabella's stone?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 13:15 BST (UK) »
In answer to Don's question. 

I believe I checked all sides of the marker.  When originally viewed the stone was very hard to read.  Since then another relative has had some work done on the stone and it is easier to read. I possibly missed something and will have to revisit

In reviewing my documents, I found I had a possibly  incorrect death for Isabella Stewart Clark and need to search again.  The death I had listed father as William which is incorrect. Mother is listed as Jane Campbell which is correct.  We know her spouse passed on Lucknow, ON area and that is where Isabella may have passed.  Informant is son  R.C Stewart which does not fit children I have but I may have missed one or don't have full names.  Burial in Embro fits as the family lived there for a time. 

I may have a chance to visit that area later this year as it is not far.  So far unable to find cemetery images in Embro  area that match.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 17:39 BST (UK) »
Wingham is the closest (8 miles from Wroxeter).

You can see if her obit is here:

https://pubdocs.huroncounty.ca/weblink/Browse.aspx?startid=68973&cc=1&dbid=3

You can also contact the Huron County Library to see if they have anything else or for that matter the OGS http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~ogshuron

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
A relative recently mentioned that he had heard that John may have been working in Michigan .  Sadly they have no other info than an oral history.

Offline mcadamsd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 21:40 BST (UK) »
Still a dead end in John.

Have reviewed documents for children and it seems daughter Margaret was born in Ontario in 1836 and son George in Ontario in 1841.  Some records have Margaret born Scotland but no birth record found. Possibly a census taker confusing Mother's birth location or something.  But seems possible family arrived around 1835-36

Searching for an arrival for a John Dunbar in pre 1865 arrivals finds no match.  A search of arrivals at Grosse Ile also finds no matching Dunbars

An 1842 Census of Canada has a John Dunbar, Carpenter in St-Malachie, Beauharnois, Quebec, Canada with a total of 6 inhabitants.  I have been unable to view an image and searching for spouse Margaret in same census finds no result.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 May 19 14:37 BST (UK) »
The 1842 census listed only the head of household plus total number of family members.

This looks like the same family in 1852. Wife's name is Mary Linton so it doesn't appear that this is your family. Click on split view at the top to see the image.

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census52/View.jsp?id=69389&highlight=42&desc=1852+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+John+Dunbar

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada