Author Topic: 1901 census  (Read 1009 times)

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1901 census
« on: Friday 25 May 18 14:08 BST (UK) »
Can anyone read the occupation of Joseph Mills age 15 living in Leeds? I just can't make it out.
Thanks AnnieP

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 May 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Crane?
(A bit vague, if so...)

It looks like either a "C" or an "E" at the beginning.

I'm not sure if there is a little wiggle in the middle (which would make it an "E"), or if it's an optical illusion.

The "C" in "Confectioner" at the top of the scan looks straighter, admittedly, but it's not 100% clear.

Are the notes next to the occupations in reference to the companies? Confectioner (Baker D), Waitress (O Inn), etc. If so, it's a shame there ar only initials next to Crane (or whatever it is). That might have helped us...

Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 May 18 16:37 BST (UK) »
I think it's Crane, and the wiggle might be where the ink has bled a little where the lines cross. The 'E' in Elizabeth and Ernest is rather different.

The classification code that's been added looks like ED, which I'm guessing is probably Engine Driver. The 1921 list of occupations has "Stationary Engine and Crane Drivers" as a category that includes many more specific terms - see http://doot.spub.co.uk/code.php?value=950

I believe other years were broadly similar.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnnieP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 May 18 17:19 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you both. On that page in the census there are a number of jobs shown with the railway so this would probably fit.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 18 17:30 BST (UK) »
I have to point out that generally by 1901 you needed to be 16 to work on the railways, though I am sure someone will prove me wrong

Mike

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 May 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
Are the notes next to the occupations in reference to the companies? Confectioner (Baker D), Waitress (O Inn), etc. If so, it's a shame there ar only initials next to Crane (or whatever it is). That might have helped us...

As arthurk mentioned they are all occupational classification codings. After the census was taken it was subjected to statistical analysis, and quite often you see these codings written on the census page. As you can see they are written in a different hand to that of the enumerator.

So, for instance Elizabeth, who is a waitress has been classified as O Inn, which is probably 'Inn, Hotel, Eating House Service, Others'.

All the 1901 classifications can be seen in alphabetical order here http://www.rootschat.com/links/07qq/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 May 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
I have to point out that generally by 1901 you needed to be 16 to work on the railways, though I am sure someone will prove me wrong

We tend to think of engines in relation to trains, but as the occupation lists make clear, there were also stationary engines, which presumably did a lot of the mechanised stuff that's now done with diesel or electric power.

15 does seem quite a young age to be driving/in charge of a crane, though the original census entry doesn't actually specify that he was in charge of it. It's possible that the classification added later was only intended to give a general area of work, rather than a precise occupation: in the list I linked to in reply #2, the heading "Stationary Engine and Crane Drivers" also encompasses various assistants, cleaners etc.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 May 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, JenB!  :)
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd