Author Topic: Private FREDERICK LEONARD DAY #5381031  (Read 755 times)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
Private FREDERICK LEONARD DAY #5381031
« on: Friday 25 May 18 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Looking for information and next of kin of a soldier Private FREDERICK LEONARD DAY #5381031 Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry 2nd (Airborne)Bn who died aged 30 on 24 March 1945.

No kin shown on CWGC certificate. His name is on our village plaque but he is not from this village that I can see.
I believe his mother's surname is White and presume father is DAY. I think this is his birth cert:
GRO gov.uk
DAY, FREDERICK  LEONARD     WHITE     Order
GRO Reference: 1914  J Quarter in WOKINGHAM  Volume 02C  Page 741 though cannot find any census without a given name and with only a surname.

Private
FREDERICK LEONARD
Saturday, March 24, 1945
Age 30
REICHSWALD FOREST WAR CEMETERY
36. B. 10.
VIEW RECORD
Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry
United Kingdom

Sum total of my research so far!  Be really relieved to have some help with him please. I am trying to write a Bio of him for website.
 http://www.kingston-bagpuize.com/war/index.html

WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Private FREDERICK LEONARD DAY #5381031
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 18 23:36 BST (UK) »
Have you checked freebmd or GRO online for other Day/White births in case he had any siblings?

2 births Wokingham - 1904 Harriet Emily and 1910 Edith Rose. 

Have you checked for a Day/White marriage on freebmd to establish his parents names? There is a possible in 1902 - Joseph Day to Lizzie Mary White

1911 has 2 other children in addition to those shown above

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

There are marriages entries for Frederick L Day on freebmd in 1934/38/41/42
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 18 23:57 BST (UK) »

Have you checked for a Day/White marriage on freebmd to establish his parents names? There is a possible in 1902 - Joseph Day to Lizzie Mary White

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

That looks a likely possibility for the parents marriage - they do live in the Wokingham area in 1911. If it was correct he would have had a brother and 3 sisters.
This might mean purchasing the birth certificate for Frederick L Day to be certain.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7LN-95H

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 18 08:13 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks Carole W and Sandra. I think I was getting 'brain-dead' and although I had looked at many possibilities I did not see these.  I will investigate these further now.  I did think I would have to get a cert for Frederick to confirm his parents.

I had in fact settled on a Frederick Day who married in Brighton and now have a family tree for that family.
WALES: Bevan, David, Thomas in area of Ystradyfodwg [Rhondda] Llangeinor and Bettws [Glam] Glamorgan Farms of interest: Graigddu, Gwaunadda, Llwynypia, Maesllan, Penygraig and Cwmsaerbren | RAYMOND, St Davids Pembrokeshire; OWEN St Davids Pembrokeshire; JONES Upper Neath Valley;
ENGLAND: Somerset, Yatton, Kenn, Portishead, Weston-i-Gardano, Clevedon & Bristol. Names: Nethway, Perris, Knight, Gosling, Payne.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
Pleased your making progress.  ;)

Good Luck
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
This is his older brothers birth

Joseph Edward Mark Day mmn White     
September qtr 1903  Bradfield   2C  333

Possible marriage

Marriages December qtr 1927   
Joseph E M Day/Ada M Roberts    Faringdon    2c   827

One daughter born 1930

Death

Joseph E M Day aged 34 September qtr 1937  Brackley (Northants)  3b  2
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline yattonharry

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Best, YattonHarry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 May 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW
That's a great help. Going to have to get Frederick's birth cert though. I am pretty sure I now have the correct family thanks to you and Sandra, but Frederick is *never* with them in any census. Going to examine all brothers now to see is one of those married a White or something else is amiss with this relationship with Fred's father anyhow.