Author Topic: Royal family ethnicity estimates  (Read 3861 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Royal family ethnicity estimates
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 May 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
To stop the public speculating about Harry's father?  (Or confirm the rumours!)

They will just find something else to speculate about! James Hewitt has never denied that he and Diana had an affair, but Harry was born on 15 September 1984 and Diana did not meet James until the summer of 1986. The rumours started because of the hair colour, but a lot of the Spencers have red hair.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 May 18 00:15 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth II - married Philip Mountbatten whose father was Greek and whose mother was German.

The Duke of Edinburgh's father was Prince of Greece and Denmark.  Although born in Athens his ancestry appears to be predominantly Danish, German and Russian. 

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 May 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
Prince Philip’s mother was Alice of Battenburg, and her father was a German Prince who entered the British Royal Navy and relinquished his German titles at the request of King George V.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 May 18 01:16 BST (UK) »
Phillip's DNA was used years ago to determine whether the woman who claimed to be the Russian Princess Anastasia was part of the Russian Royal family. Her DNA didn't match any of Phillip's blood relatives, which meant her claim was dismissed.

Descended from blond Prince Phillip and Princess Diana, I don't know why anyone should doubt Harry's parentage because of his red hair, which surely must be inherited from red haired monarchs, such as Queen Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, etc., and I believe the early ruler "Rufus the Red" carried that name due to his red hair and red face.

One rumour I heard concerning the chilly shoulder presented by Princes Diana, was hearing her husband say "Oh, he's a ginger", when he first saw Harry.

As for the German aspect of the monarchy, I suppose all of us who carry ancient Anglo Saxon genes must have come from the same part of Saxon Germany
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 May 18 01:24 BST (UK) »
As mentioned earlier in the topic, the current royal family may have been imported from Germany but European royalty has been interbreeding for well over a thousand years. I doubt their DNA is anything like the natives of any particular European country, the best you could probably describe them is "generally European".

Descended from blond Prince Phillip and Princess Diana, I don't know why anyone should doubt Harry's parentage because of his red hair, which surely must be inherited from red haired monarchs, such as Queen Elizabeth I, Henry VIII, etc., and I believe the early ruler "Rufus the Red" carried that name due to his red hair and red face.
Harry's maternal uncle is ginger. It's a Spencer trait.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 May 18 02:26 BST (UK) »
There is a page on FTDNA that lists alleged/supposed Haplogroups based on external relatives that have tested

A popular search engine asking Prince Philips Haplogroup might find it

Kings & Queens of England or Great Britain

Edward IV (1442-1483) => J1c2c (mtDNA)
Richard III (1452-1485) => J1c2c (mtDNA)
James I (1566-1625) => R1b-L21 (Y-DNA)
Charles I (1600-1649) => T2 (mtDNA) ; R1b-L21 (Y-DNA)
Henrietta Maria of France (1609-1669) => H (mtDNA)
Charles II (1630-1685) => H (mtDNA) ; R1b-L21 (Y-DNA)
James II (1633-1701) => H (mtDNA) ; R1b-L21 (Y-DNA)
William III (1650-1702) => H (mtDNA)
George I (1660-1727) => T2 (mtDNA)
George III (1738-1820) => T2 (mtDNA)
Victoria (1819-1901) => H (mtDNA)
Edward VII (1841-1910) => H (mtDNA) R1b-U106 (Z305+) (Y-DNA)
Alexandra of Denmark (1844-1925) => T2 (mtDNA)
George V (1865-1936) => T2 (mtDNA) R1b-U106 (Z305+) (Y-DNA)
Edward VIII (1894-1972) => R1b-U106 (Z305+) (Y-DNA)
George VI (1895-1952) => R1b-U106 (Z305+) (Y-DNA)
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh => H (mtDNA) ; R1b (Y-DNA)
Charles, Prince of Wales => R1b (Y-DNA)
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge => R30b (mtDNA) ; R1b (Y-DNA)

Kings & Queens of Scotland

James III (1451-1488) => U5b* (mtDNA)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 May 18 17:33 BST (UK) »

Elizabeth II - married Philip Mountbatten whose father was Greek and whose mother was German.

The Duke of Edinburgh's father was Prince of Greece and Denmark.  Although born in Athens his ancestry appears to be predominantly Danish, German and Russian.

Going slightly off-topic:

Queen Victoria was the last Hanoverian monarch.
Edward VII and successors are of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (name changed to Windsor)
Elizabeth II should therefore be the last of the House of Windsor.
Will Elizabeth's successors be from Prince Philip's House (which I think is Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg)? Or, as Philip adopted the family name Mountbatten, would they take that as a family name?
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 May 18 18:41 BST (UK) »
I believe that Elizabeth decreed that her descendants would take the name Mountbatten-Windsor or just Windsor. In her case I think she decided to keep her House because she is the blood monarch and Prince Philip is not.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 May 18 13:28 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth I's red hair was passed on to nobody, she was a "barren stock!" as she said herself! All the monarchs who succeeded her are descended from Mary Queen of Scots, including Diana POW. Multiple descent in some cases.

Skoosh.