Author Topic: Portugal in 1814  (Read 593 times)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portugal in 1814
« on: Sunday 27 May 18 03:18 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have an ancestor Thomas Allwood who had a daughter who says on a census she was born in Portugal in 1814 ??? ???.  Mary Ann Allwood was baptized in Birmingham in 1822 at the age of 10 years  and this is where the family lived for the rest of their lives.   I have no knowledge of Thomas Allwood ever having been in the military.   I cannot find any other reason for him having a child born in Portugal.   Would the British Army have been serving there in 1814?   Thomas was involved in the metal industry in Aston Birmingham for most of his life.   Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Portugal in 1814
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:36 BST (UK) »
April 1814 was the end of the Peninsular Wars in Spain and Portugal in which Wellington's army had been fighting against Napoleon since 1807.  It was not uncommon for women to accompany the armies even on campaign so the mother may have been a wife or a local.

Haven't found his name (yet) in any records but I'll have a look.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:51 BST (UK) »
There is a pension record for a Thomas Allwood formerly of the 15th Dragoons (who fought in the Peninsular).  Only identifying info is age 41 in 1814, born Edinburgh.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 May 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
The one who served in the 15th Dragoons was a paper hanger by trade. Served in the 15th Dragoons from May 1798 to June 1811, then in in 9th Royal Veteran Battalion till 1814.

There was also a Thomas Allwood from Alderton, Wiltshire who served in the 9th Foot from 1802 to 1819. Born circa 1784. A labourer.

Other Thomas Allwoods in the army at that time: one in the 11th Foot, 1st Battalion; one in the 3rd Veteran Battalion; one in 3rd Foot, 2nd Battalion (born Howden, Yorkshire); one in the 104th Foot. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 May 18 15:21 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor Thomas Allwood who had a daughter who says on a census she was born in Portugal in 1814 ??? ???.  Mary Ann Allwood was baptized in Birmingham in 1822 at the age of 10 years  and this is where the family lived for the rest of their lives.

Do you know the name of Thomas' wife?  If you know her birth/baptism details and where they married, it could help to identify which of the Thomas Allwoods in the Army might have been her husband.

The one who served in the 15th Dragoons was a paper hanger by trade. Served in the 15th Dragoons from May 1798 to June 1811, then in in 9th Royal Veteran Battalion till 1814.

There was also a Thomas Allwood from Alderton, Wiltshire who served in the 9th Foot from 1802 to 1819. Born circa 1784. A labourer.

Other Thomas Allwoods in the army at that time: one in the 11th Foot, 1st Battalion; one in the 3rd Veteran Battalion; one in 3rd Foot, 2nd Battalion (born Howden, Yorkshire); one in the 104th Foot. 

ShaunJ - could you give us the source of this information?

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 May 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ - could you give us the source of this information?

It's all from FindMyPast and Ancestry !
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 June 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Did the wife follow the army in Portugal. They may have . Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 June 18 09:26 BST (UK) »
Is that a question?

It was not uncommon for women to accompany the armies even on campaign so the mother may have been a wife or a local.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk