Author Topic: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)  (Read 16253 times)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Parents of George Randall (born around 1823)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:10 BST (UK) »
Rotten Row Derby about 1865 and street directory 1843.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:16 BST (UK) »
That's amazing, solidrock! It must be our George, not sure about the ship building story now. It's such a mystery. It's strange though, because sailing is in our blood. My grandfather (George's son) had pearling luggers in the Torres Strait in the early days and my dad had a beautiful yacht.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:31 BST (UK) »
I had a look for ship builders in Devon but can'y find any Randall.  There is this one but he's in Kent.
John Randall (1755–1802) was an English shipbuilder

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:52 BST (UK) »

".. It must be our George, not sure about the ship building story now. "

It confirms that that the person the other researcher found, does exist. But that does not means it is your George.

The shipbuilding story probably has some connection to your ancestry but not in the way you are hearing it. By the time you are giving this information it is third hand, and stories are easily changed for the repeated telling.

A man from a family of ship builders / owners would hardly describe himself as a labourer.

What names do you see for witnesses on the marriage certificate, 1850.

Apart from hearing the shipbuilding story, what have you done so far to research the origins of George RANDALL, married 1850, Adelaide?

You need to talk with the other researcher to find how they have connected your George to George and Martha Augusta RANDALL.

George and Ellen RANDALL have three daughters, and Martha.....Augusta...does not feature in their names.  Just something to note.

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 May 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks solidrock, I searched the name you gave me for that shipbuilder on the internet and by the looks of what he achieved I'm sure we'd have heard about him if he was an ancestor. Thanks very much for your help.

Wivenhoe, the names of the witnesses on the marriage certificate are hard to read, but they look like: Robert Coad and Marg McLean.

I have lost touch with my distant cousin who found the information about George, and I've searched many sites on the Internet to try to find more on him. The details I have after his arrival in Australia include his marriage certificate and burial details. There are no details of his parents in any of the information I have. I also have a lot of handwritten notes from my mum and other relatives to sort through, however it's getting the time to do it. If I find anything useful in the notes I'll post it on here. Thanks very much for your help.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 May 18 01:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, Still on the case. You mentioned that George lost Dingley Dell in a card game to poet Adam Lindsay Gordon. In  Adam Lindsay Gordon's biography it states " In March 1864 Gordon bought Dingley Dell, a cottage near Port MacDonnell."

Adam Lindsay Gordon purchased the property on 8 March 1864 from George Randall, who had built the Mount Gambier stone cottage two years earlier but had decided to quit farming and become a publican.

http://www.freestylepublications.com.au/show_article.asp?id=85

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/gordon-adam-lindsay-3635

Dingley Dell was the home of Adam Lindsay Gordon from 1864 to 1867. There is a legend that Gordon won the cottage in a card game from its owner George Randall...

http://www.dingleydell.net/

1864 Mar. 8 Dingley Dell transferred by George Randall (Transfer No. 7076 Title Deeds) to Adam Lindsay Gordon, Gentleman. 101 Acres Approx)
(J.K. Moir Border Watch (Mount Gambier,Thursday 2 December 1937, page 1)

https://algordonpartsix.travellerspoint.com/

So I think all this has dispelled that myth of a card game.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 May 18 02:43 BST (UK) »
This maybe where the ship builder legend started, William Richard Randell (1824-1911), paddle-steamer owner and politician, was born on 2 May 1824 at Sidbury, Devon, England. I don't think he is connected.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/randell-william-richard-4450

What we need to find is immigration and passenger lists around 1845-1850 but I don't think passenger lists started untill 1852.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 May 18 03:48 BST (UK) »
You may already have this, the marriage of George (1788) to Martha. Looks like they came from Nottinghamshire but I think Martha's surname has been transcribed wrongly.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKMV-XBW

Offline Dee Lusional

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 May 18 04:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for still being on the case, solidrock, I really appreciate it. I already have the information that you posted about Dingley Dell and I can assure you that the card game story is indeed true. My mother wrote down the story of the card game that my Aunty Gladys (George’s granddaughter) told her and when my mum visited Dingley Dell years ago she told the Trust the story and that is where the so-called myth came from.

This is the story my mother wrote, which is from the notes I have: "Grandfather (Walter 1st, George’s son), said he (Adam Lindsay Gordon) was a worthless person, wanted money the easy way and was cruel to horses. He shot himself at 37 years of age because he was at the end of the line, and left a poor young wife who had lost her child, to find him and then fend for herself. It states in the booklet (about Adam Lindsay Gordon and mentioned at the beginning of the note) that he bought the home (Dingley Dell) from George Randall - not so. George Randall sailed his father's boat out from England, and sold it and the cargo (whether he should have or not!!) and must have kept it (whether he should have or not). Anyhow, I don't know how soon ( because he was a worker at one stage) he bought the land of Dingley Dell, records prove this and he had the home built, other records show the price he paid too. Now the family story goes, and much bitterment with it that George was drinking at the local inn, Mt Gambier, and Gordon approached him and suggested a card game. George replied that he was drinking - Gordon replied, "Just a friendly game".

Anyhow, next morning Gordon was on the steps of Dingley Dell with two witnesses to say that he had won the property in the card game the night before so he (George) lost his home and farm and became a hotelier at Mt Gambier. Dingley Dell was named after some property in England.

Years ago the Trust caring for Dingley Dell said they had all the figures covering the purchase of the land by George Randall and the building of the home, but no figures pertaining to the sale of the property to Adam Lindsay Gordon or the handover of the deeds, which would have normally gone through the local government office”. End of story from Mum’s notes.

Did you know that Adam Lindsay Gordon was a remittance man?